WARNING! Have tissues ready

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

WARNING! Have tissues ready

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 29, 2008 12:32 pm

First the setup….

Yesterday was my youngest daughter’s 5th grade graduation. It is a big deal these days. I didn’t make it as I had an offsite meeting I needed to attend, but I think, I think, she understood. I did make it to her DARE graduation a few weeks ago and of course had lunch with her last week. The timing just wasn’t right for me to get to her school for a 2:30 ceremony. She got lots of awards and was very proud, and rightly so. Anyway, this isn’t about her.

Last night the PTO put on a 5th grade formal at the school to help the 5th graders celebrate. The kids all dressed very nice. The PTO decorated the cafeteria like it was a high school prom. The PTO moms (yes, they are all moms, no dads) worked hard for weeks preparing, my wife included. My wife spent a lot of time last week and this week helping. We blew up 100 red, silver and black balloons, as did 9 or 10 other families.

About 10 dads dressed in tuxedos and manned the front drive and front doors of the school opening the car doors for the kids and oooing and awing over them as they walked the red carpet into the school.

My wife spend the night at the party running a photo booth taking pictures of the kids in front of a really nice backdrop the PTO moms made. Each 5th grader got 1 photo. Many chose friends for a group shot, some chose to be by themselves. In all, my wife took about 120 pictures.

So she gets home about 9:00 and asks me to go up to Walgreens with her so she can get the photos developed so they can be sorted by teachers’ classes and given to the kids today (the last day of school). Grumpy me complains and asks why SHE has to do it all, why she spent 30 hours or more working on the party when tomorrow she is hosting the teachers luncheon and there are things to be done around our house! She let me know it wasn't just her putting in all the time, lots of others put in more time.

Well, I went anyway. I took us a little over a hour at Walgreens to crop and border all the pictures and send them to the machine for developing. My wife was appreciative of my company while she did it, but I still felt a little Grinchy over her donating so much of her time to the event.

The elementary school is a very mixed school with a large portion of upper middle class and a large portion of poor kids (lots of free breakfasts and lunches). Consequently, almost all of the PTO work is done by the moms who don’t have to work. For some it is close to a full time job in itself.

Anyway, here is an email my wife (and the entire PTO) got today. It literally brought tears to this Grinch’s eyes.
Spoiler
hi, my name is helen xxxx single mom of 3 childrens, (ashley xxxxxxx) is my little girl.. yesterday as i drop off my daughther i was so excited that my little girl ...finish her 5th grade. i am very proud of my daughter that i love very so much. but i want to share something with you parents thank you , thank you .......you dont know what it meant to me to see all the parents pulling this together for our childrens that we love so much......
as i was dropping off my daughter she was nerveous...but i told her it be okay, but, to me it was very emocional to see all the (dads)... in the tuxedo suit that they look great...!!!.and i wish my little girl dad would be there.
i broke out crying ......just to see all the dads there ....for there childrens..THANK YOU DAD YOU DID A WONDERFULL JOB.....!!!

I just want to personally .....thank you for all the effort and love that you put for your childrens...

THANK YOU SO MUCH......MAY GOD BLESS YOU..
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

I think there may be a missing apostrophe in there somewhere.....

lb13

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Makes every minute of effort worth while!

Great job!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm

That is a wonderful story, BiT. Thank you for sharing it with us.

nitrah55

#5 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice.

Funny how the things we don't think count, count.
I am about 25% sure of this.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#6 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:13 pm

nitrah55 wrote:Nice.

Both the story, and this quote, were very nice. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 pm

That is a very nice story.

The reality of my PTA is that the "same ten people" work their asses of putting on an event and people who call or email do so to complain.

I used to try to reason with them, but then I started staying, "wow, if you could do such a good job, let me take down your name so that you can help with the committee next year."

We had a situation working the 6th grade memory books. The editor senty flyers out all year asking for pictures. Finally a few weeks ago a note went out saying the May 16th was the final deadline. Some of the parents in the the Special Day Class didn't turn in their pictures and wanted to turn them in a week late. There was no way to work in the pictures and have the entire album sent to print shop on time. They threw a fit and asked for their money back because their kids wouldn't be in the book as much.

The irony of the situation is that not one of the parents had paid for 6th grade camp or any of the parties or events.

My friend and I are doing a similar end of the year party. I've spent at least twenty hours working on planning and lanyards and more will happen next when when we have to go shopping. I would be willing to bet money though that somebody will complain next year.

People like to complain, that's why it's so difficult to get new volunteers.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 pm

I did cry.

I also love that the mom sent that e-mail while probably knowing she would/could be judged on so many levels.

Thank you and thank MrsBiT for what you did for her daughter and for her (and the others whose mom's didn't write).

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:That is a very nice story.

The reality of my PTA is that the "same ten people" work their asses of putting on an event and people who call or email do so to complain.

I used to try to reason with them, but then I started staying, "wow, if you could do such a good job, let me take down your name so that you can help with the committee next year."

We had a situation working the 6th grade memory books. The editor senty flyers out all year asking for pictures. Finally a few weeks ago a note went out saying the May 16th was the final deadline. Some of the parents in the the Special Day Class didn't turn in their pictures and wanted to turn them in a week late. There was no way to work in the pictures and have the entire album sent to print shop on time. They threw a fit and asked for their money back because their kids wouldn't be in the book as much.

The irony of the situation is that not one of the parents had paid for 6th grade camp or any of the parties or events.

My friend and I are doing a similar end of the year party. I've spent at least twenty hours working on planning and lanyards and more will happen next when when we have to go shopping. I would be willing to bet money though that somebody will complain next year.

When I volunteer I claim complaint immunity. I can't hear you.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:That is a very nice story.

My dad had a saying that I think he got from HIS dad:
Do it because you want to, not because you think you'll get rewarded for it.

Reward includes compliments and thanks.

The takers will always bitch. Ignore the fools.

Occasionally, you get something like BiT did. It makes it seem more worthwhile than you already thought it was.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#11 Post by Rexer25 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:06 pm

BiT,

Thanks
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:07 pm

A Most Excellent story, BiT.

As Nitrah said:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller