Where's George?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Where's George?

#1 Post by earendel » Fri May 30, 2008 6:00 am

In my change from lunch yesterday I received a $1 bill with the "Where's George" stamp on it, so I decided to enter it, something I've never done before. According to the Web site, the bill started out in Niagara Falls, NY, (11/14/2006) then moved to Buffalo (2/28/2007). Those are the only two log entries for the bill.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:07 am

I suppose you might have entered yours, maybe?

George moved south for the summer - not the direction I would go.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 30, 2008 6:24 am

Welcome to the club, ear! :)

Beast will be able to give you a lot more statistics, but having two previous hits isn't bad. Usually, a George I get has only been reported by the original entrant.

5LD

#4 Post by 5LD » Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 am

Shortly after I first read about where's George on this bored we got a George bill and looked it up. It was first/last logged in on Dec 29th 2006 in Fairport NY.

My son won't spend it because he's a saver/collector of things and he enjoyed it too much. I keep trying to explain that he has to spend it to find out where it goes next.....but every time he uses some money he checks to make sure the where's george bill is safely at home first.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Welcome to the club, ear! :)

Beast will be able to give you a lot more statistics, but having two previous hits isn't bad. Usually, a George I get has only been reported by the original entrant.

Obviously the most likely scenario is that a wild bill is only going to have one previous entry, and there is some mathematical correlation between the decreasing likelyhood that it will have 2 entries, then 3 entries, etc... but I'm about as good as Kazoo at math anymore....

Of the 112 wilds I have found, my record is a bill that had 4 previous entries. And this bill is the bill I initially entered that has gotten the most hits... 6 in all.

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 am

5LD wrote:Shortly after I first read about where's George on this bored we got a George bill and looked it up. It was first/last logged in on Dec 29th 2006 in Fairport NY.

My son won't spend it because he's a saver/collector of things and he enjoyed it too much. I keep trying to explain that he has to spend it to find out where it goes next.....but every time he uses some money he checks to make sure the where's george bill is safely at home first.

Awwww! That's sweet, but you're right that Where's George branded bill aren't supposed to be collected, they're supposed to be spent! Try telling your son about the excitement of getting an e-mail every time someone else reports a bill he's already reported. (Frankly, that doesn't happen all that often, but you don't have to mention that.) It's like George is sending him postcards from his vacation! :)

And if your son really likes the idea, you can get him one of those rubber stamps and let him start entering serial numbers for all your Georges. 8)

fantine33

#7 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

Obviously the most likely scenario is that a wild bill is only going to have one previous entry, and there is some mathematical correlation between the decreasing likelyhood that it will have 2 entries, then 3 entries, etc... but I'm about as good as Kazoo at math anymore....

Of the 112 wilds I have found, my record is a bill that had 4 previous entries. And this bill is the bill I initially entered that has gotten the most hits... 6 in all.

lb13
Okay, I actually clicked on the link and looked at that site. It's an OCDer's Delight! What do the hit #s mean in the Quik Stop entry?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 am

fantine33 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Okay, I actually clicked on the link and looked at that site. It's an OCDer's Delight! What do the hit #s mean in the Quik Stop entry?

The hit numbers. The first time that bill was re-entered, it was my 771st hit. The second hit was #930 for me, etc.

I got my 5,791st hit late last night to give you an idea of where I stand now.... and yes, WG is a bastion of OCD fun! So was maintaining my detailed profile until I got a bit too distracted this year....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 30, 2008 7:13 am

littlebeast13 wrote:And this bill is the bill I initially entered that has gotten the most hits... 6 in all.
Wow! Found on the ground for one report--that George is a slippery rascal!

With all those reports from Michigan, he's obviously trying to find his way to Kalamazoo! :)

fantine33

#10 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:

The hit numbers. The first time that bill was re-entered, it was my 771st hit. The second hit was #930 for me, etc.

I got my 5,791st hit late last night to give you an idea of where I stand now.... and yes, WG is a bastion of OCD fun! So was maintaining my detailed profile until I got a bit too distracted this year....

lb13
Okay, what does hit mean? Like 771 times someone has entered a bill you've previously entered? Or is it strictly bills you originated?

It's a good thing that I so seldom pay in cash for anything that I hardly ever have any paper money. Now that I don't have lots of ones for buying water at the Pepsi Center (ironic, I know) I only have money if somebody's paying me back for something.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:17 am

fantine33 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:

lb13
Okay, what does hit mean? Like 771 times someone has entered a bill you've previously entered? Or is it strictly bills you originated?

Any future entry on a bill that I enter (Whether I originated it or not, though 99% of my hits are on bills I originally entered) counts as a hit.

lb13

ThePepsiGeneration
Merry Man

#12 Post by ThePepsiGeneration » Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 am

fantine33 wrote:It's a good thing that I so seldom pay in cash for anything that I hardly ever have any paper money. Now that I don't have lots of ones for buying water at the Pepsi Center (ironic, I know) I only have money if somebody's paying me back for something.

Just as long as it's Aquafina, dear. That natural spring we have in the executive washroom nets us even more money than when Beast takes that 52oz. hernia jug to Quik Trip to fill it up with the real stuff....

ThePepsiGeneration
Merry Man

#13 Post by ThePepsiGeneration » Fri May 30, 2008 7:21 am

And speaking of ironic, the dumbass in my avatar's filling his cup up with water.....

Lurking Bill
Merry Man

#14 Post by Lurking Bill » Fri May 30, 2008 8:19 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
I was going to be named Wild Bill. But it was already taken. :(
Don't call me George!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#15 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:21 am

Lurking Bill wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
I was going to be named Wild Bill. But it was already taken. :(

You coulda been wild_bill_77.....

lb13

KillerTomato

#16 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 pm

FYI, there's a column on Where's George? in this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08153/886306-155.stm
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:10 pm

KillerTomato wrote:FYI, there's a column on Where's George? in this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Hey, the article mentions Wattsburg Gary. I've gotten one of his Georges! :)