QoD May 30, 2008 Jeopardy! "Beautiful" Movies

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

QoD May 30, 2008 Jeopardy! "Beautiful" Movies

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 am

Fridays are Jeopardy! Days in the June QoD so get your questionmaker ready. Below are five clues and a "Daily Double" in the category of "Beautiful" movies. As fans of the TV show know, the fact that the word "beautiful" is in quotes means that all of your questions should contain that word. Today's game will stay open until Monday morning at 8:00 Central time.

Special rules for Jeopardy!:

Phrase your responses in the form of a question!!

Unlike the TV show version, you do not lose points for an incorrect question (except on the Daily Double), so guess away.

In the spoiler box below is a Daily Double. Before you unspoil it, indicate whether you wish to bet all, one-half, one-quarter or none of TODAY's points on your response. You will not jeopardize or gain points won on preceding games with your Daily Double bet.

No Googling or other search engines allowed, other than your brain.

Point values are as indicated by the clues, which means that the maximum points one could win today would be 110.

Good luck and have fun!

"Beautiful" Movies

4 pts: Ron Howard won an Oscar for Best Director, and Russell Crowe was nominated for Best Actor for this 2001 film based on a true story.

8 pts: This 1997 movie marked the second time an actor had won a Best Actor Oscar for directing himself, and also the second time an acting Oscar had been given for a performance completely in Italian.

12 pts: The title of this 2001 Kirsten Dunst vehicle about an out-of-control rich girl who falls for a Latino boy from the wrong side of the tracks probably refers to the two attributes of the girl that keep the boy hanging around.

16 pts: The title characters of this 1996 movie include Annabeth Gish, Martha Plimpton, and Natalie Portman, who plays a 13-year-old girl that Timothy Hutton develops a crush on. EWWWWWWWW!!!!!

20 pts: Despite the title, this nifty little mid-1980s movie which starred Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis, is not a "soap" opera.

Daily Double:
Spoiler
The tagline from this 1940s Preston Sturges comedy starring Betty Grable was “She had the biggest Six-Shooters in the West!”
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

fantine33

Re: QoD May 30, 2008 Jeopardy! "Beautiful" Movies

#2 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:24 am

Spoiler
I wasn't going to play (get out of there and give someone else a chance!) this month, but it's karma that here I am to complain about Sploofus and nobody answered yet. Ha!

"Beautiful" Movies

4 pts: Ron Howard won an Oscar for Best Director, and Russell Crowe was nominated for Best Actor for this 2001 film based on a true story.

What is A Beautiful Mind

8 pts: This 1997 movie marked the second time an actor had won a Best Actor Oscar for directing himself, and also the second time an acting Oscar had been given for a performance completely in Italian.

What is La Vita e Bella

12 pts: The title of this 2001 Kirsten Dunst vehicle about an out-of-control rich girl who falls for a Latino boy from the wrong side of the tracks probably refers to the two attributes of the girl that keep the boy hanging around.

What is Crazy/Beautiful

16 pts: The title characters of this 1996 movie include Annabeth Gish, Martha Plimpton, and Natalie Portman, who plays a 13-year-old girl that Timothy Hutton develops a crush on. EWWWWWWWW!!!!!

What is Beautiful Girls

20 pts: Despite the title, this nifty little mid-1980s movie which starred Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis, is not a "soap" opera.

What is My Beautiful Laundrette

Damn, I know the DD but I can't really answer in good conscience, since doing a quote shows the spoiler!

Daily Double:
Spoiler
The tagline from this 1940s Preston Sturges comedy starring Betty Grable was “She had the biggest Six-Shooters in the West!”

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 am

Spoiler
4 pts: What is "A Beautiful Mind"?

8 pts: What is "Life Is Beautiful"?

12 pts: What is "Crazy Beautiful"?

16 pts: What is "Beautiful Girls"?

20 pts:

Daily Double: half my points
Darn it, I don't know.

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 am

Spoiler
4: What is "A Beautiful Mind"?
8: What is "Life Is Beautiful"?
12: What is "Crazy/Beautiful"?
16: pass
20: What is "The Bold and the Beautiful"?

DD bet: half
DD answer: What is "The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend"?

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 am

Spoiler

What is A Beautiful Mind?

What is Life is Beautiful?

And I can't even guess on the rest...

I bet nothing on the DD.

LookingForHumorPoints
Merry Man

#6 Post by LookingForHumorPoints » Fri May 30, 2008 7:38 am

"Beautiful" Movies

What is "A Beautiful Gladiator"?

What is "Beautiful, I've Got To Squint At Subtitles for Two Hours!"?

What is "You Have Beautiful Boobs, Chica"?

What is "Hey Beautiful! What Are You Doing With This Guy From 'Dateline'?"?

What is "You Look Beautiful When You Haven't Washed In Five Days"?

Daily Double:

What is "Keep Your Gun In That Holster, Beautiful"?

LFHP

wintergreen48

#7 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:41 am

Spoiler
"Beautiful" Movies

4 pts: What is 'A Beautiful Mind'?

8 pts: What is 'Life is Beautiful'?

12 pts: What is a Beautiful movie I have no idea about?

16 pts: What is another Beautiful movie I have no idea about?

20 pts: What is yet another Beautiful movie I have no idea about?

Daily Wager: All I got, it ain't much.

Daily Double: What is 'My Beautiful Clementine'? (I am making this up, I have no idea)

Catfish

#8 Post by Catfish » Fri May 30, 2008 7:49 am

Spoiler

What is Life Is Beautiful?

What is Beautiful, uh, Cheekbones?

What is Beautiful Jailbait?

What is Beautiful Left Foot?

ALL

What is Beautiful Gunslinger?
Catfish

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by etaoin22 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:08 am

Spoiler

first one: What is "A Beautiful Mind"

lsecond one: What is "A Beautiful Life:

\third one" What are "Beautivul Bazookas"

forth one: What is "All the Beautiful Horses"

firth one: "What is "The Bold [/] and the Beautiful

no dd

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:29 am

Spoiler
1. What is "A Beautiful Mind"
2. What is "Life is Beautiful"
3. What is "Crazy Beautiful"
4. What is "Beautiful Girls"
5. nope

DD nope

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#11 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 am

Spoiler
What is: A Beautiful Mind?
What is: Life is Beautiful?
What is:----------
What is: Beautiful Girls?
What is: The Bold And The Beautiful? Please don't laugh, total guess based on the clue.
Daily Double:
Spoiler
[/quote] I would bet it all, making it a true daily double, and would lose it all since I don't even have a guess.

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:52 am

[quote="mrkelley23"]

4 pts: Ron Howard won an Oscar for Best Director, and Russell Crowe was nominated for Best Actor for this 2001 film based on a true story. What is A Beautiful Mind?

8 pts: This 1997 movie marked the second time an actor had won a Best Actor Oscar for directing himself, and also the second time an acting Oscar had been given for a performance completely in Italian. What is Life is Beautiful?

12 pts: The title of this 2001 Kirsten Dunst vehicle about an out-of-control rich girl who falls for a Latino boy from the wrong side of the tracks probably refers to the two attributes of the girl that keep the boy hanging around. What is Cute Smart and Beautiful Girl?

16 pts: The title characters of this 1996 movie include Annabeth Gish, Martha Plimpton, and Natalie Portman, who plays a 13-year-old girl that Timothy Hutton develops a crush on. EWWWWWWWW!!!!! What is Beautiful Girls?

I will not be playing the daily double.

Tank Yew

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri May 30, 2008 10:24 am

Spoiler

What is A Beautiful Mind

What is Beautiful Life

What is Crazy Beautiful

nope
Daily Double:
Spoiler
Spoiler:

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

andrewjackson

#14 Post by andrewjackson » Fri May 30, 2008 11:25 am

Spoiler
4 pts: What is A Beautiful Mind?

8 pts: What is Life is Beautiful?

12 pts: What is Crazy/Beautiful?

16 pts: What is Beautiful People?

20 pts: What is My Beautiful Laundrette?

Daily Double: Quarter bet

WAG, What is The Most Beautiful Gun in the West?
No matter where you go, there you are.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#15 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri May 30, 2008 11:45 am

Spoiler
4 -- What is A Beautiful Mind?

8 -- What is Life is Beautiful?

12 -- What is Beautiful Bimbo with Rich Father Who Owns a Liquor Store?

16 -- What is You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby?

20 -- What is With a Little Soap, You Might Clean Up Beautifully?

dd -- I don't know if you can tell, but I've been guessing on some of these, so I will bet zero points.

What is Annie, Get Your Beautiful Gun.
Sou iu koto de.

tanstaafl2

#16 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:56 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Fridays are Jeopardy! Days in the June QoD so get your questionmaker ready. Below are five clues and a "Daily Double" in the category of "Beautiful" movies. As fans of the TV show know, the fact that the word "beautiful" is in quotes means that all of your questions should contain that word. Today's game will stay open until Monday morning at 8:00 Central time.

Unlike the TV show version, you do not lose points for an incorrect question (except on the Daily Double), so guess away.

In the spoiler box below is a Daily Double. Before you unspoil it, indicate whether you wish to bet all, one-half, one-quarter or none of TODAY's points on your response. You will not jeopardize or gain points won on preceding games with your Daily Double bet.

Point values are as indicated by the clues, which means that the maximum points one could win today would be 110.
Wouldn't it be 120? Perhaps I am missing something.
Spoiler

"Beautiful" Movies

What is Life is Beautiful?

No clue. What is Beautiful Boobs?

Portman may be a fine actress but she never did much for me, then or now. What is Beautiful Girls?

No idea.

Hmm, movies isn't one of my better categories. I will bet half.

Daily Double:
Spoiler
Hmm, as I surmised not such a good idea to bet at all...
What is the Beautiful Guns?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#17 Post by Evil Squirrel » Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Spoiler
"Beautiful" Movies

4 pts: Ron Howard won an Oscar for Best Director, and Russell Crowe was nominated for Best Actor for this 2001 film based on a true story. - What is A Beautiful Mind?

8 pts: This 1997 movie marked the second time an actor had won a Best Actor Oscar for directing himself, and also the second time an acting Oscar had been given for a performance completely in Italian. - What is Squirrels Are Beautiful? Hey, these are getting hard pretty fast!

12 pts: The title of this 2001 Kirsten Dunst vehicle about an out-of-control rich girl who falls for a Latino boy from the wrong side of the tracks probably refers to the two attributes of the girl that keep the boy hanging around. - What is, what is.... Dammit!

16 pts: The title characters of this 1996 movie include Annabeth Gish, Martha Plimpton, and Natalie Portman, who plays a 13-year-old girl that Timothy Hutton develops a crush on. EWWWWWWWW!!!!! - What is Life Is Beautiful?

20 pts: Despite the title, this nifty little mid-1980s movie which starred Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis, is not a "soap" opera. - What is one of Annie's operas that keep me up during the day?

I don't see any reason to wager anything on the Daily Double. I can't get any of the movie channels up in my tree...

Daily Double:
Spoiler
The tagline from this 1940s Preston Sturges comedy starring Betty Grable was “She had the biggest Six-Shooters in the West!” - I didn't think I'd know it!
[/quote]

fantine33

#18 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:19 pm

I've come to two conclusions so far
Spoiler
Nelly is the only one who has watched as many Preston Sturges and/or Betty Grable movies as I have and andrewjackson is the only one who watches the gay channel as much as I do.
PS I only read the actors' names in the clues and then put my answers, so, while reading the replies, I couldn't figure out wtf was going on with all the
Spoiler
Bold and Beautiful
answers, until I went back and read the clue. Ha, that was clever, mrk!
Spoiler
Back when DD-L was young and beautiful, instead of old and dotty with a scary forehead vein.

kroxquo

#19 Post by kroxquo » Fri May 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Edited to phrase in the form of a question
Spoiler
"Beautiful" Movies

What is A Beautiful Mind

What is Life Is Beautiful

WAG What is Beautiful Eyes

What is Beautiful Girls

What is Beautiful Bubbles

Daily Double: Bet It all because I probably don't have much anyway

Spoiler:

What is How the West Was Beautiful

KillerTomato

#20 Post by KillerTomato » Fri May 30, 2008 3:48 pm

Grrr....don't hit "preview" and then try to hit the back button...you lose everything.

Spoiler
mrkelley23 wrote:Fridays are Jeopardy! Days in the June QoD so get your questionmaker ready. Below are five clues and a "Daily Double" in the category of "Beautiful" movies. As fans of the TV show know, the fact that the word "beautiful" is in quotes means that all of your questions should contain that word. Today's game will stay open until Monday morning at 8:00 Central time.

Good luck and have fun!

"Beautiful" Movies

What is "A Beautiful Mind"?

What is "Life is Beautiful"?

No idea. Since there's no penalty, though, What is "Bring It On, Beautiful!"

Not to mention Rosie O'Donnell....What is "Beautiful Girls"?

What is "My Beautiful Launderette"?

I'm betting it all.

Daily Double:
Spoiler
FTR, this took me a minute, since I misread "Betty Hutton" for "Betty Grable" and was trying to figure out if Preston Sturges had anything to do with "Annie Get Your Beautiful Gun"....

What is "The Beautiful Blond From Bashful Bend"? And boy do I hope it's not "The Bashful Blond From Beatiful Bend".... :-)
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#21 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Spoiler
4 pts

What is "A Beautiful Mind"?

8 pts.

What is "Life is Beautiful"?

12 pts.

What is "Crazy/Beautiful"?

16 pts.

???

20 pts.

??

0 bet on the D.D.

???
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#22 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:17 pm

I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

andrewjackson

#23 Post by andrewjackson » Fri May 30, 2008 9:42 pm

fantine33 wrote:I've come to two conclusions so far
Spoiler
Nelly is the only one who has watched as many Preston Sturges and/or Betty Grable movies as I have and andrewjackson is the only one who watches the gay channel as much as I do.
Spoiler
The gay channel shows "The Most Beautiful Gun in the West"? I guess they might.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:11 am

Good luck and have fun!

"Beautiful" Movies

Daily Double:
Spoiler
Spoiler
4. What is A Beautiful Mind?
8. What is Life Is Beautiful?
12. What is Crazy/Beautiful?
16. What is Beautiful People?
20. What is The Young and the Beautiful?
one quarter: What is The Beautiful Gunfighter?
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

hf_jai

#25 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 am

Spoiler
1. What is "A Beautiful Mind"?

2. What is "Life is Beautiful"?

3-5 No clue... oh, I'm supposed to take a guess?

3. What is, "A Beautiful Pair"?

4. What is, "Thank Heaven for Beautiful Little Girls" (ewww is right... do they play this at the FLDS compound?)

5, What is "A Day at the Beautiful Opera"?

Not doing very well on this one, so I'd better just go with a half on the Daily Double.

Nope, don't know that one either. What is, "Beautiful Gams"? At least I don't have much to lose.
Last edited by hf_jai on Sat May 31, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.