Hey, Sploofus, is it June yet?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Hey, Sploofus, is it June yet?

#1 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 am

I've officially given up on May. Yesterday I missed a Wilt Chamberlain question!

Let me repeat that for you. A WILT CHAMBERLAIN QUESTION!!!!11 Wilt is the Man, he's my Man!

Since I missed those two geography questions earlier in the week I was trying to go fast since then and make up points with time. I could only look on in horror and wait for the "you dumbass" message as my cursor hit submit and there I was with the wrong answer.

The time is messed up, anyway. A couple days ago I had a Babe Ruth question. I generally don't divulge questions but, since even PSM would know this one (no offense, PSM!)...

I saw the words Babe Ruth, saw the words Red Sox, hit submit. And it gave my time as 7.71 seconds! Okay, that's about 6.24 seconds longer than it took, but maybe that's just response time. But the next day I read the selections over just to make sure of my answer, and it was 3 something seconds! Now maybe my Ruth response wasn't like 1.37 seconds like I thought, but it wasn't over twice as long as a question that I looked over twice!

But, it's free, right? Although I've been considering going to the pay version just so I can do the word puzzle more than once a week. Why, I don't know, since I have 4750966033 games I can play on Pogo and I already pay for that. Ha!

gotribego26

Re: Hey, Sploofus, is it June yet?

#2 Post by gotribego26 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 am

fantine33 wrote:A WILT CHAMBERLAIN QUESTION!!!!11 Wilt is the Man, he's my Man!
Yeah, that's what you and 19,999 other women say!! :D

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 am

I missed yesterday's geography QOTD, which is really embarrassing cuz geography is supposed to be my wheelhouse.

fantine33

#4 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 am

gotribego26 wrote:
Ha! I love Wilt so much that I not only read his book, I even have Conan the Destroyer on VHS.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 am

gotribego26 wrote:

REC!

lb13

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:I missed yesterday's geography QOTD, which is really embarrassing cuz geography is supposed to be my wheelhouse.
I got so many geography questions this month (and, up to the Wilt fiasco, were the only two I missed all month) that I'm seriously considering changing my exemption from Science. Although, with geography, I have at least a shot of recognizing all the options and half assing it. Science would most likely be a lot of blind hogs and acorns.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 30, 2008 7:13 am

I just missed this one:

Which English monarch's Queen Consort (wife) lived until 107 years after her elder sister died?

That should be a $1,000,000 question on BAM.
Spoiler
George VI
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri May 30, 2008 7:32 am

Bob Juch wrote:I just missed this one:

Which English monarch's Queen Consort (wife) lived until 107 years after her elder sister died?

Spoiler
George VI
I wish I got more Royalty questions.

fantine33

#9 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:43 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Spoiler
George VI
Me, too. The closest I come is obscure questions about Stonehenge.

I don't think that should be close to a $1,000,000 question, especially with choices. If only because it was the most recent QC and her longevity would be one of the first things to come to mind.

fantine33

#10 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 am

Unless I vastly overrate the general knowledge base of the American public. Which is possible.

Although the majority of American people seem to be fascinated with the current monarchy, even if they know nothing else of England or history in general. But maybe not enough to know which king was the Queen Mother's husband.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:36 am

fantine33 wrote:I've officially given up on May. Yesterday I missed a Wilt Chamberlain question!

Let me repeat that for you. A WILT CHAMBERLAIN QUESTION!!!!11 Wilt is the Man, he's my Man!

Since I missed those two geography questions earlier in the week I was trying to go fast since then and make up points with time. I could only look on in horror and wait for the "you dumbass" message as my cursor hit submit and there I was with the wrong answer.

The time is messed up, anyway. A couple days ago I had a Babe Ruth question. I generally don't divulge questions but, since even PSM would know this one (no offense, PSM!)...

I saw the words Babe Ruth, saw the words Red Sox, hit submit. And it gave my time as 7.71 seconds! Okay, that's about 6.24 seconds longer than it took, but maybe that's just response time. But the next day I read the selections over just to make sure of my answer, and it was 3 something seconds! Now maybe my Ruth response wasn't like 1.37 seconds like I thought, but it wasn't over twice as long as a question that I looked over twice!

But, it's free, right? Although I've been considering going to the pay version just so I can do the word puzzle more than once a week. Why, I don't know, since I have 4750966033 games I can play on Pogo and I already pay for that. Ha!
LOL - not at you, at me.

Even I got that Babe Ruth question right.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Spoiler
George VI
Well so do I because I'm related to all the European ones, but that was especially tough as you had to realize that her eldest sister died near birth before Lizzie was born.

Being pressed for time doesn't help either.

Also, she actually lived until 108 years later.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 31, 2008 10:13 am

I finished May with a sports question I actually knew. Since its a weekend perhaps I won't drop out of the top 100 before its reset.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 am

Usta be when I moved up a level I got a chance to plunk down all my samoleons on a single question and move from 3,999 in the rankings up to 399 or so. Not this time. Oh well.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:31 am

Ouch!

I just missed a movie question about the Godfather!

If I were a guy, I would have to turn in my guy card!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 am

SportsFan68 wrote:Ouch!

I just missed a movie question about the Godfather!

If I were a guy, I would have to turn in my guy card!
Did you not go to the mattresses? Or did you take the gun and leave the cannoli?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:52 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I finished May with a sports question I actually knew. Since its a weekend perhaps I won't drop out of the top 100 before its reset.
I'm the one on the cusp.....
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.