QoD Weekend 05-30-06/02 "Return of the QoN!"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

QoD Weekend 05-30-06/02 "Return of the QoN!"

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:46 pm

QoD Weekend 05/30-06/02 2008

This QoD will be open until 8:00 AM Central time on Monday morning, June 2, 2008.

“The Return of the QoN”
Some years ago, I was much more a part of the Night Shift than the Day Crew, philosophically speaking, anyway. And it always bugged me that people who couldn’t be on the Bored during the day missed out on some of the funnest parts of the QoD, like Speed bonuses and such. So one month, when the QoD was being run by someone who had made it a Google-free zone, I created a Merry Man named KaRl_FuN_rOvE (because I loathed Karl Rove and fun, after all, is his middle name) and hosted a Question of the Night. It was designed to be super hard for people to be able to solve without Google and, let’s face it, the ability to use Google efficiently and well is perhaps a touch more important than instantaneous recall of unassociated trivia.
For the June QoD, all weekend questions will be reminiscent of that QoN. The questions will be nigh undo-able without the help of some sort of online research tool. Feel Free to Google to your little heart’s content.

Obviously, this is not everyone’s cup of tea, so feel free not to play – it’s all in fun, anyway.

“Guitar Hero”
1. If you look at the backside of the headstock of a Gibson electric guitar and see the number 83948471, what city would it supposedly have been made in?
2. I said “supposedly” in the previous question, because that number is not a legitimate serial number for a Gibson guitar. Why not?
3. The image below is of a particular type of guitar. Name it.
4. The above image is actually a “signature edition” of one of the world’s finest players of the instrument, who has the sobriquet “Uncle” often attached to his name. Who is he?
5. Less well-known than fingerstyle, the method of playing acoustic steel-stringed guitar with a single plectrum, as opposed to multiple finger picks or even a thumbpick, is called what? (Some devotees of this style of acoustic guitar play were Doc Watson, Django Rheinhardt, and Scott Nygaard.)
10 points for each correct answer.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Spoiler
I wasn't going to do these but I can't resist this one!

1, No idea
2. No idea
3. Dobro
4. Uncle Josh, but he died.
5. Flatpicking
I didn't need to Google.
Last edited by Bob Juch on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

KillerTomato

Re: QoD Weekend 05-30-06/02 "Return of the QoN!"

#3 Post by KillerTomato » Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Spoiler
mrkelley23 wrote:QoD Weekend 05/30-06/02 2008

This QoD will be open until 8:00 AM Central time on Monday morning, June 2, 2008.

“The Return of the QoN”
Some years ago, I was much more a part of the Night Shift than the Day Crew, philosophically speaking, anyway. And it always bugged me that people who couldn’t be on the Bored during the day missed out on some of the funnest parts of the QoD, like Speed bonuses and such. So one month, when the QoD was being run by someone who had made it a Google-free zone, I created a Merry Man named KaRl_FuN_rOvE (because I loathed Karl Rove and fun, after all, is his middle name) and hosted a Question of the Night. It was designed to be super hard for people to be able to solve without Google and, let’s face it, the ability to use Google efficiently and well is perhaps a touch more important than instantaneous recall of unassociated trivia.
For the June QoD, all weekend questions will be reminiscent of that QoN. The questions will be nigh undo-able without the help of some sort of online research tool. Feel Free to Google to your little heart’s content.

Obviously, this is not everyone’s cup of tea, so feel free not to play – it’s all in fun, anyway.

“Guitar Hero”
1. If you look at the backside of the headstock of a Gibson electric guitar and see the number 83948471, what city would it supposedly have been made in?

Nashville, cuz of the "4" in the sixth place.

2. I said “supposedly” in the previous question, because that number is not a legitimate serial number for a Gibson guitar. Why not?

Since, according to Wikipedia, the second, third and fourth numbers are the day of the year in which the guitar was made, this guitar would have been made on the 394th day of the year, or December 59th. (Remember, 1988 was a leap year!)

Well, the URL in the link gave this one away. It's a dobro, or resonator.

4. The above image is actually a “signature edition” of one of the world’s finest players of the instrument, who has the sobriquet “Uncle” often attached to his name. Who is he?

Uncle Josh Graves

5. Less well-known than fingerstyle, the method of playing acoustic steel-stringed guitar with a single plectrum, as opposed to multiple finger picks or even a thumbpick, is called what? (Some devotees of this style of acoustic guitar play were Doc Watson, Django Rheinhardt, and Scott Nygaard.)

Flatpicking

Edited to spoilerize. Sorry, Chief.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

LookingForHumorPoints
Merry Man

#4 Post by LookingForHumorPoints » Fri May 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Gastonia, NC

Wrong area code

The Ronco Guitar/Collander. No kitchen's complete without one

Uncle Fester

Showing off

LFHP

fantine33

#5 Post by fantine33 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 pm

My need for points doesn't overcome my laziness, so I'm not planning on doing any heavy duty searching, possibly not even any light duty because, besides being lazy, I'm not very good at it. So, if I give some wacky answer on the QONs, don't waste any time trying to see if it could possibly be a right answer or where I found it, because it just half-assed itself out of my brain. Ha!

Luckily, today's category is something I know about, too bad it's the Google one so I probably won't gain any ground. Yeah, I know, gaining ground on Day 2, I'm still ticked at myself for the need to disqualify myself from the DD today.
Spoiler
“Guitar Hero”

I have a 50/50 shot between Nashville and Memphis, which means I have a 90% chance of getting it wrong, right?

Nashville

If they're still using the Julian calendar in their code, it's because there's not a 394th day of the year.

Dobro

Uncle Barbara Mandrell (she's the finest dobro player I can think of, anyway.)

Not sure what you're going for here, because I can't think of it being called anything other than a flat pick, which I would think is better known than finger picking. But, I have nothing better so

Flat picking

For some reason, I find "single plectrum" hilarious. Next time my brother comes out for a jam, I'm going to ask him if he's got an extra single plectrum on him. I'll report back on his response (thank goodness for no auto-censor here. Ha!)

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Spoiler
1-Nashville
2-2nd, 3rd, & 4th numbers represent the day of the year the guitar was made. That would make it the 394th day of the year, which would not be possible.
3-Don't need to look this up. It's a Dobro.
4-Uncle Josh Graves
5-Flatpicking
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

andrewjackson

#7 Post by andrewjackson » Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Spoiler
“Guitar Hero”

This is tough even when reading the Gibson explanation. It is guitar #471 made on some fictional day in 1988. That seems to mean it would have been a Kalamazoo guitar and not a Nashville guitar since Gibson says those guitars should start in the 500s but production ended in Kalamazoo in 1984 and did not start in Memphis until later than 1988. I notice that wikipedia says that a "4" means Nashville but that is contradicted by this statement on the Gibson website: "Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989. " http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Support/S ... berSearch/

I guess that doesn't specifically say that 400s were not switched over to Nashville in 1988 but it seems to imply it.

I hate to do it but I guess I'll say Nashville. It doesn't look like it could have been made anywhere else despite the number.

There was no 394th day of 1988.

I think you want Dobro.

Phil Leadbetter

Flatpicking
No matter where you go, there you are.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 am

Spoiler
“Guitar Hero”

It would have been Kalamazoo, if that factory hadn't closed in 1984, so it has to be Nashville

The number says it was made on the 394th day of 1988 and there is no such day.

That's a dobro

Uncle Phil Leadbetter

I am hoping it is flatpicking - that's all I can find.

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Sat May 31, 2008 6:05 am

Spoiler
2. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th digits should be a day of the year, so it can't be higher than 366.
3. resonator guitar
5. flatpicking

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:QoD Weekend 05/30-06/02 2008

“Guitar Hero”
Spoiler
Kalamazoo, Michigan

The second through fourth number represent the day of the year. The number is greater than 365, or 366 in a leap year I suppose.

Dobro resonator guitar

Uncle Phil Leadbetter

Flatpicking

Don't know if those are correct but I do know it would be a big fat zero without google.

But I did learn something new in the course of research!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

hf_jai

#11 Post by hf_jai » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 am

Spoiler
1. Nashville TN
2. Because there are not 394 days in a year
3. Dobro
4. "Uncle" Phil Leadbetter
5. Flat-picking

Someone has probably already mentioned this, but in case they haven't... May I suggest that, if you use images in future QoDs (which I thought was a fun thing to do) that you save the image to a photobucket or other web hosting account with a different name. I had already found the Dobro answer in wikipedia (they have a different photo there of the exact same type of guitar) and no doubt would have found Mr. Leadbetter's name fairly quickly from that, but when I hit the "quote" button to reply, it showed the url for the image and the name was right there. So if you don't want to give me points for #4, I will understand.

JBillyGirl

#12 Post by JBillyGirl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 am

Spoiler
mrkelley23 wrote:“Guitar Hero”
1. If you look at the backside of the headstock of a Gibson electric guitar and see the number 83948471, what city would it supposedly have been made in? -- Kalamazoo, Michigan
2. I said “supposedly” in the previous question, because that number is not a legitimate serial number for a Gibson guitar. Why not? -- because there aren't 394 days in a year, as the number would imply
3. The image below is of a particular type of guitar. Name it. -- a Dobro?
4. The above image is actually a “signature edition” of one of the world’s finest players of the instrument, who has the sobriquet “Uncle” often attached to his name. Who is he? -- Phil Leadbetter
5. Less well-known than fingerstyle, the method of playing acoustic steel-stringed guitar with a single plectrum, as opposed to multiple finger picks or even a thumbpick, is called what? (Some devotees of this style of acoustic guitar play were Doc Watson, Django Rheinhardt, and Scott Nygaard.) -- flatpicking
That was fun -- thanks!

wintergreen48

#13 Post by wintergreen48 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 pm

Spoiler
Where is Kalamazoon, Michigan?

What is the impossibility of making a guitar on the 394th day of the year?

What is a Dobro Resonator Guitar?

Who is Uncle Phil Leadbetter?

What is flatpicking?

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#14 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Spoiler
Nashville

According to the serial number, the instrument was made on the 394th day of the year, but since Earth years have fewer days on that, unless there's a Nashville with a Gibson factory on some other planet with a longer orbit around the central star of the planet's solar system, the serial number is not authentic.

This is a dobro. I hereby name it Binky, in honor of my late sister.

Mr. Uncle Phil Leadbetter

Flat picking
Sou iu koto de.

NellyLunatic1980

#15 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:56 am

Spoiler
1. Gastonia, NC (Where else? :D )
2. because a legitimate Gibson serial number has only 6 digits maximum
3. Gibson's Dobro
4. "Uncle" Phil Leadbetter
5. pass

megaaddict

#16 Post by megaaddict » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 am

Spoiler
1. Kalamazoo, Michigan
2. Digits 2-4 should be a number in the range 1-366 to represent the day of the year.
3. Dobro resonator guitar
4. Phil Leadbetter
5. flatpicking

mrkelley23

Answers/Points

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 pm

QoD answers/points Game #2 “Return of the QoN”

1. Kalamazoo or Nashville. Once again I’m guilty of not being as good a researcher as some of my contestants. I stopped with the Wikipedia article and didn’t realize that Nashville hadn’t always been the number in the serial number. But since neither answer was technically possible, thanks to my poorly written question, I’ll accept either answer as correct.
2. The 2nd-4th numbers are supposed to be the day of the year in which it was made, and there aren’t that many days in a year.
3. Dobro. Resonator is also acceptable, even though all acoustic guitars must by definition resonate.
4. Uncle Phil Leadbetter (Josh Graves may be a great dobro player, but this particular image is of the Phil Leadbetter signature edition)
5. Flatpicking
I don’t currently have access to photobucket, but I’ll try to get it unless someone can give me a safer way of posting images without the link showing up somehow. I like using them, but I’m not smart enough to take the URL out of the code.

KT 40
LFHP 10
Fanny 40
Tbone 40
Aj 50
Pea 50
Jarnon 30
Tan 50
Jai 50
Jbg 50
Wintergreen 50
AnnieC 50
Nelly 20
Megaaddict 50
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman