What are you reading?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
marrymeflyfree

What are you reading?

#1 Post by marrymeflyfree » Sat May 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Here, it's The Baby Book by Dr & Mrs Sears.

Looking forward to your recommended titles that have nothing to do with poop color, nipples, or butt paste.

nitrah55

#2 Post by nitrah55 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:15 pm

The Ten-Cent Plague by David Hajdu.

A history of comic books in the 40's and 50's, with emphasis on the opposition to comics and the comics industry's reaction.
I am about 25% sure of this.

Catfish

#3 Post by Catfish » Sat May 31, 2008 4:06 pm

print book: Bright Shiny Morning, by James Frey

audiobook: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Diaz

e-mail: Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes
Catfish

hf_jai

#4 Post by hf_jai » Sat May 31, 2008 4:34 pm

I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. This is a most excellent novel about racing and relationships, as told by the driver's lab/somthing mix. I intuit silvercamero will like it; she should read it to her four-footers.

I just started a new Warriors novel. In case anyone is wondering, the Warriors are cats, not soldiers. I figured that probably wasn't obvious when I mentioned them before. Yeah sure, I know, they're kids' books. I don't care. I need the break from "serious" (and too often upsetting) reading I do almost every day. Kinda like playing neopets, right Cal? ;)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm

I just picked up Rumpole Misbehaves by John Mortimer and was delighted to find that Soapy Sam Ballard QC has accused Rumpole of being responsible for the melting of the polar ice cap. She Who Must Be Obeyed has her say in this too. There seems to be a bit of a scandal brewing with SWMBO and the Old Bull, involving bridge and reading for the Bar.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ksbirchtree

#6 Post by ksbirchtree » Sat May 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Slogging my way through "An Innocent Man" by John Grisham.

Normally love Grisham's stuff, but this is a true story and boring (IMHO) to read. No suspense.
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm

A decent text on healthcare law - no, I finished that one. Next up is a book with case studies, also for class.

After that, Needful Things.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Sat May 31, 2008 5:10 pm

hf_jai wrote:I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. This is a most excellent novel about racing and relationships, as told by the driver's lab/somthing mix. I intuit silvercamero will like it; she should read it to her four-footers.
Thanks for telling me about this, Jai. It does sound like something I'd like, especially with your recommendation. I will search for it on my next bookstore trek or Amazon order, whichever comes first.

TheCalvinator24

#9 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:15 pm

About to finish Speaker for the Dead, which will be followed by Ender's Shadow.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

jsuchard

#10 Post by jsuchard » Sat May 31, 2008 5:21 pm

I just bought several books to make sure I had reading material for my latest trip. Although I hadn't made this plan ahead of time, it seems that I naturally got one book for each of the major physical sciences:

Biology: The Ancestor's Tale

Physics: The Elegant Universe

Chemistry: Oxygen

The Ancestor's Tale is by Richard Dawkins, a famous evolutionary biologist. It traces the path of human evolution all the way back to the beginnings of life on Earth. Very good.

The Elegant Universe is all about superstring theory, which I wanted to know more about. It took about half of the book before he started discussing any physics that I didn't already know from high school and college, but I know think I can understand what the theory is about, and why we really have 10 (or maybe 11) dimensions in our universe, rather than only the 4 we can experience through our human senses.

I haven't started Oxygen yet, but it is apparently about the Earth's atmosphere's chemical history, and how a minor constituent of the air became preeminent in biochemistry.

In the car: an abridged set of Sue Grafton's alphabet murder-mystery series (e.g. A is for Alibi). Can't say I like it very much though
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Sat May 31, 2008 5:31 pm

Toxin by Robin Cook.

I'm not sure I ever want to eat beef again after reading the first half of this.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Kazoo65

#12 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:05 pm

I read "Rescuing Sprite" last week. It's by Mark Levin, and it's about his family and the dog they adopted from an animal shelter.

Warning-this book is sad. You'll need Kleenex when you read it.
I'm just a game show nerd.

trevor_macfee

#13 Post by trevor_macfee » Sat May 31, 2008 7:49 pm

Primary Book: The Cost of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoffer - A challenging book by a man who practiced what he preached (he was later put to death in a Nazi concentration camp for his part in a plot to assasinate Hitler, as well as other resistance activities). I had read about Bonhoffer, but this is the first I've read by him.

Bedtime Book: The GM: The Inside Story of a Dream Job and the Nightmares that Go with It by Tom Callahan - Though I am in no way a Giants fan, I'm enjoying the insights in this book that follows Giants' GM Ernie Acorsi in his last year (2006). It is particularly interesting in light of the fact that Acorsi put together the nucleus of this year's Super Bowl winning team.

Five or Ten Minutes Here or There Book: The Complete Peanuts, The Definitive Collection of Charles M. Schulz's Comic Strip Masterpiece, Volume 1 1950-1952 by Charles M. Schulz - I started in the middle when I picked up Volume 4 at the library, now I'm going to check out all the volumes in order - at least that's my plan. Every daily and Sunday Peanuts strip ever written is included. This first volume shows how Peanuts was ver different in some respects when it started, with very few of the characters we now know and love.

KillerTomato

#14 Post by KillerTomato » Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm

In preparation for...um....nothing at all, that's it, nothing....

"You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again" by the late Julia Phillips. Phillips was one of the producers of "The Sting," and was the first woman to win an Oscar for Best Picture. In 1989 (15 years later), Lili Zanuck became the second; since then, there have been two others (for "Forrest Gump" and "Shakespeare in Love"). Phillips is still half of another trivia question; since she shared the Best Picture award with her then-husband, Michael (and Tony Bill), the two are the only married couple to win an award in the same category.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat May 31, 2008 8:05 pm

jsuchard wrote:The Ancestor's Tale is by Richard Dawkins, a famous evolutionary biologist. It traces the path of human evolution all the way back to the beginnings of life on Earth. Very good.
I bought that book last fall at the Friends of the Library booksale and it's waiting its turn to be read.

Along with a number of other books from the booksale.

Some of which have been waiting quite a bit longer... :oops:

dodgersteve182

#16 Post by dodgersteve182 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Dream When You're Feeling Blue: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg

WWII Story of men at war and the women they leave behind at home. Very well written as is all of Ms. Berg's books. I just wish she was a little friendlier when we met her at the UCLA Book Faire a few years ago. Nonetheless a very elegant woman. :)

Spock

#17 Post by Spock » Sat May 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Atlas Shrugged

The Thief at the End of the World-about the Manaus rubber boom and the theft of the seeds that ended it

fantine33

#18 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:23 pm

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. I'd actually started it a few years back but it got hidden under some magazines and I just found it a couple of days ago. It's like Christmas in May!

fantine33

#19 Post by fantine33 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:After that, Needful Things.
That is my favourite Stephen King book (if you're talking about the Stephen King one).

I've always thought that, with a few exceptions, his endings are weak. It's like he revs you up so much and paints himself into a corner and then you're let down. But Needful Things has a GREAT ending! His best, I think.

If you're not talking about the Stephen King book....never mind.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#20 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat May 31, 2008 10:59 pm

Catfish wrote:print book: Bright Shiny Morning, by James Frey

Catfish,

Where do you listen to your audio books?

Cindy

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#21 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat May 31, 2008 11:07 pm

fantine33 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:After that, Needful Things.
That is my favourite Stephen King book (if you're talking about the Stephen King one).

I've always thought that, with a few exceptions, his endings are weak. It's like he revs you up so much and paints himself into a corner and then you're let down. But Needful Things has a GREAT ending! His best, I think.

If you're not talking about the Stephen King book....never mind.

Thanks for reminding me about this book. I found it in the bargain section a while back. I bought it, put it on one of our shelves and then promptly forgot about it.

Oh hey.... I also meant to reply to you the other day when you said that POGO had 4750966033 games to play. I wanted to let you know that they added quite a few and are now up to 4750966142. Just an FYI.

dodgersteve182

#22 Post by dodgersteve182 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:29 am

MMFF Said "Looking forward to your recommended titles that have nothing to do with poop color, nipples, or butt paste."

I thought I saw you at my favorite Santa Monica Blvd. bookstore!
:twisted:

Catfish

#23 Post by Catfish » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:33 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
Catfish wrote:print book: Bright Shiny Morning, by James Frey

Catfish,

Where do you listen to your audio books?

Cindy
In the yard while gardening.
Catfish

Catfish

#24 Post by Catfish » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:36 pm

trevor_macfee wrote:Five or Ten Minutes Here or There Book: The Complete Peanuts, The Definitive Collection of Charles M. Schulz's Comic Strip Masterpiece, Volume 1 1950-1952 by Charles M. Schulz - I started in the middle when I picked up Volume 4 at the library, now I'm going to check out all the volumes in order - at least that's my plan. Every daily and Sunday Peanuts strip ever written is included. This first volume shows how Peanuts was ver different in some respects when it started, with very few of the characters we now know and love.
You may be interested in Schulz and Peanuts, by David Michaelis, Harper, 2007
Catfish