Sploofus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
andrewjackson

Sploofus

#1 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 am

Hurray! I made the visible table. I had to play at 7:00 am CDT to do it but I was 24th this morning after playing.

I'm sure I have fallen greatly from that height by now.

Any hints on answering faster? I'm wondering if there is a browser difference between Firefox and Explorer.

Or I might just be slow.

And what is the deal with the level? I'm at Level 1.7. Is that affecting how many points I can get?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Ritterskoop

Re: Sploofus

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 am

andrewjackson wrote: And what is the deal with the level? I'm at Level 1.7. Is that affecting how many points I can get?
It affects your speed bonus. Longer-standing players get bigger bonuses for answering in the same amount of time. I get slightly bigger bonuses than when I started, having moved up a couple of levels. People at level 547 must get huge bonuses compared to ours.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

fantine33

#3 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
andrewjackson wrote: And what is the deal with the level? I'm at Level 1.7. Is that affecting how many points I can get?
It affects your speed bonus. Longer-standing players get bigger bonuses for answering in the same amount of time. I get slightly bigger bonuses than when I started, having moved up a couple of levels. People at level 547 must get huge bonuses compared to ours.
I wondered how people had such huge points after two days!

andrewjackson

#4 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:52 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
OK. I figured it was something like that. Does it also affect the difficulty of the questions that you get?

I'll have to just keep plugging away and increase my level.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Catfish

#5 Post by Catfish » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:11 am

Here's my question: When you bet points do they not apply to the TQOTD total?

Why I ask: In order to make up for my big physical science bollix yesterday, I bet numerous points today on a vocabulary question, but my TQOTD points are still less than what I bet (my rank was 1015 today after answering my question :oops: ). Would I be correct in surmising that TQOTD operates only with raw scores and level and time bonuses. It's difficult to figure this out through the FAQ and explanations at Sploofus.
Catfish

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 am

Catfish wrote:Here's my question: When you bet points do they not apply to the TQOTD total?

Why I ask: In order to make up for my big physical science bollix yesterday, I bet numerous points today on a vocabulary question, but my TQOTD points are still less than what I bet (my rank was 1015 today after answering my question :oops: ). Would I be correct in surmising that TQOTD operates only with raw scores and level and time bonuses. It's difficult to figure this out through the FAQ and explanations at Sploofus.
I was just looking at the wager instructions this morning because I made a new level and wondered what to do with them. I think they only count towards your total Sploofus points. The leader of which has something like 58 billion. Or trillion, I didn't count the spaces.

I'm something like #13,600 in total points. Most of which is quizzes.

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 am

Catfish wrote:Here's my question: When you bet points do they not apply to the TQOTD total?
I think they only apply to overall points. I have moved up by a lot of spots by wagering points, but not in the QOD.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Catfish

#8 Post by Catfish » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks for the answers. Given my betting history, I'm glad my success and failure depends only on my knowlege and lack thereof, depending on the day.
Catfish

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 am

I'll be happy with being in three digits. After today's Q, I'm somewhere in the 1400's, just like Columbus.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Weyoun

#10 Post by Weyoun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I have played since Sploofus began. While there's a bonus for veteran players, it's not a very big one. The speed points depend almost entirely on your internet connection.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:32 pm

Weyoun wrote:I have played since Sploofus began. While there's a bonus for veteran players, it's not a very big one. The speed points depend almost entirely on your internet connection.
Are you a paid subscriber, I was wondering if subscribers had access to past QOTD leaderboards?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.