Not a good start to the week

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Not a good start to the week

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 am

My clinic, also a USW&NR ranked hospital, sends out paper notices of your appointments. Whenever you get a new appointment, the notice lists ALL your existing appointments. I keep good track of my appointments. I had an appointment this morning. So I waited at home while the two womenfolk headed off to work, not eating because I was supposed to have a cholesterol test. Vacuumed some carpets. Put away the clean pots and pans on the draining rack. Neatened up the kitchen a bit. Headed out early for the appointment.

Got there to their pay parking garage, walked in, waited while someone ahead of me tried to change three different appointments that she had with another department. Finally got to the check-in, gave my name and who I was supposed to see. She made a face. "Ooh, she's on vacation for the next three weeks. They didn't call you?" The appointment had been changed three weeks ago. Apparently, when I last got a new notice with additional appointments, they also changed this one on the same notice. There is nothing to highlight the change. I didn't notice.

I'm pissed enough to write to them saying that they need to highlight changes in appointment times, especially when new appointments are added to the list and the change is to an existing one. Better yet, CALL!! I wasted time, money and gasoline. I'm tempted to bill them for it.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:28 am

Oh, did I mention the appointment was about MY BLOOD PRESSURE?!?!?!

Bob Juch

Re: Not a good start to the week

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 am

gsabc wrote:My clinic, also a USW&NR ranked hospital, sends out paper notices of your appointments. Whenever you get a new appointment, the notice lists ALL your existing appointments. I keep good track of my appointments. I had an appointment this morning. So I waited at home while the two womenfolk headed off to work, not eating because I was supposed to have a cholesterol test. Vacuumed some carpets. Put away the clean pots and pans on the draining rack. Neatened up the kitchen a bit. Headed out early for the appointment.

Got there to their pay parking garage, walked in, waited while someone ahead of me tried to change three different appointments that she had with another department. Finally got to the check-in, gave my name and who I was supposed to see. She made a face. "Ooh, she's on vacation for the next three weeks. They didn't call you?" The appointment had been changed three weeks ago. Apparently, when I last got a new notice with additional appointments, they also changed this one on the same notice. There is nothing to highlight the change. I didn't notice.

I'm pissed enough to write to them saying that they need to highlight changes in appointment times, especially when new appointments are added to the list and the change is to an existing one. Better yet, CALL!! I wasted time, money and gasoline. I'm tempted to bill them for it.
Why couldn't someone else have done your cholesterol test?

I avoid clinics whenever possible.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 am

gsabc wrote:Oh, did I mention the appointment was about MY BLOOD PRESSURE?!?!?!
Is is up a little today? :twisted:

Seems like there should have been someone else in the clinic who could have given you the test, since you were there already.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 am

I am sorry that you are going through this.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:42 am

Inexcusable! Take a deep breath and try to put it behind you. I would think they could have offered to have someone else handle your appointment.

Take care!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:Oh, did I mention the appointment was about MY BLOOD PRESSURE?!?!?!
Is is up a little today? :twisted:

Seems like there should have been someone else in the clinic who could have given you the test, since you were there already.
There was more than just this testing involved, but I didn't know what else. Not being sure myself exactly what the "what else" was, I didn't think it was a good idea to have one of the other nurses, who are not part of my doctor's group, do any testing.

nitrah55

#8 Post by nitrah55 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am

Not that it's any consolation, but The Bride's lung doc has twice missed appointments. We were notified once by phone, the day before. The second time he wasn't there we were told it was a family emergency- in fact, he was at a conference in Japan.

I am astonished at the almost universal disregard for patients' schedules that doctors and their staffs have. And, this is taking into account the disregard for doctors' schedules that patients have.
I am about 25% sure of this.

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:38 am

Same thing happened when I took hub in for his post-surgery check-up and staple-pulling last month. Trouble is, we'd driven 9 hours to Denver to make the appointment. When the nurse said, 'oh, that was cancelled so you could see your local doc" I said (among other things) "we'll be in teh waiting room, when one of hte surgeons is available." We only waited ten minutes before she showed up.

Hope your blood pressure settles down. They really do need to use a different system.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire