What? No Lost finale thread yet?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
JBillyGirl

What? No Lost finale thread yet?

#1 Post by JBillyGirl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 am

I can't believe no one's started a thread on last week's Lost finale (unless I've really missed something).

I don't have time to go into all my thoughts about it, but here are a few musings.
Spoiler
I have a good guess as to what may have happened to Locke for him to wind up in that coffin. I think after leading the Others for a while, he had to move the island again, and thus he knew he could never return to the island, as Ben said. When he did return, he lost the use of his legs again and he became so despondent that he eventually killed himself.

Of course, this would work if the prohibition on returning applies only while you're alive, since Ben said Jack would need to bring back Locke's body. Otherwise, I'm guessing Locke would have come back via normal means to plead with the Lostaways to return; but I still think he'd have lost the use of his legs and still despaired of ever getting back to the island, hence his suicide. (Of course, we don't yet know if "suicide" was the real cause of death, but it seems plausible.)

On a happier note, it was very satisfying to see Desmond and Penny reunited, especially in the wake of the death(?) of Jin. As for Sun, is she planning revenge on Jack by teaming with Widmore, or is she manipulating the billionaire for her own purposes? Damn, I can't wait until 2009 to find out!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:32 am

I waited until Jeff came home to watch the show.

MarleysGh0st

Re: What? No Lost finale thread yet?

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 am

JBillyGirl wrote:I can't believe no one's started a thread on last week's Lost finale (unless I've really missed something).
It's true! Nobody has started that discussion yet!
Spoiler
One of the biggest things I'm pondering is the tsunami waves that would be triggered from the island suddenly disappearing in one place and appearing in another.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:46 am

JBillyGirl wrote:
Spoiler
On a happier note, it was very satisfying to see Desmond and Penny reunited, especially in the wake of the death(?) of Jin. As for Sun, is she planning revenge on Jack by teaming with Widmore, or is she manipulating the billionaire for her own purposes? Damn, I can't wait until 2009 to find out!
Spoiler
Desmond and Penny was the best part of the show!

For a few seconds, I hadn't realized that Desmond made it off the boat, then he almost died again when the helicopter crashed, so I was worried that he wouldn't make it.

When I saw the ship, I wondered who it belonged to. It wouldn't have made sense for Frank and Desmond to end up being rescued with the Oceanic 6, so I was hoping that it was Penny, but feared that Frank and Desmond might be killed.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 am

Spoiler
Most things on the show seemed to make sense, at least from Lost's perspective. I don't see how the island would be moved a second time, since there would be no way for Widmore and company to find it again.

One possibility is that Locke may have left the island to meet with whoever the Others contact on the outside is. There's got to be someone pretty big behind all this and it would stand to reason that he or they would want to know what had gone on.

I get the feeling that Jin and maybe Michael are not dead. The meeting between Michael and Jack's father just before the boat exploded is a bit strange.
All in all, I think this was the best season since the first one. I think that giving the show a fixed end date (two more seasons) made the writers develop a timetable for establishing and then tying up plot threads. During the last two seasons, there was a lot of throwing plot ideas out there and seeing how they fared, then dropping them, as with the couple who ran into the spiders in season 3. There was also some rewriting due to forced cast changes (Mr. Eko).

With a fixed time line and a shorter season due to the writer's strike, the show was lean and fast moving this year, yet still with the emotional punch Lost fans have come to love.

Catfish

#6 Post by Catfish » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 am

Spoiler
JBillyGirl wrote:he had to move the island again, and
suffered a massive terminal hernia.

Immediately after Lost, our local news led with the story on Harvery Korman. One of the first images shown, of a bald-headed Harvery in a tuxedo, bore such an uncanny resemblence to the man in the coffin that I thought the stories had morphed.
Catfish

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#7 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 am

JBillyGirl wrote:I can't believe no one's started a thread on last week's Lost finale (unless I've really missed something).
Spoiler
As for Sun, is she planning revenge on Jack by teaming with Widmore, or is she manipulating the billionaire for her own purposes?
Spoiler
I don't know for sure who Sun blames for Jin's death (other than her father), but Kate told Sun to stay topside on the freighter, and Kate would go get Jin. This is entirely speculation on my part, but it's a possibility.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Rexer25

#8 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spoiler
I get the feeling that Jin and maybe Michael are not dead. The meeting between Michael and Jack's father just before the boat exploded is a bit strange.
Spoiler
I think that meeting between Michael and Jack's father was a way of telling Michael he had performed his "duty" to the island, and now he could die. I have no clue if Jin is still alive or not. He may be one of the people that the island does not allow to die.

I have no idea about Farraday and the socks on the boat. I am assuming Farraday is also "protected" by the island.

I think I know where the island ended up, but have no clue where Bernard, Rose, Julliette, Sawyer and the other socks are.

That'll be $10, please.

gsn309

#9 Post by gsn309 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 am

Spoiler
Michael is most certainly dead. And the actor isn't happy about it, either.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/lost-harold ... /080530-03

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 am

Spoiler
Although Michael's dead, it might be possible to bring Walt back to the island, now that the timeline has caught up with him getting older. After all, the island probably needs someone with those psychic powers of his!

Rexer25

#11 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:48 am

Before my lunch ends, just some other points to ponder...
Spoiler
I wonder if Christian Sheppard and the Other whose name I can never remember (you know, the one who quizzed Locke, who helped recruit Juliette, who seems to be 2nd in command) have a special status. I wonder if they both died elsewhere, their corpses ended up on the island, and they had some special quality that persuaded the island to bring them back.

I wonder if the Black Rock is in the middle of the island because the Black Rock was in the location where the island was moved to the last time it was moved.

I wonder if we'll ever learn more about the guy who founded the Dharma Initiative.

I want to know the truth of the smoke monster.

I want to know why the island is so different.

That'll be $10, please.

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:17 pm

gsn309 wrote:
Spoiler
Michael is most certainly dead. And the actor isn't happy about it, either.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/lost-harold ... /080530-03
And he didn't even get caught drunk driving in Hawai'i.

:D
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"