earendel was a mariner - day 2

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

earendel was a mariner - day 2

#1 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Evidently each of the cruise lines maintains its own "private island" in the Bahamas (we went to the one run by Holland-America on our transatlantic cruise) because our destination after we left Miami was Royal Caribbean's island, known as Coconut Cay (which is pronounced either "key" or "kay" depending upon whom one asks). The ship arrived on Saturday morning for a day of fun in the sun. There was supposed to be a barbecue lunch along with lots of little theme bars, and opportunities for all sorts of excursions such as parasailing and snorkeling. My darling elwing, ever the frugal sort as well as being a trip planner par excellence had figured out that we could buy our own snorkeling equipment for less than we could rent it from the cruise line, so she did so. After breakfast, then, we put on our swimsuits and coverups, grabbed our snorkels and swimfins and headed off to the island. Because it's so small there's no dock, so we had to be "tendered" to the island - meaning that we got onto a small boat and were ferried to shore.

In the words of the America song, "The heat was hot and the ground was dry but the air was full of sound. We had to pass through a row of souvenir shops and (yes, more) theme bars before getting to the beach itself. I must say that it was a very nice beach, with lots of white sand and clear blue water. I found a deck chair that was in the shade while elwing went walking around. After about an hour it was time to snorkel, so we went to the "snorkel shack" to sign a waiver and get a "snorkel vest" that kept the wearer from going too far underwater. The lagoon had lots of things to see including a "plane wreck" (a deliberately sunken aircraft hull serving as an artificial reef). The fish were numerous and very colorful, but the most striking thing that we was was an "ecosystem in a nutshell" so to speak - a large boulder onto which coral polyps had started depositing their skeletons, and fish darting in and around, as well as anemones and other sea life.

Then it was time for lunch. Now I must tell you that although aboard ship in the dining room the food is first-rate, there are some areas where the chefs simply fall down, probably because of their unfamiliarity with basic American cuisine. The barbecue was one of these occasions - the food was grilled and slathered with something that can only be generously called barbecue sauce because it was brown. The offerings included chicken and ribs, both of which were completely forgettable; elwing and I decided that we'd rather partake of the shipboard fare. So after showering to get the sand and salt off we headed back to the ship.

For "lupper" (the afternoon analogue to "brunch") we decided to try one of the onboard specialty cafes, one called "Johnny Rocketts" (which is evidently a chain of restaurants). The gimmick is that the decor is like a '50s diner complete with those little jukeboxes on the tables. Not only that but every 10 minutes the wait staff comes out and dances to 'a 50s or '60s song (such as "The Twist"). We were offered free onion rings and french fries while we decided on our order. The cost was extra, but since elwing's boss had not only paid for the cruise but also given us some "expense money" we had no qualms about the cost. The food was good.

Saturday evening was "formal dining", although the dress code didn't seem to be strictly enforced. After dinner there was the second "company meeting", at which four people were recognized for significant achievement in the past year, one of whom was elwing. Seems that she had "gone the second mile" and made a customer happy, a customer who was considering taking his million-dollar account elsewhere. The customer had sent an effusive e-mail to the company CEO lauding elwing's efforts. After that it was time for pictures, then off to the evening show. The show was a comedian whose name I can't recall but whose claim to fame was that he had opened for Jerry Seinfeld some time in the past. His schtick was a cross between Jay Leno and Don Rickles. I didn't get any particular yuks but no groans, either.

Since neither elwing nor I dance or gamble, there wasn't much to do after the show, so it was back to the room. elwing said that the daily calendar had mentioned the movie "Enchanted" would be shown on the TV, so we decided to watch. Unfortunately we couldn't find it in English - they had Portugese, Italian, German and one or two other language versions. It turns out that the English version had been shown earlier in the evening.

And with that, I draw a curtain over the remainder of the evening, noting only the full moon, once again, shining over the ocean.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:25 pm

There are Johnny Rockets restaurants in California, they have good burgers.

Maddie was at a school event at Knott's Berry Farm a few months ago and the boy that she was with told her that the term "Johnny Rocket" is slang for penis. She asked me if it was true and I honestly didn't know, so I had to look it up.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:There are Johnny Rockets restaurants in California, they have good burgers.

Maddie was at a school event at Knott's Berry Farm a few months ago and the boy that she was with told her that the term "Johnny Rocket" is slang for penis. She asked me if it was true and I honestly didn't know, so I had to look it up.
And?????

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:59 pm

In some circles it is a euphemism for the penis, in others it's slang for the, uh, by-product.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 pm

The lagoon had lots of things to see including a "plane wreck" (a deliberately sunken aircraft hull serving as an artificial reef).

This wasn't Oceanic Flight 815 was it?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:10 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
The lagoon had lots of things to see including a "plane wreck" (a deliberately sunken aircraft hull serving as an artificial reef).

This wasn't Oceanic Flight 815 was it?
That thought did cross my mind - although I'm not a Lost fan.

fantine33

#7 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:16 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:In some circles it is a euphemism for the penis, in others it's slang for the, uh, by-product.
The part of this that cracks me up is that you called it a by-product. So it's the Splenda of the sugar world. Stuff that was left over after you got the good part that eventually somebody found a use for.

Ooh, I hate it when prepositions just hang out there at the end. Similar to certain by-products.

gsabc

Re: earendel was a mariner - day 2

#8 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:19 pm

earendel wrote: Then it was time for lunch. Now I must tell you that although aboard ship in the dining room the food is first-rate, there are some areas where the chefs simply fall down, probably because of their unfamiliarity with basic American cuisine. The barbecue was one of these occasions - the food was grilled and slathered with something that can only be generously called barbecue sauce because it was brown. The offerings included chicken and ribs, both of which were completely forgettable ...
The clipper ship cruise I won on WoF had much the same experience. Our cruise was over the Fourth of July, so they had a "traditional" picnic/barbecue meal. It was edible, but not exactly what Dad used to burn on the grill, shall we say. Not their best effort, no.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

fantine33 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:In some circles it is a euphemism for the penis, in others it's slang for the, uh, by-product.
The part of this that cracks me up is that you called it a by-product. So it's the Splenda of the sugar world. Stuff that was left over after you got the good part that eventually somebody found a use for.

Ooh, I hate it when prepositions just hang out there at the end. Similar to certain by-products.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:There are Johnny Rockets restaurants in California, they have good burgers.

I've never run across one in my travels - unbelievable, I know.

So are they the male equivalent of Hooters? :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

There are three Johnny Rockets in the Myrtle Beach area, I've seen them in Florida too.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

The original one was located on Melrose Blvd. It was founded back when Melrose was one of the "hip" places in LA. There were several good restaurants on the street including Tommy Tangs and the Border grill (founded by the Two Hot Tamales chefs).

fantine33

#13 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:The original one was located on Melrose Blvd. It was founded back when Melrose was one of the "hip" places in LA. There were several good restaurants on the street including Tommy Tangs and the Border grill (founded by the Two Hot Tamales chefs).
Isn't that the restaurant that Jackrabbit Slim's was modeled after in Pulp Fiction?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:39 pm

fantine33 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:The original one was located on Melrose Blvd. It was founded back when Melrose was one of the "hip" places in LA. There were several good restaurants on the street including Tommy Tangs and the Border grill (founded by the Two Hot Tamales chefs).
Isn't that the restaurant that Jackrabbit Slim's was modeled after in Pulp Fiction?
I noted that ear spelled it as "Johnny Rocketts". The Johnny Rockets chain does not have a singing waitstaff nor any impersonators. JS's sounds more like Ed Debevics where there was singing and dancing.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:34 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

The original one was located on Melrose Blvd. It was founded back when Melrose was one of the "hip" places in LA. There were several good restaurants on the street including Tommy Tangs and the Border grill (founded by the Two Hot Tamales chefs).
Gasp! You mean Melrose has lost its hipness? What's replaced it? The only place I've eaten near there in the last six years is Koi.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: I've never run across one in my travels - unbelievable, I know.

Gasp! You mean Melrose has lost its hipness? What's replaced it? The only place I've eaten near there in the last six years is Koi.

.....well.....once you moved away.....

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote: The original one was located on Melrose Blvd. It was founded back when Melrose was one of the "hip" places in LA. There were several good restaurants on the street including Tommy Tangs and the Border grill (founded by the Two Hot Tamales chefs).

.....well.....once you moved away.....
Well I know the HoB has never been the same....

takinover

#18 Post by takinover » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm

So you can't hit, pitch, or catch and you are boring as hell? Oh wait...

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:24 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:
I noted that ear spelled it as "Johnny Rocketts". The Johnny Rockets chain does not have a singing waitstaff nor any impersonators. JS's sounds more like Ed Debevics where there was singing and dancing.
I may have misremembered the spelling.

ladysoleil

#20 Post by ladysoleil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

They have them in Jersey, although the Hoboken branch gave me a wicked case of food poisoning so I tend to avoid them.