R.I.P Fredric J. Baur,

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

R.I.P Fredric J. Baur,

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 pm

CINCINNATI — The man who designed the Pringles potato crisp packaging system was so proud of his accomplishment that a portion of his ashes has been buried in one of the iconic cans.

Fredric J. Baur, of Cincinnati, died May 4 at Vitas Hospice in Cincinnati, his family said. He was 89.

Baur's children said they honored his request to bury him in one of the cans by placing part of his cremated remains in a Pringles container in his grave in suburban Springfield Township. The rest of his remains were placed in an urn buried along with the can, with some placed in another urn and given to a grandson, said Baur's daughter, Linda Baur of Diamondhead, Miss.

Baur requested the burial arrangement because he was proud of his design of the Pringles container, a son, Lawrence Baur of Stevensville, Mich., said Monday.

Baur was an organic chemist and food storage technician who specialized in research and development and quality control for Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble Co.

Baur filed for a patent for the tubular Pringles container and for the method of packaging the curved, stacked chips in the container in 1966, and it was granted in 1970, P&G archivist Ed Rider said.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

I've often thought that the folks who package CD's should offer their services to the funeral biz for real permanence.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

I bought eight packages of Pringles at 6:50 a.m. this morning. They are $.88 a container at Ralph's and Emma wanted to bring in some of the Salt and Vineger flavored chips to share with friends.

They are very elegant chips.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I've often thought that the folks who package CD's should offer their services to the funeral biz for real permanence.
Interesting how things seem to come in related groups. First there was the Star Trek threesome, and now two individuals related to potatoes - J.R. Simplot and Frederic Baur.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:53 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I bought eight packages of Pringles at 6:50 a.m. this morning. They are $.88 a container at Ralph's and Emma wanted to bring in some of the Salt and Vinegar flavored chips to share with friends.

Just in case it ever comes up (as it did on Sploofus for me the other day), Pringle's are not chips. They are crisps -- at least in the US. There is some esoteric reason for this.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Yeah, but GW works for the company that designed the flash-frying manufacturing process for the horrid things. Gimme Ruffles, any day, or even just plain old house-brand chips.

Or as Mark Russell once said, "Buy a can of Pringles on one side of the country, then buy another can on the other side. The contents look exactly the same. AND IF THAT'S NOT COMMUNISM, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!!" :D
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:04 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I bought eight packages of Pringles at 6:50 a.m. this morning. They are $.88 a container at Ralph's and Emma wanted to bring in some of the Salt and Vinegar flavored chips to share with friends.

Just in case it ever comes up (as it did on Sploofus for me the other day), Pringle's are not chips. They are crisps -- at least in the US. There is some esoteric reason for this.
Thank you for letting me know. :)

nitrah55

#8 Post by nitrah55 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:08 pm

I just want them to be really, really sure they buried the right can.

NEW FLAVOR! Sour Cream and Ash? I don't think so.
I am about 25% sure of this.