food trivia 2nite!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BigDrawMan

food trivia 2nite!!

#1 Post by BigDrawMan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 pm

bon le afternoon, mon peeps!

what is your current estate de le affaires,eh??

and how does that vompare with the last tiempo you played le ft2n??

thats quite le journey, cest fleury??

have yins noticed that I sprinkled le francais talk back there, cest dupois???

I did!!

know why???

no, I am not showing off, but bwcause french is le lingua francais de le
(that means "the" in english!!) food!!

I dont know about yins, but I like to watch a french talkin movie now and then to keep my french mellifluous, ce ba sais??

so the last movie I saw was about a mademoiselle(young girl) looking for work en Paree (that is Paris, France).ANywho, she asks for work at this fancy restaurant and the boss asks where she worked before.She says at a cafe, a brasserie and a bistro.I figgered she was in.But ol pierre said, "No"(which means no in english).So, my question to yins is whats the diff between a restaurant, cafe, bistro and brasserie in the land of France??

expound!!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: food trivia 2nite!!

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm

BigDrawMan wrote:bon le afternoon, mon peeps!

I did!!

know why???

I dont know about yins, but I like to watch a french talkin movie now and then to keep my french mellifluous, ce ba sais??

so the last movie I saw was about a mademoiselle(young girl) looking for work en Paree (that is Paris, France).ANywho, she asks for work at this fancy restaurant and the boss asks where she worked before.She says at a cafe, a brasserie and a bistro.I figgered she was in.But ol pierre said, "No"(which means no in english).So, my question to yins is whats the diff between a restaurant, cafe, bistro and brasserie in the land of France??

expound!!!
I know not nothing of your answers and cannot pound the exes but I know that there are fans (the non-crow-eating types) who will rejoice at your return.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Qu'est-ce qui est cela?

Mon Dieu, sûrement mes yeux decieve moi!

Peut-il être vrai?

Je répondrai vite avant que je me réveille de ce rêve:

cafe - a casual, snack/sandwich place with somewhat careless service

bistro - small, casual eatery with a larger menu selection than a cafe

brasserie - more informal than a restaurant, but with better service and more a extensive menu than bistros. Usually open til quite late

restaurant - too snooty for words

J'attends pointage abondant, mon foodmeister.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

5LD

#4 Post by 5LD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:39 pm

These are the paramedics called when Ms. Duck passed out at her computer......

We need to know the potential cause of her health issues.....

Perhaps it was the butchering of ze french language, n'est pas?
Or perhaps it was a seizure brought on by the yellow sponge dancing....

At any rate, she will be indisposed and unavailable to snidely comment on your FT2N.

We are looking for her bowling shoes and breast pump as she refuses to leave her house without them.....

Bonne nuit.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

It's like LOL cat french.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:04 pm

I weep with glorious mercis full of heureusement because YOU FINALLY PAID ATTENTION you jambon.
Tres replete with plumbing leakage, bleeding veins emptying of moolah rushing to higher education (HAH! What a fricking joke.) and screwballs messing with the workplace. REALLY messing. Things are peachy. Ooh, I meant peche-y.
Eh. Same ole, same ole.

Cest fleury? Were you trying to invoke a DQ Blizzard? Cest fleury is another meaningless yammering from your long gone yap. You really need to work on context.

I did!!

know why???

"bwcause"? Is that Baba Wawa's influence on you? Did you enable her to screw around with that senator? Is that why you're quoting her? You owe her? That's just great.

expound!!!
A restaurant must serve food on plates with non-plastic utensils; a cafe must serve food on plates with non-plastic utensils but paper napkins are allowed; a bistro must keep the poulet and cheese off the bistro floor, away from the dogs and must serve it on a surface with bathroom tissue usable as a napkin; a brasserie must serve easily handled finger foods (doigts foods) nestled cunningly betwixt the miracle bras, thongs and body sprays, kept at higher than room temperature and discarded underwear may be used as a napkin.

I might have forgotten some of my French stuff, but the large parts are all correct. Really.

It's about TIME, YOU FROMAGE BOY!
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm

5LD wrote:These are the paramedics called when Ms. Duck passed out at her computer......

We need to know the potential cause of her health issues.....

Perhaps it was the butchering of ze french language, n'est pas?
Or perhaps it was a seizure brought on by the yellow sponge dancing....

At any rate, she will be indisposed and unavailable to snidely comment on your FT2N.

We are looking for her bowling shoes and breast pump as she refuses to leave her house without them.....

Bonne nuit.
Bowling! Shoes! Breastfeeders! WHOOO HOOO!!!
Well, then

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm

<snif>

just like old times...

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Bon soir! Comme va tu?

I am damn fine, thankee kindly. (I cannot speak too much Francaise too openly without endangering my status as an international star of les espionages.) I probably was damn fine the last time I played, but it was so long ago that I cannot remember.
Aren't they all? Aren't they all.

I did!!

know why???
Because you display remarkable pretension, for a sponge boy.

What. Ever.

expound!!!
In my life as an international super spy -- oops, forget I said that! In my ordinary humdrum existence as an eater, I believe that les differences are as follows:

A cafe in France originally was a coffeehouse, where one also could buy snacks, simple food, and non-alcoholic beverages.

A brasserie was more like what we might call a pub, where you can buy sandwiches and other eats and -- more importantly, beer.

A bistro was small eatery with simple meals, where one also could order (and drink!) wine.

A restaurant was and remains the place to go for fancier meals and a full selection of fine wines and mixed drinks.

I believe that the differences for the first three have become a bit blurred over recent decades, and it's all the fault of those darned Americans who persist in visiting France and getting hungry and thirsty.

I am not really an international super spy; I was just fooling with you. (No, I wasn't) (I was, too!) (Not!)

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:28 pm

For those of you who do not speak Swedish, I shall attempt to translate:
BDM prefers his chicken bones in the afternoon.
He wishes to know if I am currently having any affairs in my Canadian estate.
He wishes to know how he can avoid hitting the "v" key when attempting to hit the "c" key next to it.
He once gave flowers to Steve Perry at a Journey concert.
He is telling us that he hasn't posted a ft2n recently because he went all the way to France to pee in a duplex there.
I did!!
Obviously he's very proud of it.
know why???
Because you were able to spell out "Bow down before me, minions" on the duplex carpet?
Yeah, well, Pepe lePew sez it's the language de l'amour! You expect me to take YOUR word over Pepe lePew's? You can't even spell "vompare"!
I know what kinda French movie you like to watch, bucko, and I ain't translatin' the rest of this sentence on accounta I'm too busy bein' embarrassed. So you keep your slick, Duplex peein' ce ba saises to yerself, okey-dokie?

expound!!!
I will also answer in a foreign language:

come faccio a sapere?
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:For those of you who do not speak Swedish, I shall attempt to translate:
He wishes to know how he can avoid hitting the "v" key when attempting to hit the "c" key next to it.
He is telling us that he hasn't posted a ft2n recently because he went all the way to France to pee in a duplex there.
I did!!
know why???
Because you were able to spell out "Bow down before me, minions" on the duplex carpet?
Yeah, well, Pepe lePew sez it's the language de l'amour! You expect me to take YOUR word over Pepe lePew's? You can't even spell "vompare"!
I know what kinda French movie you like to watch, bucko, and I ain't translatin' the rest of this sentence on accounta I'm too busy bein' embarrassed. So you keep your slick, Duplex peein' ce ba saises to yerself, okey-dokie?

expound!!!

come faccio a sapere?
Is this northren or suthren Swedish?

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:36 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:For those of you who do not speak Swedish, I shall attempt to translate:
I did!!
know why???

expound!!!

come faccio a sapere?
Is this northren or suthren Swedish?
Dunno. I learned all my Swedish from that chef Dude on The Muppets and old Abba interviews.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

A brasserie is where you buy brassieres.

Bistro is where they have a lighted ball on the ceiling and you dance.

Cafe is short for cafeteria, like K & W,, which my grandmother used to love but she would complain they dint have everything she wanted and we would say get over it.

Restaurant is duh where you rest and rant.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Spokesman for MBFFB
Merry Man

#14 Post by Spokesman for MBFFB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 pm

I did!!
know why???

expound!!!

come faccio a sapere?

You're going to put my employer out of work!

Oh wait, he doesn't work in the first place....

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Restaurant is duh where you rest and rant.

I thought we came here to do that.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#16 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Buenos afternoonos!
BigDrawMan wrote:what is your current estate de le affaires,eh??
Muy bueno, gracias.
BigDrawMan wrote:and how does that vompare with the last tiempo you played le ft2n??
I can't remember the last time I vompared. Or played FT2N.

BigDrawMan wrote:thats quite le journey, cest fleury??
I knew there was an ulterior motive here -- GO PENS!!!
BigDrawMan wrote:have yins noticed that I sprinkled le francais talk back there, cest dupois???
Sí, señor.
BigDrawMan wrote:know why???
You are showing off. Despite Fleury's prowess in front of the net, you ain't doin such a great job of it neither.
BigDrawMan wrote:no, I am not showing off, but bwcause french is le lingua francais de le (that means "the" in english!!) food!!
Bwcause French is the French language of food! I love it when FoodDude makes sense!
BigDrawMan wrote:I dont know about yins, but I like to watch a french talkin movie now and then to keep my french mellifluous, ce ba sais??
Holy cow! It's been a long time since I saw mellifluous spelled correctly and used in a sentence in context. My compliments to the chef. I mean, Author! Author! You know what I mean.
BigDrawMan wrote:so the last movie I saw was about a mademoiselle(young girl) looking for work en Paree (that is Paris, France).ANywho, she asks for work at this fancy restaurant and the boss asks where she worked before.She says at a cafe, a brasserie and a bistro.I figgered she was in.But ol pierre said, "No"(which means no in english).So, my question to yins is whats the diff between a restaurant, cafe, bistro and brasserie in the land of France??

expound!!!
Restaurants are regular sit-down places to eat.
Cafes are more casualer in the dress and eatments, and you don't have to wear a jacket. It can extend out onto the sidewalk.
Bistros are where you hang out with American expatriates and drink cheap beer.
A brasserie is mostly a bar, but there is also a limited menu for snacky type things. I ate at a brasserie in Baltimore down by the bay when the Greek restaurant we were going to was closed, and the crab cakes were good but overpriced.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 am

When the food dude wants to know the distinctions of Waffle House, Huddle House and IHOP, I'll be able to help, until then not so much.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:When the food dude wants to know the distinctions of Waffle House, Huddle House and IHOP, I'll be able to help, until then not so much.
There's a difference? I thought one could get indigestion from all three.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#19 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:22 am

The phrase "when you see the Waffle House" is always included when you're giving directions here in the south. We're getting more IHOP's but a Huddle House is few and far between around here anyway.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Auburn, AL GPS
Merry Man

#20 Post by Auburn, AL GPS » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 am

kayrharris wrote:The phrase "when you see the Waffle House" is always included when you're giving directions here

That's the third most used phrase in my memory.

The second is "When the hounds start to chase you"...

The first is "If you see the big still, back up quick"

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#21 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 am

I thought the stills were in Kentucky, but I could be wrong about that.

:roll:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Tocqueville3

#22 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 pm

bon le afternoon, mon peeps!

Well it's about freaking time! The nerve!

I am fabu.

Vompared to the last time I played FT2N I am much better.

Not really. I just have more kids.

You sly devil, you.

Did you toot?

I did!!

know why???

Because your diet stinks and you consume too much red meat, eggs and beans. Say excuse me.

You should say excuse me bwcause it is the polite French thing to do.

:roll:

expound!!!

When I read this all I realy hear in my head is blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah...

Anywho, a bistro serves food and is family style it has a bar and serves wine. A brasserie just had beer and some food. A cafe is much like a bistro but has seating outside and breakfast.

tlynn78

#23 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:34 pm

not adding anything, but it makes me happy to see this heading, so I'm bringing it up.

Bowling shoes!

Breastfeeding!

food expertise!

hah!

t.

Tocqueville3

#24 Post by Tocqueville3 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 pm

I want my points.

nownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownownow!