top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:59 am

This morning I gave another training class (different topic) than last week, but it still felt as if I was running a child care center, given the ages of the attendees.

The next three days should be loads of fun - our contracting database is about to undergo a major upgrade and I've got some tests to run this afternoon before it's shut down. It will be down for the rest of the week; on Friday, if all goes well, I should get word that it's open to do what is called "measures of success" testing, meaning a check to make sure everything works as it should. I've already heard about difficulties that other sites have had, but those were supposed to be worked out in advance of our upgrade. And of course I've already had people complain to me about what effect this would have on their workload. I did give them three weeks' notice and reminded them periodically during that period so they wouldn't end up needing something done at the last minute, but that didn't stifle the complaints. As if I could do anything to stop the shutdown anyway, since the database is in Portland, OR.

The good news is that Friday is not only my flex day but it's also our district's Corps Day - the day that we celebrate the Corps' birthday. The district basically shuts down and everyone who wants to do so is invited to a park for games, food, awards presentations, etc. Those who don't want to go either have to stay in the office, take leave, or, as in my case, observe their flex day.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Gimme A Squiggly
Merry Man

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#2 Post by Gimme A Squiggly » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:04 am

earendel wrote:The good news is that Friday is not only my flex day but it's also our district's Corps Day - the day that we celebrate the Corps' birthday. The district basically shuts down and everyone who wants to do so is invited to a park for games, food, awards presentations, etc. Those who don't want to go either have to stay in the office, take leave, or, as in my case, observe their flex day.

No wonder the government is so inefficient! I want my billions in tax dollars paying for work, not partays and flex days! I'm writing that Congressman I have in my pocket about this fleecing of America....

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:10 am

earendel wrote:This morning I gave another training class (different topic) than last week, but it still felt as if I was running a child care center, given the ages of the attendees.

The next three days should be loads of fun - our contracting database is about to undergo a major upgrade and I've got some tests to run this afternoon before it's shut down. It will be down for the rest of the week; on Friday, if all goes well, I should get word that it's open to do what is called "measures of success" testing, meaning a check to make sure everything works as it should. I've already heard about difficulties that other sites have had, but those were supposed to be worked out in advance of our upgrade. And of course I've already had people complain to me about what effect this would have on their workload. I did give them three weeks' notice and reminded them periodically during that period so they wouldn't end up needing something done at the last minute, but that didn't stifle the complaints. As if I could do anything to stop the shutdown anyway, since the database is in Portland, OR.

The good news is that Friday is not only my flex day but it's also our district's Corps Day - the day that we celebrate the Corps' birthday. The district basically shuts down and everyone who wants to do so is invited to a park for games, food, awards presentations, etc. Those who don't want to go either have to stay in the office, take leave, or, as in my case, observe their flex day.
How old is the Corps?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:25 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
earendel wrote:This morning I gave another training class (different topic) than last week, but it still felt as if I was running a child care center, given the ages of the attendees.

How old is the Corps?
It was founded on June 15, 1775, making it 233 years old. On that date the Continental Congress resolved "That there be one Chief Engineer at the Grand Army (and) that two assistants be employed under him." In the next couple years there were various engineering units created and assigned to units, and on March 11, 1779, these units were consolidated into a "corps of engineers". The Corps takes the former date as its official birthday.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."