B4 Team-The List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bixby17

B4 Team-The List

#1 Post by Bixby17 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 am

Week 239

What are you going to do to help with your health and fitness this season?

Pick one thing, and do it.

More eating in, more intentional activity.

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:58 am

I cut out a page of soup recipes from a fitness magazine, and will make one this week.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

TheCalvinator24

#3 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 am

I will not eat any more of calvinatorette IV's birthday cake.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:05 am

I survived my marathon dance weekend. For the next few days, I intend to grow back my toes and toenails, and to keep the puppy from eating my shoes. (The latter has more to do with mental health. I'm pleased to report that, upon request, she did bring back inside a shoe that I'd spotted in the yard this morning.)

I'm not up to doing much more than that, for the time being.

earendel

Re: B4 Team-The List

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 am

Bixby17 wrote:Week 239

What are you going to do to help with your health and fitness this season?

Pick one thing, and do it.
The one thing I'm choosing is to stay from the team tables in the office. This time of year other people bring in leftover candy from Halloween or snacks.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:36 pm

I was a bit under the weather all weekend and had to make my own soup. I even managed to feed nine for lunch yesterday and still have some left over for a couple of days. That will help me eat semi healthy for a few days. I did buy sweet potatoes and will bake one of those to go with my soup as well. Lots of beta carotene in those.

I think I'm over whatever it was and am feeling much better today.

ladysoleil

#7 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Really need to get back to the gym. Vacation was great and I didn't completely fall off any particular wagons but now that it's getting cold and I'm outside less, I need more exercise.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:07 pm

I will eat at a table, with a plate and a fork and a napkin.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:29 pm

I went to a Curves just now with Mom, who has freebies. Interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I see where it would be perfect for lots of people, especially women who do not want to work out around men, mirrors, or way loud music. There are no weights to drop on your feet.

Everyone I saw was 45+ and somewhat overweight. The music was remixes of popular stuff from several decades - I got there before Mom, and told her she missed "Poison Ivy," one of her favorites. Each machine has a "recovery station" after it, which is a square platform you can jog or dance on between machines. One lady was very much into The Twist, she was sorry to have to stop it to get on the machines. Each stage is only 30 seconds, so if you are really abusing the machine, you are glad to get off of it.

The machines are based on resistance, so there are no weights to adjust or anything. You just sit down and start. There were a couple of adjustments I made for height, but otherwise they fit most people.

I felt like I got a decent cardio workout for 30 minutes, not what I would've with a nasty treadmill or other cardio machine the whole time, but I had some sweat, and a few muscles feel pleasantly warm now.

If you have been avoiding exercising and you fit the demographic, I'd say give it a try. I don't know about paying for a whole year, unless that would help you follow through. It runs about $34/month here plus joining fee, which is usually $150. Look for specials. Whine for specials. Mom got a 10 for $10 which have to be used in 30 days. They outright gave her 2 free visits for me.

I am going again tomorrow but that'll probably be my last time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#10 Post by cindy.wellman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks for the information on Curves. I've always wondered just what it was like. In this teeny tiny town I live in, there is one on Main Street. I can somewhat see in when I drive by, so now the things I've seen make sense.

Oh, and as a heads up, Avon usually offers specials for Curves. They make a whole line of Curves merchandise. The specials range from free initiation, to a free guest pass for two weeks. If you see an Avon catalog go by, you can see what they currently have.

As for myself, I joined this group's President's Challenge Thingy. Today is my official start date for that. My goal is to do my 30 minutes per day this week as directed.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:47 pm

I saw brochures in there offering a free week, if you just walk in. Also I think once you join, you can travel to other locations freely.
--------

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#12 Post by cindy.wellman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:39 pm

I might add that your kitty is quite the adorable one!

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:10 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I went to a Curves just now with Mom, who has freebies. Interesting. Not my cup of tea, but I see where it would be perfect for lots of people, especially women who do not want to work out around men, mirrors, or way loud music. There are no weights to drop on your feet.

Everyone I saw was 45+ and somewhat overweight. The music was remixes of popular stuff from several decades - I got there before Mom, and told her she missed "Poison Ivy," one of her favorites. Each machine has a "recovery station" after it, which is a square platform you can jog or dance on between machines. One lady was very much into The Twist, she was sorry to have to stop it to get on the machines. Each stage is only 30 seconds, so if you are really abusing the machine, you are glad to get off of it.

The machines are based on resistance, so there are no weights to adjust or anything. You just sit down and start. There were a couple of adjustments I made for height, but otherwise they fit most people.

I felt like I got a decent cardio workout for 30 minutes, not what I would've with a nasty treadmill or other cardio machine the whole time, but I had some sweat, and a few muscles feel pleasantly warm now.

If you have been avoiding exercising and you fit the demographic, I'd say give it a try. I don't know about paying for a whole year, unless that would help you follow through. It runs about $34/month here plus joining fee, which is usually $150. Look for specials. Whine for specials. Mom got a 10 for $10 which have to be used in 30 days. They outright gave her 2 free visits for me.

I am going again tomorrow but that'll probably be my last time.
Pealette was interested in joining Curves last year. I went with her to the one closest to her home. There hours were odd. I know they are franchises and the owner makes the hours and they were really odd - like open from 9:00 to 12:00 and then 3:00 to 7:00. She didn't join just for that reason.

I think they have found a niche. So many older (Ha! look who is talking) out of shape women do not want to exercise next to the young chickies.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#14 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 am

My m-i-l goes to a Curves. Okay, she BELONGS to a Curves.... Anyway, the odd hours help keep the prices down. My husband joined a 24-hr place, but goes during "normal" hours. But it'd be great for someone who can only get free time when the kids are asleep.

I suppose this week anything I do will be an improvement over what I've been doing this weekend. Let's just say I'll be lucky if there are any Snickers left for the Trick-or-Treaters. But since we average one visitor every two years, they can have the Twix bars.....

I will knock it off. I promise.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#15 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:49 am

cindy.wellman wrote:I might add that your kitty is quite the adorable one!
I have to second that! Dub is my favorite avatar! He has assumed the position quite nicely.

Bixby17

#16 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:07 am

cindy.wellman wrote:Thanks for the information on Curves. I've always wondered just what it was like. In this teeny tiny town I live in, there is one on Main Street. I can somewhat see in when I drive by, so now the things I've seen make sense.

Oh, and as a heads up, Avon usually offers specials for Curves. They make a whole line of Curves merchandise. The specials range from free initiation, to a free guest pass for two weeks. If you see an Avon catalog go by, you can see what they currently have.

As for myself, I joined this group's President's Challenge Thingy. Today is my official start date for that. My goal is to do my 30 minutes per day this week as directed.
Woohooo! Glad you are helping the team. The more the merrier!