World Championship = Free Furniture

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

World Championship = Free Furniture

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:05 pm

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14 ... etail.html

We tried to take advantage of this, but didn't find anything we liked at the time. Shame. Great promotion, though, and they had some timely commercials set up for during and after each series.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

Re: World Championship = Free Furniture

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:08 pm

gsabc wrote:http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14 ... etail.html

We tried to take advantage of this, but didn't find anything we liked at the time. Shame. Great promotion, though, and they had some timely commercials set up for during and after each series.
Fortunately the company bought an insurance policy to cover them in the event this happened (I heard it on NPR this morning).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:06 pm

There used to be similar promotions around these parts.

Nebraska Furniture Mart would do a promotion on big-screen televisions and maybe furniture, with no payments if the Huskers won the National Title.

People hit the jackpot in 1994 and 1995, but then they stopped the promotion (likely because who would insure such a near sure thing? :lol: )

Thus, there was no added benefit to the 1997 crown.

They continued it again after Solich took over, and they dodged a bullet in 2001.

Now, nobody in their right mind would think, "Hey, we could get a free television!" :evil:

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:13 pm

Appa23 wrote:There used to be similar promotions around these parts.

Nebraska Furniture Mart would do a promotion on big-screen televisions and maybe furniture, with no payments if the Huskers won the National Title.

People hit the jackpot in 1994 and 1995, but then they stopped the promotion (likely because who would insure such a near sure thing? :lol: )

Thus, there was no added benefit to the 1997 crown.

They continued it again after Solich took over, and they dodged a bullet in 2001.

Now, nobody in their right mind would think, "Hey, we could get a free television!" :evil:
Around here the only promotion of this type involves snow on Christmas Day.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 pm

The lucky furniture buyers will be surprised when they receive their 1099's in January :)

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:The lucky furniture buyers will be surprised when they receive their 1099's in January :)
Probably. It was stated in the rules that the nature of this "rebate" was such that it was a taxable event. I'd bet that very few of the buyers actually read the rules. Still, getting brand new furniture for a third the price, or whatever your total tax bracket is, isn't too shabby.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

andrewjackson

#7 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 pm

World Championship?

Played for by clubs teams from two countries? I don't see any teams from any of the other baseball leagues around the world involved. That is not a world championship.

Why isn't World Series champion enough? I can live with "World Series" purely for historical reasons but why do they have to falsely claim "World Champions"?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#8 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:35 pm

I was worried there for a second. When I saw aj posted in this thread, I was afraid he was going to tell us The Hermitage was furnished via a bet about the outcome of the Battle of New Orleans.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

fuzzywuzzy

Don't forget...we all get free tacos tomorrow 2-5 pm

#9 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:39 pm

Steal a Base, Steal a Taco!

Remember, a base was stolen during the World Series, therefore, all Taco Bells across the nation will be giving out free tacos on Tuesday, Oct 30, 2007 from 2:00 - 5:00 pm!

One free crunchy seasoned beef taco/customer.

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:02 pm

andrewjackson wrote:World Championship?

Played for by clubs teams from two countries? I don't see any teams from any of the other baseball leagues around the world involved. That is not a world championship.

Why isn't World Series champion enough? I can live with "World Series" purely for historical reasons but why do they have to falsely claim "World Champions"?
Some men get cuter when they get picky.

aj is one of those men.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Don't forget...we all get free tacos tomorrow 2-5 pm

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:07 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Steal a Base, Steal a Taco!

Remember, a base was stolen during the World Series, therefore, all Taco Bells across the nation will be giving out free tacos on Tuesday, Oct 30, 2007 from 2:00 - 5:00 pm!

One free crunchy seasoned beef taco/customer.

fuzzy 8)

Thanks for sharing, I love free food!