Interesting promo on J! tonight

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Kazoo65

Interesting promo on J! tonight

#1 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:13 pm

I was watching J! and during the commercial break between Double Jeopardy! and Final Jeopardy, I saw a promo. It was telling former J! contestants (and I KNOW there are some in this group) to go to the J! site and tell them about how being on J! has changed their life. We all know what KJ would say!

Since next year is their 25th season, I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a book of some sort and they are collecting the stories for that. Stay tuned!

Unfortunately I'm NOT a former J! contestant YET. I'd like to be, though!
I'm just a game show nerd.

Shade

#2 Post by Shade » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter would probably get their own chapters of that book. :D

I'm not a former Jeopardy contestant, although I was on Jeopardy in a dream I had a couple nights ago...Does that count!? :D

takinover

#3 Post by takinover » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Tonight's Final J! was one of my QoD questions.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks for telling us about this. I made a contribution.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 pm

I was going to get Maddie and Jeff to fill out the form, but look at this:

By clicking “Submit” on the form, I agree to the following terms:

I hereby grant to Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. (“SPE”) its employees, agents, successors, licensees, assigns, parents, subsidiaries and affiliates, the irrevocable non-exclusive right and license to use, simulate and impersonate forever my name, face, likeness, voice, appearance, actions, biographical information, activities, career and experiences, under my name as I appeared on the show and current name if different in, and/or in connection with the production, distribution, exhibition, advertising and other use of SPE’s production in perpetuity throughout the world. The rights herein granted to SPE shall include the right to depict and/or portray me to such extent and in such manner as SPE in its discretion may determine, and to edit any of my statements or comments and/or juxtapose my face, likeness, appearance, actions, activities, career, experiences and/or statements or comments, or any simulation and/or impersonation thereof, with any film clips and/or other material. I acknowledge that any editing of my statements or comments and/or juxtapositions of film clips and or other material, shall be at SPE’s discretion. I hereby represent and warrant that all statement made by me are truthful.

Further, SPE shall have full and sole ownership of all rights in and to SPE’s production in perpetuity throughout the world, including without limitation the right to distribute, exhibit, or otherwise use any such production, in whole or in part, by any method, for one or more times and in any medium, including theatrically, non-theatrically, and by means of television or otherwise in connection with SPE’s production or separate and apart from SPE’s production. I understand that SPE is under no obligation to exercise any of its rights, licenses and privileges herein granted.

I hereby release and discharge SPE from any and all liability arising out of any injury of any kind, including, without limitation, any claims for defamation, violation of rights of privacy and/or publicity, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, which may be sustained by me from participation in or in connection with the making or utilization of SPE’s production or by reason of the exercise by SPE or any of the rights granted to SPE hereunder whether or not said liability results from SPE’s negligent acts (active or passive).

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 pm

That means to me they want to be able to make fun of people if a sequence presents itself. I bet they don't do anything to mock kids, but adults are fair game.

Besides, most of what people send in won't make the cut anyway.

I'm not encouraging anyone to participate or stay out. But it's good to consider what evil people could do with that release.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#7 Post by hermillion » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 pm

That seems very similar to the release that 1 vs. 100 required for the Last Man Standing version.

All I ask is that they choose a much younger, more in-shape female body to paste my head on.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

15QuestionsAway

#8 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:57 pm

hermillion wrote:That seems very similar to the release that 1 vs. 100 required for the Last Man Standing version.
I think the entertainment lawyers must have competitions to see who can create the most mind boggling set of restrictions.

The one I signed when auditioning for Duel used the phrase "throughout the universe" quite a bit. I guess their lawyers from the United Federation of Planets are thinking potential contestants are going to book a flight on Virgin Galactic with their winnings, cross the 100 km barrier into space and then assert their rights.

Well, it was Rocket Science Productions handling the auditions. I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised.

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:59 pm

The catch is that these shows almost never give you a copy of whatever you signed, so I have no way of going back and verifying what I've agreed to do and not do. Even when you specifically ask for a copy, some AP generally says "sure, we can get that for you before you leave," and then they don't do it.

thguy65

#10 Post by thguy65 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:25 am

15QuestionsAway wrote: I think the entertainment lawyers must have competitions to see who can create the most mind boggling set of restrictions.

The one I signed when auditioning for Duel used the phrase "throughout the universe" quite a bit. I guess their lawyers from the United Federation of Planets are thinking potential contestants are going to book a flight on Virgin Galactic with their winnings, cross the 100 km barrier into space and then assert their rights.

Well, it was Rocket Science Productions handling the auditions. I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised.
Ah, but in the alternate timeline I didn't sign the release form, so across the entire multiverse I could still take those bastards to the cleaners for ridiculing me.

(It could be stuff like this which eventually sends the writers on strike.)
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:17 am

15QuestionsAway wrote: I think the entertainment lawyers must have competitions to see who can create the most mind boggling set of restrictions.
At least they're only demanding non-exclusive rights. :roll:

nitrah55

#12 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 am

IIRC, the waiver I signed when I was a J! contestant wasn't all that different.

Some months after my appearance, one of my aunts told me that she saw me on some generic J! promo, and I eventually saw it, too. Just a half-second glance of me at the podium.

The waiver let them do that without paying me for being in their commercial.

The price of glory.

Hmmm....how has being a J! contestant changed my life?

The story has been told a few times on various boards about how my loss on J! was the result of faulty betting in Final J!, the result of a rush of adrenaline that happened as I went from last to first in Double J! I remember thinking at the time that what I was upset about was not that I lost, but that I wouldn't get to play again.

My show taped in February 1993. Later that month, The Bride was in the World Trade Center when a bomb went off in the underground parking garage. Six people were killed, but everyone else got out of the building, most of them by walking down smoky, dark stairwells- The Bride had to go down 29 stories, which was a lot less than many people had to manage. Until she called when she got out, I was tense, to put it mildly.
Losing on J!, I realized, was not only not the worst thing that happened in my life, it wasn't even the worst thing that happened that month.

When my show aired, I found out the simple truth that people who thought I was ok before still thought I was ok, and people who thought I was a jerk before still thought I was a jerk.

Being on J! changed my life to the extent that it made me realize being on J! wasn't going to change my life a lot- except that it's as much fun as I've ever had.
I am about 25% sure of this.

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 am

15QuestionsAway wrote: The one I signed when auditioning for Duel used the phrase "throughout the universe" quite a bit. I guess their lawyers from the United Federation of Planets are thinking potential contestants are going to book a flight on Virgin Galactic with their winnings, cross the 100 km barrier into space and then assert their rights.

The WoF forms from 13 years ago were similar with "universal" rights. I actually asked the contestant coordinators when I got there if they had plans to broadcast in the Alpha Centauri sector. It got a blank stare. Go for laugh, no get.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#14 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:53 am

gsabc wrote:Go for laugh, no get.
Gee, that never happens to me.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.