Hey Ms. 1111

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

Hey Ms. 1111

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Were you born in Hawai'i, if so what kind of information is recorded on your Birth Certificate? Not you specifically, but what categories of info. And no you can't hide in the Moratorium Lounge, but you can refuse my request.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

christie1111
11:11

#2 Post by christie1111 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:42 pm

I wouldn't think about not responding to your request. But I will not be of a lot of help about my information, specifically. I was born in Virginia.

But what is it you need? Swampyturtles has childern born there and she usually responds to my questions.

Unless there is something busy going on at HPD. Like someone from Lost got caught drunk driving or something.

:D
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 pm

christie1111 wrote:I wouldn't think about not responding to your request. But I will not be of a lot of help about my information, specifically. I was born in Virginia.

But what is it you need? Swampyturtles has childern born there and she usually responds to my questions.

Unless there is something busy going on at HPD. Like someone from Lost got caught drunk driving or something.

Some news organization has asked for a copy of Obama's birth certificate, he won't release it, it seems as silly as the thing about McCain being ineligible cause he was born in the Canal Zone. But I was wondering what possible information there could be on the certificate. But I'd really want to know what was on a 1961 era certificate. I also wonder if this has made the news in Hawai'i
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

christie1111

#4 Post by christie1111 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I hadn't heard of this question, but maybe I was having a pomegrante margarita in the Morotorium Lounge.

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/ ... M3Nzc1Mzk=

Don't have any insider info on this. And given SwampyTurtles position, I would not ask her to comment.

This whole thing would be another reason why people would never run for office.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 am

I was wondering why such a simple question might have anything to do with the Moratorium Lounge. :|

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
christie1111 wrote:I wouldn't think about not responding to your request. But I will not be of a lot of help about my information, specifically. I was born in Virginia.

Some news organization has asked for a copy of Obama's birth certificate, he won't release it, it seems as silly as the thing about McCain being ineligible cause he was born in the Canal Zone. But I was wondering what possible information there could be on the certificate. But I'd really want to know what was on a 1961 era certificate. I also wonder if this has made the news in Hawai'i
You can see an example of a 1961 Hawaii birth certificate here. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111

#7 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 pm

So what was the big deal?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm

christie1111 wrote:So what was the big deal?
The big deal was that the report seen by suitguy was evidently false. Contrary to the rumor, Obama is not withholding his birth certificate.

I'm curious, though. We've already seen a number of provably false smears about Obama. I don't recall seeing any about McCain. Spin, sure, but I don't recall any false factual statements. Am I misremembering? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111

#9 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:43 pm

Okay, that's it for me.

Back to the Morotorium Lounge for me for a Mai Tai!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I'm curious, though. We've already seen a number of provably false smears about Obama. I don't recall seeing any about McCain. Spin, sure, but I don't recall any false factual statements. Am I misremembering? --Bob
Maybe. Or perhaps you don't get out much.

Seriously, I see one difference in the fact that McCain has been a public figure for so much longer. Scurrilous accusations have been hurled in his direction in previous Senate campaigns and recently, and to the best of my knowledge, most of them were disproven. Since Obama is relatively newer on the public scene, the details of his life have been less fully examined.

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:19 am

Bob78164 wrote:
The big deal was that the report seen by suitguy was evidently false. Contrary to the rumor, Obama is not withholding his birth certificate.

Bob, I'm curious what part of the report I mentioned was false? A news organization had asked for a copy of the birth certificate, the request was refused. On 6/12 (after my post) the Obama campaign furnished a Certification of Live Birth to the the St. Petersburg Times. For the paranoid the CLB is not exactly the same as Birth Certificate. BTW does a smear published in the NY Times not count?
Suitguy is not bitter.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#12 Post by sunflower » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:02 am

Bob78164 wrote:I'm curious, though. We've already seen a number of provably false smears about Obama. I don't recall seeing any about McCain. Spin, sure, but I don't recall any false factual statements. Am I misremembering? --Bob
I was reading an article yesterday that said this is such an abnormal situation, where we don't know anything about the candidate/he doesn't have a lot of experience. So people CAN make stuff up because there isn't a lot out there that is authentic. You can't as easily make stuff up about McCain because almost his whole history is out there already, so if you make up a rumor it's almost immediately squashed.

It was just one article's perspective, but it makes sense to me. It went on to say that Obama's best defense is just to immediately provide evidence that things are false. I guess his campaign set up a "myth busting" website for exactly that purpose, but I didn't get a link to it or anything, so I haven't seen it.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Bob, I'm curious what part of the report I mentioned was false? <U>A news organization had asked for a copy of the birth certificate, the request was refused.</U> On 6/12 (after my post) the Obama campaign furnished a Certification of Live Birth to the the St. Petersburg Times. For the paranoid the CLB is not exactly the same as Birth Certificate. BTW does a smear published in the NY Times not count?
This part. I haven't seen any evidence that the request was made and refused. --Bob

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The big deal was that the report seen by suitguy was evidently false. Contrary to the rumor, Obama is not withholding his birth certificate.

Bob, I'm curious what part of the report I mentioned was false? <U>A news organization had asked for a copy of the birth certificate, the request was refused.</U> On 6/12 (after my post) the Obama campaign furnished a Certification of Live Birth to the the St. Petersburg Times. For the paranoid the CLB is not exactly the same as Birth Certificate. BTW does a smear published in the NY Times not count?
This part. I haven't seen any evidence that the request was made and refused. --Bob

We tried to obtain a copy of Obama’s birth certificate, but his campaign would not release it and the state of Hawaii does not make such records public. (UPDATE: On June 12, 2008, the Obama campaign e-mailed to PolitiFact a copy of the senator's birth certificate. It confirms our findings. See it for yourself here.)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/464/
Suitguy is not bitter.