Transcript 06/10/2008 Brad DeMoss (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/10/2008 Brad DeMoss (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Brad DeMoss
Sherman Oaks, CA

"Lives and breathes game shows"
Started as a teenager, first attending game shows, then appearing as a contestant. This is his 'lucky' seventh game show appearance. Says MV is the greatest because she looks like she really wants us to win.

Has all lifelines

$4000- In 2007, what dessert was heralded by Latina magazine as "a divine concoction of caramel, vanilla and leche condensada"?
A. Cannoli B. Parfait
C. Tiramisu D. Flan

$8000- Which of the following is a fancy word for a beekeeper?
A. Apiarist B. Horticulturist
C. Taxidermist D. Ornithologist

$16,000
What classic novel begins with the line "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen"?
A. A Clockwork Orange B. Animal Farm
C. Brave New World D. 1984

PAF Patricia (Trish) says 1984 and is confident.

$25,000
The slogan "with bouncing soles" appears on the logo of what popular footwear brand?
A. Rockport B. Dr. Martens
C. Keds D. Birkenstock

ATA
A-22% B- 30%
C-35% D-13%

50/50 leaves A & B

Brad walks with $16,000.

Answers:
$4000- D. Flan
$8000- A. Apiarist
$16K- D. 1984
$25K- B. Dr. Martens

Commercial break

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/10/2008 Brad DeMoss (carryover contestant)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:33 am

$25K: I was leaning toward Dr. Martens, but I would've made the mistake of asking the audience. That would've required me to burn the PAF also.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brad DeMoss
Sherman Oaks, CA

Started as a teenager, first attending game shows, then appearing as a contestant. This is his 'lucky' seventh game show appearance. Says MV is the greatest because she looks like she really wants us to win.
So has anyone tried to find out the other game shows he was on?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
What classic novel begins with the line "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen"?
A. A Clockwork Orange B. Animal Farm
C. Brave New World D. 1984

PAF Patricia (Trish) says 1984 and is confident.
She should be - I thought I heard her keying in as Brad was speaking. This is a pretty wicked question for this level and Brad did a good job of handling it, although it's not exactly the best PAF question. I knew the answer because after reading Farenheit 451 I decided to memorize 1984.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
The slogan "with bouncing soles" appears on the logo of what popular footwear brand?
C. Keds D. Birkenstock

ATA
A-22% B- 30%
C-35% D-13%

50/50 leaves A & B

Brad walks with $16,000.
And yet another WWOQ. I have never heard of this, and my son, who loves shoes, hadn't either, nor had elwing. If I'd have been in the HS I'd have gone with ATA also and then straight to PAF. Fortunately Google gives the answer right away.

So I'd be going for $50K with STQ and 50/50 remaining.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Brad DeMoss
Sherman Oaks, CA

So has anyone tried to find out the other game shows he was on?
I can't find his name in the J! Archive.

There is a Brad DeMoss with an IMDB page, though, which would make him a left-coast WE/WE.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:49 am

Here's one item I found on DeMoss:

Slightly more successful was the recent appearance of USH (Universal Studios Hollywood) employee Brad Demoss as a contestant on Pax TV's The Weakest Link. The actor, who is said to "interview for every game show there is," plays the face character Doc Brown of Back to the Future fame. Although he looks little like Christopher Lloyd, even in costume, he's renowned for his outstanding guest relations skills and encyclopedic knowledge of the Back to the Future trilogy.

During the January 21 telecast, Demoss got the chance to do his Doc Brown voice, chiding a fellow contestant for thinking FDR was on Mount Rushmore. Naturally, his impression was promptly criticized by the show's sharp-tongued host. Later, a fellow contestant also took a jab at Demoss after she was voted off the show, incredulous that he would appear on national television "without ironing his shirt." Alas, Demoss was voted off after the next round.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 am

And here is the IMDB entry that marley was referring to:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0218672/

And he is a fellow Greedite, 4/21/00. He won $5,000.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:01 am

ulysses5019 wrote:And here is the IMDB entry that marley was referring to:

OK, that's three - Greed, The Weakest Link, and BAM. I wonder if the others might be more obscure, local-type game shows.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:05 am

earendel wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:And here is the IMDB entry that marley was referring to:

OK, that's three - Greed, The Weakest Link, and BAM. I wonder if the others might be more obscure, local-type game shows.
Dunno what else they could be. But I'm sure they are all taped out here.

Here is a video from his website (he's the one with the bad anime accent):

http://homepage.mac.com/bdemoss/Music_V ... ter27.html

megaaddict

#9 Post by megaaddict » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000
C. Keds D. Birkenstock

ATA
A-22% B- 30%
C-35% D-13%

50/50 leaves A & B
I've always thought it was reasonable to massage ATA numbers in an attempt to convert the answer percentages into probabilities that a choice is correct. As this question illustrates, the 50/50 provides a trove of information for accomplishing this.

First of all, when the 50/50 eliminates 48% of the audience who are obviously guessing, it's reasonable to adjust the percentages by complietely eliminated audience members who (we now know) guessed incorrectly So combining the 50/50 and the ATA the probability of an answer being right becomes:

A - 22 out of 52 = 42% B - 30 out of 52 = 58%
C&D - 0%

Secondly, I think it's also reasonble to assume that some portion of the audience merely guesses randomly and that a good estimate of the size of that portion is given by the incorrect answer with the smallest percentage. So why not take the lowest incorect percentage and assume that at least that many people chose each choice at random? In this case, you would assume that a total of 52% (13% each for A, B, C and D) made a total random guess.

So ignoring the 52% "totatlly clueless" responses, the original percentages would look like:

A - 9% B - 17%
C - 22% D - 0%

When you adjust these percentages proportionately and according to the 50/50 the result is:

A - 9 out of 26 = 35% B - 17 out of 26 = 65%
C & D - 0%

I'll leave it to hardware guy to see if the statistics support my theory. But given that it was obvious that much if not most of the audience was guessing and that it's not likely in my mind that more incorrect guessers would go with one of the two remainining answers than the other, I would have concluded that the difference in the percentages was due almost entirely to people who actually knew the correct answer and would have happily risked the $15K on B for one more lifeline and a shot at $50K and maybe more.