RIP Tim Russert

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

RIP Tim Russert

#1 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Tom Brokaw just announced it on CNBC.

dodgersteve182

#2 Post by dodgersteve182 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Shocking! Only 58.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#3 Post by hermillion » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Good grief! An apparent heart attack at 56.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm

The quality of NBC News just improved by about 10%.

Russert was an example of how TV news journalism has deteriorated over the years. Instead of trying to report on the news and conduct interviews intended to elicit information from newsmakers, he engaged in cheap attempts at "gotcha" ambush journalism and snide efforts to twist events around to support his own views.

For people who remember the days of Huntley-Brinkley, John Chancellor and others, Russert will not be missed.

VAdame

#5 Post by VAdame » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Damn -- I just saw that on Salon.

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Contrary to sss's opinion, I always thought Russert was a good interviewer. He was willing to ask the tough questions that other interviewers would avoid. He also took his shots at politicians from both sides of the aisle.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Jeemie

#7 Post by Jeemie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Contrary to sss's opinion, I always thought Russert was a good interviewer. He was willing to ask the tough questions that other interviewers would avoid. He also took his shots at politicians from both sides of the aisle.
Agreed. I have no idea where SSS got that impression.

SSS- Hillary lost- get over it and stop being so bitter about life!

RIP Mr. Russert.
1979 City of Champions 2009

hf_jai

#8 Post by hf_jai » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:04 pm

I hope he RIPs, but I'm not sorry he'll no longer be hosting MTP. His brand of "gotcha journalism" is a lot of what's wrong with network news. And I've thought the same for a very long time, not just this last election cycle.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Seeing how I'm six weeks younger than he was, that is disturbing. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

fuzzywuzzy

Re: RIP Tim Russert

#10 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:34 pm

TheConfessor wrote:Tom Brokaw just announced it on CNBC.
I am in shock. He has been our Sunday constitutional for many years.

He was my favorite journalist. I am sending my thoughts and prayers to his family.

Kelly
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:51 pm

Jeemie wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:Contrary to sss's opinion, I always thought Russert was a good interviewer. He was willing to ask the tough questions that other interviewers would avoid. He also took his shots at politicians from both sides of the aisle.

RIP Mr. Russert.
Russert wasn't an evil person; he was flawed like all of us. I'm sure that it was a terrible loss for his family and friends and my sympathies go out to them.

I follow a number of film sites closely and there is a tendency whenever some controversial or not-so-talented actor or director dies for some people to post comments of the "no great loss to the world of cinema" variety. I've criticized such posters in the past and realize that my own gut reaction here to Russert's death was essentially the same thing and that was wrong of me. There's plenty of time later for an analysis of Russert's strengths and weaknesses as a journalist.

Scathing criticism of someone who has just died should be limited at most to the bare minimum of those people whose deaths actively improve the world, such as serial killers and dictatorial tyrants. Obviously, Russert was not that type of person, and I should not have said what I did. I apologize if I offended anyone.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Seeing how I'm six weeks younger than he was, that is disturbing. :cry:
My next door office neighbor graduated from the same college the same year Mr. Russert did. I agree with BobJuch, this is very troubling. :(

Makes me want to order everyone in for a checkup.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

starfish1113

#13 Post by starfish1113 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:59 pm

This is devastating to me. I remember years ago somebody posted a question as to what person or people who, had they died, would you be most shocked about. I don't remember who I put down, but Russert would definitely be on my short list. I thought he was great, both personally and professionally.

And, sss, I thought your second post was fantastic. You don't see something like that very often on this bored (or anywhere).

wintergreen48

#14 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

RIP Mr. Russert.
Russert wasn't an evil person; he was flawed like all of us. I'm sure that it was a terrible loss for his family and friends and my sympathies go out to them.

I follow a number of film sites closely and there is a tendency whenever some controversial or not-so-talented actor or director dies for some people to post comments of the "no great loss to the world of cinema" variety. I've criticized such posters in the past and realize that my own gut reaction here to Russert's death was essentially the same thing and that was wrong of me. There's plenty of time later for an analysis of Russert's strengths and weaknesses as a journalist.

Scathing criticism of someone who has just died should be limited at most to the bare minimum of those people whose deaths actively improve the world, such as serial killers and dictatorial tyrants. Obviously, Russert was not that type of person, and I should not have said what I did. I apologize if I offended anyone.
Very thoughtful message; delete the last four words and it would be perfect; with those last four words, and it is, well, Clintonesque...

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#15 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:11 pm

Jeemie wrote:

Thanks sss - you did not have to post an apology, but it shows class that you chose to do so.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

goongas

#16 Post by goongas » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Tim Russert was one of my favorite journalists. I admired his tough questioning of politicians from both sides of the aisle. I also admired his intense preparation for his interviews and debates that he moderated, instead of relying on the talking points of the day to ask questions from.

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:52 pm

I got the biggest kick years ago when he made a cameo appearance on Homicide because Isabel Hoffmans character was also named Russert.

I just bought Big Russ and Me. I'd been meaning to buy it for ages and finally bought it last weekend.

Boonie & I were both looking forward to reading it. We always felt a kinship with Russert, because of the blue-collar roots we all share.

When I was job-hunting in DC almost 20 years ago, I was reworking my resume with a former Hill staffer who had gone into TV. We were discussing our backgrounds.

Out of the blue he said, "You know Russert? You really gotta meet Russert. You sound like Russert."

It never came to pass. I feel as if I've lost a friend, even though I never met the man.

TheConfessor

#18 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Russert was an example of how TV news journalism has deteriorated over the years. Instead of trying to report on the news and conduct interviews intended to elicit information from newsmakers, he engaged in cheap attempts at "gotcha" ambush journalism and snide efforts to twist events around to support his own views.
I don't know who your political heroes are, other than Hillary Clinton, but it's a safe bet that they all had nothing but good things to say about Tim Russert today.

Here is the statement released by Bill and Hillary Clinton:
"We were stunned and deeply saddened to hear of the passing today of Tim Russert. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Maureen, his son Luke, his father who we all have come to know as Big Russ, his extended family and all of his many friends and colleagues at NBC who have suffered a tremendous loss. Always true to his proud Buffalo roots, Tim had a love of public service and a dedication to journalism that rightfully earned him the respect and admiration of not only his colleagues but also those of us who had the privilege to go toe to toe with him. In seeking answers to tough questions, he helped inform the American people and make our democracy stronger. We join his friends, fans and loved ones in mourning his loss and celebrating his remarkable contribution to our nation."

JBillyGirl

#19 Post by JBillyGirl » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:01 pm

I've been told that Tim Russert was a regular NTN trivia player at a DC bar (can't remember the name) and that he was really, really good. I remember seeing his handle (which I think may have been simply "Russ") on the Tuesday night leaderboard a few times.

I even nurtured a modest fantasy about going to this bar sometime to see if I could meet him or at least play in the same place he was. Oh well, another pipe dream bites the dust. I hope they have bar trivia in heaven, 'cause I'm sure he'd take no prisoners. Hail and farewell, Russ.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#20 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 pm

JBillyGirl wrote:I've been told that Tim Russert was a regular NTN trivia player at a DC bar (can't remember the name) and that he was really, really good. I remember seeing his handle (which I think may have been simply "Russ") on the Tuesday night leaderboard a few times.

I even nurtured a modest fantasy about going to this bar sometime to see if I could meet him or at least play in the same place he was. Oh well, another pipe dream bites the dust. I hope they have bar trivia in heaven, 'cause I'm sure he'd take no prisoners. Hail and farewell, Russ.
I checked to see if there was a "russ" at the Hyatt Grand Slam in DC since that is/was one of the better NTN bars. There was a "russ" registered on their board and had about 3 million points. I would have like to have played with him too.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

KillerTomato

#21 Post by KillerTomato » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:12 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
JBillyGirl wrote:I've been told that Tim Russert was a regular NTN trivia player at a DC bar (can't remember the name) and that he was really, really good. I remember seeing his handle (which I think may have been simply "Russ") on the Tuesday night leaderboard a few times.

I checked to see if there was a "russ" at the Hyatt Grand Slam in DC since that is/was one of the better NTN bars. There was a "russ" registered on their board and had about 3 million points. I would have like to have played with him too.

That was him. I actually did play with him once. He was a friendly, outgoing guy who didn't put on any airs. I liked him on many levels, personally and professionally.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

gsabc

#22 Post by gsabc » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:41 am

This morning's Today show was dedicated to Russert. FWIW, Dick Cheney, in a live interview, specifically said that Russert wasn't one of those to engage in gotcha journalism.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

wbtravis007

#23 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:39 am

kayrharris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Thanks sss - you did not have to post an apology, but it shows class that you chose to do so.
Rec!

wintergreen wrote:

Very thoughtful message; delete the last four words and it would be perfect; with those last four words, and it is, well, Clintonesque...

I'll non-rec this. Everyone's heard the adage that any apology that has the word "if" or "but" in the same sentence isn't an apology. True enough in most instances. Not this time, though. To dismiss the sincerity of sss's admission that he shouldn't have said what he did by hauling out that old generality doesn't seem to me to fit here. When I see someone go a little too far out of the way to try to be cute, it reminds me of someone; I consider it to be, well, Bush League ...

hf_jai

#24 Post by hf_jai » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:17 pm

gsabc wrote:This morning's Today show was dedicated to Russert. FWIW, Dick Cheney, in a live interview, specifically said that Russert wasn't one of those to engage in gotcha journalism.
I rest my case.

Sincerely tho, I don't know what else you'd call it when you play a video or show a written quote, usually out of context, and then demand the "guest" explain what he really meant.

I also never cared for the pack of jackals who would appear after the guest had left, to tear him apart without giving any chance to respond and defend himself. That wasn't Russert tho, just the show's format.

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Jeemie wrote:

Rec!

wintergreen wrote:

I'll non-rec this. Everyone's heard the adage that any apology that has the word "if" or "but" in the same sentence isn't an apology. True enough in most instances. Not this time, though. To dismiss the sincerity of sss's admission that he shouldn't have said what he did by hauling out that old generality doesn't seem to me to fit here. When I see someone go a little too far out of the way to try to be cute, it reminds me of someone; I consider it to be, well, Bush League ...
I admit that I can play word games with the best of them, but I wasn't trying to do so with that post. Sometimes I will make an effort to pick and choose words and phrases carefully to say (or not say) something specific. Yesterday wasn't one of those times. I made that post sincerely.

What got me to thinking was the reaction on one of the boards on which I post when Bob Clark the director died. He directed A Christmas Story, Porky's and a few other well known movies. Late in his career, he took some paycheck jobs on some really bad films. He wasn't an A-list director, but some people, myself included, admired his talent. Others thought he was a completely talentless hack. He was a single father raising a teenage son and died in a very grisly car accident. The day he died there were some completely tasteless posts, regardless of one's opinion of his talent. Even though I'm sure none of his family or friends read the comments, they were uncalled for and spiteful.

I realized after my initial post about Russert that there were a lot of similarities. Russert was honest, a hard worker, a tremendous family man, and a man with a lot of friends. A lot of people, Mrs. SSS included, had a very high opinion of him, and, regardless of my opinion of his journalistic direction, this thread wasn't the place for this type of comment.

My first post was made from the gut, without a lot of thinking. My second was after reflection but wasn't an attempt to play word games that would be out of place in a thread like this.

I shouldn't have made the comments I did, and it's not a matter of whether anyone was offended or not. I apologize.