Transcript 6/13/2008 - Laury Cuddihy (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/13/2008 - Laury Cuddihy (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:50 am

Laury Cuddihy
New York City, NY
Doctor

At work Laury is known as "Dr. Cuddihy" but her neighbors know her as "The lady who sleeps in her car". When she's on call all night she doesn't get home until 9 or 10, which is prime alternate-side-of-the-street parking and she can't find a place to park near her house. So she parks and waits, but she's so tired that she goes to sleep. Meredith says her neighbors don't know she's a doctor - they must think she's a bum. If Laury wins the million dollars she's going to buy herself a parking spot - that's all she cares about.

$2K - Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is located where?

A - St. Augustine, FL
B - Charleston, SC
C - Savannah, GA
D - Mobile, AL

Laury has absolutely no idea so she wants to ask the very smart audience.

ATA results:
A - 91%
B - 1%
C - 6%
D - 2%

Laury goes with the audience's answer.

$4K - Because it's considered bad luck to speak it's name, what Shakespeare tragedy is also referred to as "the Scottish play"?

A - Othello
B - King Lear
C - Macbeth
D - Hamlet

Laury doesn't want to guess so she asks to call Roy Krauss, "one of our great family friends". Laury reads the question and Roy asks for a repeat. He doesn't know so he'll have to guess and with 4 seconds left he guesses "Othello". Laury said she was thinking this also. She's scared but she's going to go with that answer. Laury exits the Hot Seat with $1K.

ANSWERS:
$2K - A (St. Augustine, FL)
$4K - C (Macbeth)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:29 am

Yikes, on both.

Okay, I have a question for the smart New Yorkers in the audience. What exactly does "buying a parking spot" mean? Does it mean paying a monthly fee for a guaranteed opening in a parking garage or closed lot, or does Manhattan have some way to pay for ownership or temporary custody of a street parking space?

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:32 am

Apparently a medical education doesn't educate one in the basics of history, geography and literature.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#4 Post by clem21 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:51 am

silvercamaro wrote:Yikes, on both.

Okay, I have a question for the smart New Yorkers in the audience. What exactly does "buying a parking spot" mean? Does it mean paying a monthly fee for a guaranteed opening in a parking garage or closed lot, or does Manhattan have some way to pay for ownership or temporary custody of a street parking space?
The former, although there are also people who pay yearly as well as own their own spaces

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:59 am

clem21 wrote:

The former, although there are also people who pay yearly as well as own their own spaces
Thanks, Clem. I've only lived in places where there may not be a parking space as close to the front door as one might like, but there's always parking somewhere nearby.

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 am

silvercamaro wrote:
clem21 wrote:

Thanks, Clem. I've only lived in places where there may not be a parking space as close to the front door as one might like, but there's always parking somewhere nearby.
I've seen ads for sections of Center City Philadelphia for parking or garage space.

Those original Colonial streets don't allow for much parking :)

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:44 am

mellytu74 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
clem21 wrote: The former, although there are also people who pay yearly as well as own their own spaces
I've seen ads for sections of Center City Philadelphia for parking or garage space.

Those original Colonial streets don't allow for much parking :)
Yep, I rented one and hardly ever moved my Bronco in the eight months I was there!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

slam

#8 Post by slam » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:48 am

Although she's probably referring to renting a spot on a monthly basis, there are some garages in NYC which literally allow you to buy one. You then own the rights to it but still pay a monthly maintenance fee (lower than a monthly rent, though). Essentially, it's analagous to buying a condominium.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#9 Post by sunflower » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Well, I'm guessing with $1,000 she won't get very far...after taxes maybe she can afford a month or two?

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Don't they have Moors in Scotland? :P

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:09 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Don't they have Moors in Scotland? :P
Not sure. They might have been Moops.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Seeing as how Oklahoma City had the first parking meter I'm a bit surprised parking is not a bigger issue. Norman must be an even better place to park, about the only place in S.C. that you hear about folks buying parking places rather than leasing them is around the Gamecock Football Stadium, and its pretty big business there. These are dedicated parking lots not street parking.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:36 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Seeing as how Oklahoma City had the first parking meter I'm a bit surprised parking is not a bigger issue.
I'm sure the only folks who appreciated that first parking meter were the OKC officials who collected the revenue.

"Hey, Harv, this is a great idea. We put these little machines on the street curbs, and we can tax those fat cats with cars by the minute!"

Okay, I exaggerate. The official story is that somebody in the 1935 Chamber of Commerce figured out that making folks pay for parking by the hour would cut down on the number of employee cars parked on the streets all day long, freeing up spots for prospective shoppers.

Still, I didn't get the impression that the contestant was referring to metered parking, but more the "condo" plan that others have described.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 6/13/2008 - Laury Cuddihy (carryover contesta

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 am

Nihil obstat®

earendel

Re: Transcript 6/13/2008 - Laury Cuddihy (carryover contesta

#15 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Laury Cuddihy
New York City, NY
Doctor

At work Laury is known as "Dr. Cuddihy" but her neighbors know her as "The lady who sleeps in her car". When she's on call all night she doesn't get home until 9 or 10, which is prime alternate-side-of-the-street parking and she can't find a place to park near her house. So she parks and waits, but she's so tired that she goes to sleep. Meredith says her neighbors don't know she's a doctor - they must think she's a bum. If Laury wins the million dollars she's going to buy herself a parking spot - that's all she cares about.
So what's the going rate for parking space in NYC?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2K - Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is located where?

A - St. Augustine, FL
B - Charleston, SC
C - Savannah, GA
D - Mobile, AL

Laury has absolutely no idea so she wants to ask the very smart audience.

ATA results:
A - 91%
B - 1%
C - 6%
D - 2%

Laury goes with the audience's answer.
History and geography would have helped Laury with this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Because it's considered bad luck to speak it's name, what Shakespeare tragedy is also referred to as "the Scottish play"?

A - Othello
B - King Lear
C - Macbeth
D - Hamlet

Laury doesn't want to guess so she asks to call Roy Krauss, "one of our great family friends". Laury reads the question and Roy asks for a repeat. He doesn't know so he'll have to guess and with 4 seconds left he guesses "Othello". Laury said she was thinking this also. She's scared but she's going to go with that answer. Laury exits the Hot Seat with $1K.
<sigh> I was really hoping she'd do well.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:53 am

silvercamaro wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Seeing as how Oklahoma City had the first parking meter I'm a bit surprised parking is not a bigger issue.
I'm sure the only folks who appreciated that first parking meter were the OKC officials who collected the revenue.

"Hey, Harv, this is a great idea. We put these little machines on the street curbs, and we can tax those fat cats with cars by the minute!"

Okay, I exaggerate. The official story is that somebody in the 1935 Chamber of Commerce figured out that making folks pay for parking by the hour would cut down on the number of employee cars parked on the streets all day long, freeing up spots for prospective shoppers.

Still, I didn't get the impression that the contestant was referring to metered parking, but more the "condo" plan that others have described.
And, of course, it's illegal to tie one's horse to a parking meter (or it used to be when I lived in OK).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

slam

#17 Post by slam » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am

Macbeth was mentioned at least twice on last night's Tony's: once for Patrick Stewart's nomination and once for something else that I can't remember. The first presenter referred to it as The Scottish Play while the second referred to it as Macbeth.