Transcript 06/16/08 Arthur Blakely

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/16/08 Arthur Blakely

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Arthur Blakely
Chicago, IL
Police officer

$100 To the delight of dessert lovers, the Girl Scouts of America have raised money for more than eighty years by doing what?
A. Selling cookies
B. Washing cars
C. Raking leaves
D. Robbing banks

$200 Which of these wars features a Roman numeral in its name?
A. War of 1812
B. Thirty Years’ War
C. World War II
D. Russo-Japanese War

$300 What historic figure is said to have drunk from a cup now known as the Holy Grail?
A. King Tut
B. Jesus Christ
C. George Washington
D. Genghis Khan

$500 The 2007 comedy “Who’s Your Caddy?” takes place primarily where?
A. Water park
B. Prison
C. Country club
D. Ski resort

$1K Which of these Muppets almost always refers to himself in the third person?
A. Oscar the Grouch
B. Grover
C. Big Bird
D. Elmo

ATA

18% A. Oscar the Grouch
20% B. Grover
3% C. Big Bird
59% D. Elmo

commercial break

$2K In the U.S., a haberdashery is a store that specializes in selling what?
A. Menswear
B. Paper goods
C. Cosmetics
D. Saddles and harnesses

$4K According to the lyrics of a 1964 song, the girl from Ipanema is “tall and tan and young and” what?
A. Dark-haired
B. Happy
C. Lovely
D. Single

$8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile

PAF – Heinz, a good friend of Arthur’s best friend.

Heinz asks Arthur to repeat the city. With four seconds left, he asks Arthur for the choices. Heinz doesn’t answer before time expires.

50/50 leaves C. Argentina and D. Chile.

Arthur makes C. Argentina his final answer.
Arthur leaves with $1K

commercial break

Answers:
$100 A. Selling cookies
$200 C. World War II
$300 B. Jesus Christ
$500 C. Country club
$1K D. Elmo
$2K A. Menswear
$4K C. Lovely
$8K D. Chile

slam

#2 Post by slam » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm

That PAF sounded like he had no clue that there was a time limit involved with the process.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 pm

slam wrote:That PAF sounded like he had no clue that there was a time limit involved with the process.
Probably not. That's why you have to practice!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/16/08 Arthur Blakely

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 am

$4K: ATA. I know the tune, but not the lyrics.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile

Heinz asks Arthur to repeat the city. With four seconds left, he asks Arthur for the choices. Heinz doesn’t answer before time expires.
I'm stealing a <grumble>® from Marley on this one. Did it not register in Heinz' brain that Arthur clearly told him that he had only 5 seconds left?

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Arthur Blakely
Chicago, IL
Police officer
He was a no-nonsense kind of guy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $1K Which of these Muppets almost always refers to himself in the third person?
A. Oscar the Grouch
B. Grover
C. Big Bird
D. Elmo

ATA

18% A. Oscar the Grouch
20% B. Grover
3% C. Big Bird
59% D. Elmo
Hmmm...no children or grandchildren, I guess.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2K In the U.S., a haberdashery is a store that specializes in selling what?
A. Menswear
B. Paper goods
C. Cosmetics
D. Saddles and harnesses
I thought a haberdasher sold hats, but turns out that's a millener
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile

I thought I could hear Heinz typing in the background; I guess he had a slow Internet connection.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: 50/50 leaves C. Argentina and D. Chile.

Arthur leaves with $1K
I guessed that the 50/50 would leave "C" and "D". A member of our church was a missionary in Chile for quite a while and lived in Punta Arenas.

It would have been nihil obstat® for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:37 am

yikers.

I had no clue where that city was. I dod know that Chile scoops below Argentina, so I woulda gone with Chile, even before the 50/50.

I would have held my breath, tho.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:43 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$4K: ATA. I know the tune, but not the lyrics.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile

I'm stealing a <grumble>® from Marley on this one. Did it not register in Heinz' brain that Arthur clearly told him that he had only 5 seconds left?
You can have one with my compliments! :wink:

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile
IIRC, they asked the same question about Ushuaia, Argentina, which is a bit further south than Punta Arenas. Neither place is particularly well-known, unless you've been reading about Antarctic cruise ships that leave from there.

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:52 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile
IIRC, they asked the same question about Ushuaia, Argentina, which is a bit further south than Punta Arenas. Neither place is particularly well-known, unless you've been reading about Antarctic cruise ships that leave from there.
I just looked it up - I did not know that part of Argentina was south of Chile. Those little buggers. Tierra Del Fuego.

tanstaafl2

#10 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Arthur Blakely
Chicago, IL
Police officer

$1K Which of these Muppets almost always refers to himself in the third person?
A. Oscar the Grouch
B. Grover
C. Big Bird
D. Elmo

ATA

18% A. Oscar the Grouch
20% B. Grover
3% C. Big Bird
59% D. Elmo

commercial break

$4K According to the lyrics of a 1964 song, the girl from Ipanema is “tall and tan and young and” what?
A. Dark-haired
B. Happy
C. Lovely
D. Single

$8K Punta Arenas, one of the southernmost cities in the world, is located in what country?
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile

50/50 leaves C. Argentina and D. Chile.

Arthur leaves with $1K

commercial break

Answers:
$100 A. Selling cookies
$200 C. World War II
$300 B. Jesus Christ
$500 C. Country club
$1K D. Elmo
$2K A. Menswear
$4K C. Lovely
$8K D. Chile
Would have also been stumped at 1K with the Sesame Street Q. No kids so I don't pay much attention to it.

Not real confident at 4K either so not a great start for me.

But at least I wasn't the geo nitwit these two appeared to be. Even it I wasn't sure, thanks in part to loyal viewership of the Amazing Race, I would have had the good sense to make sure I had a PAF with a map handy or would have one myself if I were the PAF. Punta Arenas is clearly marked on the basic world map hanging here in my office. Many questions that have cost players their run that could have been answered quickly by simply looking at a reasonably decent map. and yet PAF's blow them time and time again.

Unfortunately that has long ago quit being surprising.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:But at least I wasn't the geo nitwit these two appeared to be. Even it I wasn't sure, thanks in part to loyal viewership of the Amazing Race, I would have had the good sense to make sure I had a PAF with a map handy or would have one myself if I were the PAF. Punta Arenas is clearly marked on the basic world map hanging here in my office. Many questions that have cost players their run that could have been answered quickly by simply looking at a reasonably decent map. and yet PAF's blow them time and time again.
Would you want your PAF searching for a non-specific spot on the map in his 30 seconds? If he has the sense to concentrate on the southern tip of South America, it might work out, but a Google Search for "Punta Arenas" is much faster.

Now, if the question specifies a location, like "Which of these countries is crossed by the Tropic of Capricorn?", then a map would be useful.

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
A. Paraguay
B. Uruguay
C. Argentina
D. Chile
I just looked it up - I did not know that part of Argentina was south of Chile. Those little buggers. Tierra Del Fuego.
Punta Arenas, Chile is the southernmost city of consequence on the South American mainland. The island of Tierra del Fuego is indeed split between Chile and Argentina with Ushuaia, Argentina on the southern edge of Tierra del Fuego making it perhaps the southernmost settlement of consequence in the world. But there are additional smaller islands south of Tierra Del Fuego that are part of Chile, making Chile the southernmost country of South America. And the world as well I suppose.

Indeed, for the geographically inclined, the border between Chile and Argentina at the southern tip is an odd one and most people don't realize that the Straits of Magellan are entirely in Chile and that as a result a small strip of Chile extends essentially all the way to the Atlantic side north of the straits at Punta Dungenes, dividing the Argentine mainland from the Argentine portion of Tierra del Fuego.

In fact, according to wiki (an ever reliable source...) Chile took control of it in the 1840's in an expedition promoted by the Chilean liberator, Bernardo O'Higgins (I just love that name. Reminds me of one of the cheesy illegitimate brothers of Higgins on Magnum!), that staked Chiles claim to the straits to keep the British and French out.

Straits of Magellan

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#13 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:38 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:But at least I wasn't the geo nitwit these two appeared to be. Even it I wasn't sure, thanks in part to loyal viewership of the Amazing Race, I would have had the good sense to make sure I had a PAF with a map handy or would have one myself if I were the PAF. Punta Arenas is clearly marked on the basic world map hanging here in my office. Many questions that have cost players their run that could have been answered quickly by simply looking at a reasonably decent map. and yet PAF's blow them time and time again.
Would you want your PAF searching for a non-specific spot on the map in his 30 seconds? If he has the sense to concentrate on the southern tip of South America, it might work out, but a Google Search for "Punta Arenas" is much faster.

Now, if the question specifies a location, like "Which of these countries is crossed by the Tropic of Capricorn?", then a map would be useful.
No, I would prefer a google search as well. In this case as you note if the PAF didn't even know where to start looking a map might not be helpful in time.

But in this case my own basic map of the world has Puenta Arenas clearly marked on it and had I been the PAF I would have known to immediately look at the southern tip of South America to see if it was in Chile or Argentina as I knew it was one or the other and could have done so easily in less than 20 seconds.

Of course I already knew which one was correct so I wouldn't have needed to look at all!
:wink:

But there have been a number of questions that could be answered with a decent map if for some odd reason google were not available. Of course it presupposes that the PAF has a basic knowledge of geography to begin with.

That seems to be asking a lot for many of them...
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2