Transcript 06/17/2008 Artelia Ellis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/17/2008 Artelia Ellis

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Artelia Ellis
Concord, NH

Freelance editor

Her dad is in the audience, her NY trip was a chance for them to spend some time together.

Her first name is passed on to each oldest daughter, but they have no idea where it began or what it means.

$100- An old adage claims, "There's no such thing as a free" what?
A. Breakfast B. Lunch
C. Snack D. Nintendo Wii

$200- Because they are marked with white stripes, pedestrian crosswalks in Britain are often referred to as what?
A. Giraffe crossings B. Rhino crossings
C. Antelope crossings D. Zebra crossings

$300- Hygiene concerns prompted a 19th-century doctor to create a collapsible tube container for what household staple?
A. Dental floss B. Toothpaste
C. Laundry detergent D. Aftershave

$500- Which of these punctuation marks represents the word that is spelled out in the last three letters of its name?
A. Hyphen B. Ampersand
C. Parenthesis D. Question mark

$1000- A legendary possession belonging to King Arthur, Excalibur is a what?
A. Cloak B. Ring
C. Sword D. Throne

Commercial break

$2000- "The Way We Were" and "You've Got A Friend" are two songs on Barry Manilow's 2007 album "The Greatest Songs Of" what?
A. The Fifties B. The Sixties
C. The Seventies D. The Eighties

ATA A-2% B-18% C-73% D-7%

$4000- What religious sect congregates in buildings called "Kingdom Halls"?
A. Jehovah's Witnesses B. Christian Scientists
C. Seventh Day Adventists D. Mormons

50/50 left A & D

$8000- "Chignon" is a fancy word for what type of hairstyle?
A. Ponytail B. Bun
C. Perm D. French braid

$16,000
A plane traveling east from Mali to Bali will fly over what body of water for the majority of the trip?
A. Atlantic Ocean B. Mediterranean Sea
C. Pacific Ocean D. Indian Ocean

PAF Linda, mom, runs out of time before coming up with an answer.

Artelia guesses correctly.

Commercial break

Artelia is broke and borrowed from her 92-year old grandparents to come to NY. She had to get them a TV to watch the show since they had none.

$25,000
The classic TV series "The Addams Family" was based on a series of cartoons originally published in what magazine?
A. Life B. Vanity Fair
C. The New Yorker D. Saturday Evening Post

She is a big fan of the show.

$50,000
The White House uses which of these ZIP codes?
A. 20500 B. 22030
C. 24001 D. 21077

She used to live in DC.

$100,000
Excluding honorary awards, which of these computer industry tycoons is the only one to have earned a college degree?
A. Paul Allen B. Steve Jobs
C. Michael Dell D. Steve Wozniak

Artelia starts to give the "I'm walking away" speech then Mere stops her reminds her she still has a switch-the-question

Commercial Break

STQ $100K
The largest nesting areas in the world for loggerhead sea turtles are the Southeast United States and what country?
A. Sri Lanka B. Oman
C. Barbados D. Vietnam

Artelia does the "I'm walking away" speech again and leaves with $50,000. She would have guessed C.

No carryover

Answers:
$100- B. Lunch
$200- D. Zebra crossings
$300- B. Toothpaste
$500- B. Ampersand
$1000- C. Sword
$2000- C. The Seventies
$4000- A. Jehovah's Witnesses
$8000- B. Bun
$16K- D. Indian Ocean
$25K- C. The New Yorker
$50K- A. 20500
$100K- D. Steve Wozniak
STQ $100K- B. Oman

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/17/2008 Artelia Ellis

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 am

$4K: I am none of these four religions, so I would try the audience.

$8K: Here goes the PAF.

$50K: The ZIP Code prefixes of 22xxx, 23xxx, and 24xxx all belong to Virginia, so that eliminates B and C. 20500 looked more like the right answer than 21077, so I would've said A.

$100K: Nope. Switch it.

$100K #2: I would've been gone with $25,000 here. I thought for sure that Oman was wrong. I would've used 50:50 and taken whichever answer wasn't Oman.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Artelia Ellis
Concord, NH

Freelance editor

Her dad is in the audience, her NY trip was a chance for them to spend some time together.
And mom is the PAF.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Her first name is passed on to each oldest daughter, but they have no idea where it began or what it means.
There doesn't seem to be any information online about it, either.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000- "The Way We Were" and "You've Got A Friend" are two songs on Barry Manilow's 2007 album "The Greatest Songs Of" what?
A. The Fifties B. The Sixties
C. The Seventies D. The Eighties

ATA A-2% B-18% C-73% D-7%
elwing commented on how difficult it was to pinpoint Artelia's age - at times she looked like a 20-something, other times older. I figured she was in her 30s, meaning that the 70s would have been too early for her to remember.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- "Chignon" is a fancy word for what type of hairstyle?
A. Ponytail B. Bun
C. Perm D. French braid
Time for me to ATA - the only one I was sure it wasn't was "C". I've seen the word and knew it referred to having one's hair bound up in some fashion.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
A plane traveling east from Mali to Bali will fly over what body of water for the majority of the trip?

Was it just I or did it sound as if Artelia said "Maui" rather than "Mali"? Maybe she was just pronouncing it with a short "a" rather than a long "a" but it may have confused her mother.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Artelia guesses correctly.
I thought she'd walk away - good for her in taking the risk and getting it right.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
The classic TV series "The Addams Family" was based on a series of cartoons originally published in what magazine?
A. Life B. Vanity Fair
C. The New Yorker D. Saturday Evening Post

She is a big fan of the show.
I was wondering if "Esquire" might come up as a distractor.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
The White House uses which of these ZIP codes?
A. 20500 B. 22030
C. 24001 D. 21077

She used to live in DC.
As many times as I've seen DC ZIP codes on letterhead stationery, I knew it would start with "20".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
Excluding honorary awards, which of these computer industry tycoons is the only one to have earned a college degree?
A. Paul Allen B. Steve Jobs
C. Michael Dell D. Steve Wozniak

Artelia starts to give the "I'm walking away" speech then Mere stops her reminds her she still has a switch-the-question
A great question for us geeks.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ $100K
The largest nesting areas in the world for loggerhead sea turtles are the Southeast United States and what country?
A. Sri Lanka B. Oman
C. Barbados D. Vietnam

Artelia does the "I'm walking away" speech again and leaves with $50,000. She would have guessed C.
Had I seen this question I'd have used a lifeline also. On the face of it, "C" seems like the obvious answer since it's the closest to the SE U.S. Fortunately I wouldn't have seen this question.

Artelia did very well.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 am

earendel wrote:

Was it just I or did it sound as if Artelia said "Maui" rather than "Mali"? Maybe she was just pronouncing it with a short "a" rather than a long "a" but it may have confused her mother.
I thought she pronounced them both with the long "a" and then repeated them with the short "a".

And I was hoping, during her deliberations, that she'd say something that indicated she knew where Mali and Bali were! Knowing that is an essential part of getting the answer.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:26 am

Here's an article about Artelia's appearance.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs ... /806180390
Free to talk yesterday, Ellis said she has no extravagant plans for her thousands. "Debt payment, a little bit of security," she said. "I'm not going wild with the money. I'm not buying 15 Prada handbags."
No handbags?

What about shoes? Some people would be very interested in shoes! :)

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:02 am

Well, as previously noted, I probably would have gotten the first question right.

Stumped at 8K but didn't need any lifelines up to that point so hopefully the ATA would get me past.

No problems at 16K and 25K but not sure about 50K so maybe google PAF and hope for the best. First link for "white house zip code" has the answer. Probably also STQ at 100K but not sure the remaining 50/50 would help much on the other 100K.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 am

earendel wrote:

Where in the world would Carmen San Diego put a long "a" in any of these names?