Transcript 6/18/2008 Yvonne Latimer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/18/2008 Yvonne Latimer

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:26 am

Transcript 6/18/2008
Yvonne Latimer
Gainesville, Florida

$100
Ironic in light of its untimely demise, which of the following was once thought to be
"unsinkable"?

A: Orient Express
B: Ford Model T
C: Titanic
D: New York Yankees

$200
The Broadway play "Frost/Nixon" chronicles a historic series of interviews
between David Frost and whom?

A: A retired military officer
B: Former U.S. President
C: Oscar-winning actor
D: A professional athletic

$300
The Hotlanta Squares is a square-dancing club in the capital city of what U.S. state?

A: Colorado
B: Ohio
C: Georgia
D: New York

$500
In real estate listings the common acronym "FSBO" means "for sale" what?

A: Best occupant
B: Bring offer
C: Business office
D: By owner

$1000
Which of these movies is set during the same time period as Homer's literary classic
"The Iliad"?

A: Chicago
B: Troy
C: Amadeus
D: Platoon

Commercial break

Yvonne just moved to Gainesville, Florida from New Jersey. She is a family practice doctor &
just got a job as the medical director of the county jail. Her husband just finished his residency
and she says they have a lot of medical school loans to pay back and are the poorest doctors around town.

$2000
The popular breakfast cereal Grape-Nuts is made from what two grains?

A: Wheat & Barley
B: Rice & Oats
C: Corn & Flaxseed
D: Rye & Buckwheat

Yvonne decides to ask the audience.
ATA:

A: 78%
B: 6%
C: 4%
D: 12%

$4000
At the 2007 Emmys, fans of "The Sopranos" were shocked when James Gandolfini was beat
out by whom?

A: Denis Leary
B: Hugh Lavin
C: Kiefer Sutherland
D: James Spader
Commercial Break

$8000
"Why is this night different from all other nights" is traditionally asked when
observing the first night of what religious period?

A: Ramadan
B: Kwanzaa
C: Passover
D: Lent

Yvonne calls her sister Yolanda. Yolanda asks her to repeat the choices again.
With 2 seconds left, Yolanda says she would guess Passover but doesn't sound very confident.

Yvonne decides to use the 50/50.

50/50 leaves:

Yvonne says if this is Kwanzaa, she's in trouble. She was raised in the Baptist
church in the south. Her sister said Passover, so she can blame it on her big
sister if she gets it wrong.

Time runs out and Yvonne will return tomorrow.

Answers:

$100 C - Titanic
$200 B - Former U.S. President
$300 C - Georgia
$500 D - By owner
$1000 B - Troy
$2000 A - Wheat & barley
$4000 D - James Spader
$8000 C - Passover

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Given that Kwanzaa was only created in the late 60s, unless her parents were in on it from the beginning, she could not have grown up with it. So there is nothing to be embarrassed about. But it was funny when she said that!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 6/18/2008 Yvonne Latimer

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:18 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300
The Hotlanta Squares is a square-dancing club in the capital city of what U.S. state?

A: Colorado
B: Ohio
C: Georgia
D: New York
Somehow, square dancing and the hip-hop nickname of Hotlanta don't go together.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Yvonne just moved to Gainesville, Florida from New Jersey.
So she's a former WE®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000
At the 2007 Emmys, fans of "The Sopranos" were shocked when James Gandolfini was beat
out by whom?

And who could ever forget my post on TUB® that began "James Spader?! WTF!"

$8K: I know it's not Kwanzaa, but that's as far as I can go. ATA.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript 6/18/2008
Yvonne Latimer
Gainesville, Florida
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Yvonne just moved to Gainesville, Florida from New Jersey. She is a family practice doctor & just got a job as the medical director of the county jail. Her husband just finished his residency
and she says they have a lot of medical school loans to pay back and are the poorest doctors around town.
Working for the county isn't going to help that much.
At the 2007 Emmys, fans of "The Sopranos" were shocked when James Gandolfini was beat out by whom?

No idea, so time to ATA and hope they do.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000
"Why is this night different from all other nights" is traditionally asked when observing the first night of what religious period?

A: Ramadan
D: Lent

Yvonne calls her sister Yolanda. Yolanda asks her to repeat the choices again. With 2 seconds left, Yolanda says she would guess Passover but doesn't sound very confident.

Yvonne decides to use the 50/50.

50/50 leaves:

Yvonne says if this is Kwanzaa, she's in trouble. She was raised in the Baptist church in the south. Her sister said Passover, so she can blame it on her big sister if she gets it wrong.
Just for the benefit of those who didn't actually see the show, Yvonne is African-American, so that explains her comment abut being in trouble if the answer was Kwanzaa.

She's out of lifelines - but I think she'll make it to the $25K level.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:42 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000

ATA:

So it's not made of grapes and nuts? :P

This one was pretty tricky for $2K, particularly since Rice & Oats are very common breakfast cereal ingredients. I'm trying to remember those commercials with Euell Gibbons, "Ever eat a pine tree?" Did those ever mention the real ingredients in GrapeNuts?

out by whom?

And I forgot all about this, so I'd need the ATA here...assuming didn't already use it to confirm my not-too-certain hunch on the GrapeNuts question.

NellyLunatic1980

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 am

MarleysGh0st wrote: I'm trying to remember those commercials with Euell Gibbons, "Ever eat a pine tree?" Did those ever mention the real ingredients in GrapeNuts?
I heard that Euell Gibbons was so natural that, for years, Post has added remains of Euell Gibbons to every box of Grape-Nuts. :D

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000

ATA:

So it's not made of grapes and nuts? :P

This one was pretty tricky for $2K, particularly since Rice & Oats are very common breakfast cereal ingredients. I'm trying to remember those commercials with Euell Gibbons, "Ever eat a pine tree?" Did those ever mention the real ingredients in GrapeNuts?'
In at least one commercial he did - I Googled "wild hickory nuts" and got this link to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJMIu18I8Y

He says that Grape-Nuts are "a wholesome mix of wheat and barley".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Kazoo65

#8 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 am

$4K-ATA. I didn't pay any attention to the Emmys.

$8K-I knew this one cold, thanks to all those religion classes I took in school-my junior year of high school I took a course in world religions,, and Judaism was one we studied.

So I'd be going for $16K with 2 lifelines.
I'm just a game show nerd.

slam

#9 Post by slam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:35 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote: $8K: I know it's not Kwanzaa, but that's as far as I can go. ATA.
If you're Jewish, this is a gimmee. At the Passover Seder, the youngest child who is able recites "The Four Questions". Each of the questions begins with those words before diverging. I probably would have shown off a little bit for Meredith by giving the Hebrew translation of those words.

If you're not Jewish, I can easily see how this question would be on the difficult side for you.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:57 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Somehow, square dancing and the hip-hop nickname of Hotlanta don't go together.
Hip-hop may have borrowed the "Hotlanta" nickname, but it has certainly been around much longer than hip-hop. The Allman Brothers Band had a song called "Hotlanta" in 1971. It may even go back decades or centuries before that.

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 am

Estonut wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Somehow, square dancing and the hip-hop nickname of Hotlanta don't go together.
Hip-hop may have borrowed the "Hotlanta" nickname, but it has certainly been around much longer than hip-hop. The Allman Brothers Band had a song called "Hotlanta" in 1971. It may even go back decades or centuries before that.
Decades maybe, but centuries? Umm, probably not! What is now Atlanta did not really exist until the 1830's when it was the eastern terminus of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and known creatively enough as "Terminus". It was renamed "Marthasville" in 1842 (After the daughter of then Governor William Lumpkin, see the comment about what we could have been saddled with in the link below. I also learned for the first time that the War of Northern Aggression had not been Sherman's first visit to the area!) but quickly went through several name changes. In around 1844-45 the name "Atlantica-Pacifica" was suggested but was quickly shortened to "Atlanta", became popular with residents, and became the official name.

Atlanta history

Interestingly there was a recent article in the local paper discussing the nickname "Hotlanta" that suggests it may have originated from local DJ's in the 60's (which may help explain the noted Allman Brothers album title) but the definitive origins seem to be unknown.

"Hotlanta"

I concur with the use of the term "Hotlanta" described in the article having grown up here since I six. It is generally what a recently transplanted resident or visitor might say but not a term typically used by true "locals".
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh