Transcript 10/30/2007 Pete Kane

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/30/2007 Pete Kane

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:57 pm

Pete Kane
Brooklyn, NY
Communications assistant

His mom is in the studio audience wearing a T-shirt with his face on the front and "PETE wants to be a millionaire" on the back.

ATA was used

$16,000
Which of these classic works of literature is typically categorized as a short story and not a novel?
A. The Sound and the Fury B. The Power and the Glory
C. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe D. The Pit and the Pendulum

$25,000
In 2007, what TV funnyman was honored with his own flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream called AmeriCone Dream?
A. Stephen Colbert B. Jay Leno
C. David Letterman D. Jon Stewart

$50,000
According to the Jewelers of America, which of these birthstones are in correct calendar-year order based on the months they represent?
A. Sapphire, diamond, ruby B. Emerald, ruby, diamond
C. Ruby, diamond, sapphire D. Diamond, emerald, ruby

Pete knows the ruby is July (his mother wears a ring for his brother's birthday in July as well as his). However, he did not know the others and would have guessed A.

STQ: $50,000
Although its subject is the Carribean, the Beach Boys song "Kokomo" shares its name with a city in what U.S. state?
A. Michigan B. Indiana
C. Minnesota D. Wisconsin

$100,000
The first X-ray photograph taken of the human body was an image of the hand of what scientist's wife?
A. Enrico Fermi B. Hans Geiger
C. Wilhelm Roentgen D. Nils Bohr

PAF co-worker Ari, asks for repeat of choices but has no answer (begins to say I think the an..." as the buzzer sounds)

50/50
B. Hans Geiger
C. Wilhelm Roentgen

Pete asks Meredith for a hug, gets one, was first inclined to guess, but then walks with $50K. He then finds out his guess would have been the wrong one.

Answers
$16K- D. The Pit and the Pendulum
$25K- A. Stephen Colbert
$50K- D. Diamond, emerald, ruby
STQ $50K- B. Indiana
$100K- C. Wilhelm Roentgen

Commercial break

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:56 am

$50K: I know emerald is May (my birthstone) and ruby is July, but the other birthstone months did not come to me. Good idea to STQ.

$50K #2: This is a $50K question?! More like an $8K question.

$100K: Roentgen seemed way too obvious for a $100K question. I'm shocked that it actually turned out to be the right answer. I would've taken the 50:50, said Geiger, and crashed.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/30/2007 Pete Kane

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Pete Kane
Brooklyn, NY
Communications assistant
They said he works for the NY Civil Liberties Union, so he's not a What Else.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:37 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100,000
The first X-ray photograph taken of the human body was an image of the hand of what scientist's wife?

PAF co-worker Ari, asks for repeat of choices but has no answer (begins to say I think the an..." as the buzzer sounds)
<sigh>

Thirty seconds is a short time.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:43 am

I often wonder if people didn't practice or if they did and then when it is the real thing, everything just falls apart.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:03 am

$50,000
According to the Jewelers of America, which of these birthstones are in correct calendar-year order based on the months they represent?
We memorized these as a family when we used to go do Play It, because this type of question would pop up a lot.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#7 Post by Odyssey » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:58 am

I knew the birthstones, but had no idea what state Kokomo was in. All depends on what you're familiar with.
Odyssey

TheCalvinator24

#8 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 am

I know Ruby is July (wife), Emerald is May (sister), and Sapphire is September (former girlfriend), so if my brain would have engaged, I should have been able to figure that one out. If I locked up, I would have then seen what may very well be the easiest (for me) STQ I've ever seen.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Pete Kane
Brooklyn, NY
Communications assistant

His mom is in the studio audience wearing a T-shirt with his face on the front and "PETE wants to be a millionaire" on the back.
Cute shirt.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000
In 2007, what TV funnyman was honored with his own flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream called AmeriCone Dream?
A. Stephen Colbert B. Jay Leno
C. David Letterman D. Jon Stewart
I'd have been torn between Colbert and Stewart, and I suspect the 50/50 might have left those two behind. So it's time to ATA since I still have it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Diamond is April, emerald is May, ruby is July, sapphire is September, so that makes the answer obvious. My birthstone is ruby, my brother's is sapphire and my second son's is emerald.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:STQ: $50,000
Although its subject is the Carribean, the Beach Boys song "Kokomo" shares its name with a city in what U.S. state?
A. Michigan B. Indiana
C. Minnesota D. Wisconsin
Too bad this wasn't the regular question - I used to drive through Kokomi, IN, every weekend on my way to Michigan when I was in the seminary. I preached at a church in Belding, MI, every Sunday and a group of us who had small churches scattered throughout the area drove up on Friday evenings and back on Sunday evenings.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000
This seems like an unusually easy question for this dollar level (yes, I know they're only easy if you know them). For a while there was talk of calling X-rays "Roentgen rays" after their discoverer. "Geiger" is a good distractor since the term "Geiger counter" is associated with radiation.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Kazoo65

Re: 10/30/07 transcript Pete Kane

#10 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:28 pm

I couldn't believe how easy his high level questions were! I knew both $50K questions and the $100K question! I was screaming "C" at my TV when the $100K came up. I guess he didn't know who invented X rays!
I'm just a game show nerd.

Bob Juch

Re: 10/30/07 transcript Pete Kane

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Kazoo65 wrote:I couldn't believe how easy his high level questions were! I knew both $50K questions and the $100K question! I was screaming "C" at my TV when the $100K came up. I guess he didn't know who invented X rays!
Actually he invented a way to generate them; they occur naturally.

Nice of him to test his device on his wife, eh?