Transcript 06/24/2008 Laura Tickler

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/24/2008 Laura Tickler

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:21 pm

With guest host Leeza Gibbons

Laura Tickler
Scottsdale, AZ

First trip to NYC, told everyone she could (such as cab drivers and people in stores) that she would be on WWTBAM.
She likes her last name even though others misspell or mispronounce it.

$100- Two people who agree with each other are often said to do what?
A. See eye to eye B. Smell nose to nose
C. Taste tongue to tongue D. Pack the kids for camp

$200- Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow get buried in snow in a 1978 movie titled what?
A. Wildfire B. Hurricane
C. Avalanche D. Tornado

$300- In its logo, Maxwell House features what type of kitchenware?
A. Steak knife B. Wine glass
C. Coffee cup D. Salad fork

$500- What film icon is credited with inventing Jeet Kune Do, a unique style of martial-arts fighting?
A. Charlie Chaplin B. James Dean
C. Steve McQueen D. Bruce Lee

$1000-A popular attraction of the Galapagos Islands, "Lonesome George" may be the last remaining species of the "Pinta giant" what
A. Eel B. Tortoise
C. Armadillo D. Jellyfish

$2000- In the classic board game Stratego, a player is declared the winner when he captures his opponent's what?
A. Treasure B. Fortress
C. General D. Flag

She says she never played the game so she asks the audience

ATA
A-3% B-9%
C-7% D-81%

$4000- Held annually in New York City, "Night of a Thousand Stevies" is a fan festival honoring the former lead singer of what band?
A. Fleetwood Mac B. ABBA
C. Jefferson Airplane D. The Pretenders

She says she is nervous.

50/50 left A & B

$8000- New York City and Bangkok, Thailand are in standard time zones that are how many hours apart?
A. 9 B. 12
C. 15 D. 18

PAF Gary says his guess is 12.

However, Laura decides to walk with $4000.

Answers
$100- A. See eye to eye
$200- C. Avalanche
$300- C. Coffee cup
$500- D. Bruce Lee
$1000- B. Tortoise
$2000- D. Flag
$4000- A. Fleetwood Mac
$8000- B. 12

Commercial break

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#2 Post by ontellen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 pm

She inspires spasms of yawning.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 pm

That was a pretty tough 8K! It took me a while to see it in my head. At least they had three hour differences.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

slam

#4 Post by slam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:That was a pretty tough 8K! It took me a while to see it in my head. At least they had three hour differences.
Agreed that it was tough, but by visualizing the globe and knowing that 12 hours had to be half-way around it, I was able to do it. If the hour differences were smaller, I'm not sure if I would have been able to do that with sufficient confidence, however.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/24/2008 Laura Tickler

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:57 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Laura Tickler
Scottsdale, AZ
If she married somebody from France, then her husband would be a French Tickler. :P

Nihil obstat®

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 06/24/2008 Laura Tickler

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: However, Laura decides to walk with $4000.
<sigh>

megaaddict

#7 Post by megaaddict » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:23 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- New York City and Bangkok, Thailand are in standard time zones that are how many hours apart?
A. 9 B. 12
C. 15 D. 18
If one thinks in circles like I usually do, a 15 hour time difference between time zones in one direction is a 9 hour difference in the other direction. If I'm travelling 9 time zones west, I will move my hour hand nine hours backwards (on my dateless watch) and voila! I'll have the right time on my watch.

So in my time-warped mind, time zones that are 9 hours apart are also 15 hours apart and vice versa. And since I've never seen a BAM question with two right answers, I eliminate A and C right away. Interestingly, there is no time zone 18 hours ahead or behind New York. Since EST is Greenwich - 5, possible time zones range from 7 hours behind to 17 hours ahead. So from my wacky world view D is the only possible answer.

As to what zone Laura was in, I have no clue.

slam

#8 Post by slam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

megaaddict wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000- New York City and Bangkok, Thailand are in standard time zones that are how many hours apart?
A. 9 B. 12
C. 15 D. 18
If one thinks in circles like I usually do, a 15 hour time difference between time zones in one direction is a 9 hour difference in the other direction. If I'm travelling 9 time zones west, I will move my hour hand nine hours backwards (on my dateless watch) and voila! I'll have the right time on my watch.

So in my time-warped mind, time zones that are 9 hours apart are also 15 hours apart and vice versa. And since I've never seen a BAM question with two right answers, I eliminate A and C right away. Interestingly, there is no time zone 18 hours ahead or behind New York. Since EST is Greenwich - 5, possible time zones range from 7 hours behind to 17 hours ahead. So from my wacky world view D is the only possible answer.

As to what zone Laura was in, I have no clue.
Interesting reasoning, but I don't think it quite works because there's that pesky thing called the International Date Line which makes the 9 hour and 15 hour differentials actually different. On the other hand, the question writers, if they are on the ball, probably want to avoid any ambiguity at all. In that case, maybe your reasoning does provide some value in answering this question.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Have you ever checked to see where you'd end up if you went straight down through the center of the Earth and out to the other side? I'd end up off the west coast of Australia. If I could have remembered that Australia is south of Thailand I might have been able to get this.

Here's cool tool show what on the other side.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ojalesa/koe/opposite.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Have you ever checked to see where you'd end up if you went straight down through the center of the Earth and out to the other side? I'd end up off the west coast of Australia. If I could have remembered that Australia is south of Thailand I might have been able to get this.
That was exactly how I arrived at my answer! 8)

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:03 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Have you ever checked to see where you'd end up if you went straight down through the center of the Earth and out to the other side? I'd end up off the west coast of Australia. If I could have remembered that Australia is south of Thailand I might have been able to get this.

Here's cool tool show what on the other side.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ojalesa/koe/opposite.html
Cool indeed! The question would not have been a problem for me having been in Bangkok where I knew it was 12 hours difference to my home on east coast time. But this website is an interesting one.

I also agree that this cast member inspired spasms of yawning!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh