Transcript 06/24/2008 Joe Ross

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/24/2008 Joe Ross

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:23 pm

With guest host Leeza Gibbons

Joe Ross
Brooklyn, NY

Age 25, single and looking
Heard Leeza was single too, but his mom and dad (in the audience) are saying to stay away

If he wins enough he wants to donate to Alzheimer's research

$100- Often seen forecasting on the evening news, a meteorologist is informally known as a what?
A. Healthman B. Headlineman
C. Weatherman D. Liar liar pants on fire

$200- In Roget's thesaurus, Lees, Levi's, and Wranglers are all listed as synonyms for what word?
A. Sneakers B. Jeans
C. Earrings D. Eyeglasses

$300- "The Glass Slipper" is often included in the full title of what well-known fairy tale?
A. Cinderella B. Rapunzel
C. Three Little Pigs D. Hansel and Gretel

$500- Which of these magazine titles might you easily mistake for a noun referring to Mick Jagger?
A. GQ B. Rolling Stone
C. Spin D. Esquire

$1000- Often called "bow tie pasta," farfalle is named after the Italian word for what animal?
A. Snake B. Clam
C. Starfish D. Butterfly

$2000- What popular TV sitcom's opening sequence depicts the shows six main characters frolicking in a fountain?
A. Friends B. Everybody Loves Raymond
C. Seinfeld D. Roseanne

$4000- In college lingo, which of the following is often referred to as a "gut"?
A. Messy dorm room B. Wild party
C. Mean professor D. Easy class

ATA
A-22% B-28%
C-12% D-38%

50/50 left A & D

Commercial break

$8000- "Samba Girls Put Matildas Out" was a 2007 sports headline about what women's World Cup soccer match?
A. Argentina vs Germany B. Cuba vs Nigeria
C. Brazil vs. Australia D. Mexico vs Canada

$16,000
Pickett's Charge, a famous military maneuver often cited as the turning point of the Civil War, took place during what battle?
A. Shiloh B. Antietam
C. Vicksburg D. Gettysburg

Joe admits he is awful at history. PAF Ben has a masters in history. Ben thinks it is Gettysburg but is not sure (sound of googling was heard).

Joe guesses along with his PAF

Commercial break

$25,000
In the classic novel "Treasure Island," a ship called the Hispaniola sets sail to find the buried treasure of what fabled pirate?
A. Black Dog B. Captain Flint
C. Israel Hands D. Squire John Trelawnery

Joe says that Black Dog rings a bell, but he leaves with $16,000.

Answers
$100- C. Weatherman
$200- B. Jeans
$300- A. Cinderella
$500- B. Rolling Stone
$1000- D. Butterfly
$2000- A. Friends
$4000- D. Easy class
$8000- C. Brazil vs. Australia
$16K- D. Gettysburg
$25K- B. Captain Flint

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#2 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:32 pm

$4000- In college lingo, which of the following is often referred to as a "gut"?

ATA
A-22% B-28%
C-12% D-38%

I've always hear them referred to as "micks" as in a Mickey Mouse class.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

slam

#3 Post by slam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 am

ulysses5019 wrote:

ATA
A-22% B-28%
C-12% D-38%

This might have been a matter of a slang term that changes every handful of years or so. I must be exactly the right age range for this particular term as I had always heard them called "guts".

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:22 am

slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

ATA
A-22% B-28%
C-12% D-38%

This might have been a matter of a slang term that changes every handful of years or so. I must be exactly the right age range for this particular term as I had always heard them called "guts".

Ok. But have you ever heard the term Mickey Mouse? I'll ask some of the students around here about it.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:25 am

I've never heard of either term in this context. But I am outside the target group.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/24/2008 Joe Ross

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Joe Ross
Brooklyn, NY
WE®
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300- "The Glass Slipper" is often included in the full title of what well-known fairy tale?
A. Cinderella B. Rapunzel
C. Three Little Pigs D. Hansel and Gretel
It's only called a glass slipper cuz of some vague mistranslation from the original French story.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500- Which of these magazine titles might you easily mistake for a noun referring to Mick Jagger?
A. GQ B. Rolling Stone
C. Spin D. Esquire
E. AARP

$4K: I never heard of this slang word in college. I would also ATA. Even though only a plurality said D, I would've gone ahead with it anyway. This question was undervalued.

$16K: No clue. PAF.

$25K: Another undervalued WWOQ®. Even with the 50:50, I wouldn't touch this question. I'm walking with $16K as well.

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:19 am

One of those stacks where I truly don't know how I would react in the hot seat. I knew all of these, but the uncertainty level at the $16K and $25K might have made me burn lifelines and then kick myself when I really needed them later on.

The Gettysburg Q is one of the few Civil War questions where I might go for it without lifelines. And the right answer was the only one in the $25K choices that I had heard of. Would it have been associated enough with Treasure Island in my mind, or would I head for my PAF? No telling. So either a clean stack, or else one or zero lifelines left.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:If he wins enough he wants to donate to Alzheimer's research
How much is enough and how much would he donate?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Pickett's Charge, a famous military maneuver often cited as the turning point of the Civil War, took place during what battle?
A. Shiloh B. Antietam
A dream question for me! The Civil War became my first obsession, when my parents took us to Gettysburg shortly after the centennial of the battle.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 am

slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

ATA
A-22% B-28%
C-12% D-38%

I'm positively ancient. We called them "bunnies" (for baby rabbit).

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#10 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

I'm positively ancient. We called them "bunnies" (for baby rabbit).
I think that I'm more ancient but it may be a regional thing.

slam

#11 Post by slam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:07 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Ok. But have you ever heard the term Mickey Mouse? I'll ask some of the students around here about it.
I've heard of a "Mickey Mouse class" (as well as "Mickey Mouse" used to minimize other things), but I have never heard courses referred to as "micks".

kusch

#12 Post by kusch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 am

slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
slam wrote:

I've heard of a "Mickey Mouse class" (as well as "Mickey Mouse" used to minimize other things), but I have never heard courses referred to as "micks".

Put me in the neither camp. Never heard of "guts" or "micks". Best I can remember from the college days is we would say "basket weaving" and that would appy to any and all easy classes.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#13 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:14 am

kusch wrote:
slam wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Put me in the neither camp. Never heard of "guts" or "micks". Best I can remember from the college days is we would say "basket weaving" and that would appy to any and all easy classes.
And what's wrong with basket weaving? It's a rigorous test of dexterity and, um, um.........

summus123

#14 Post by summus123 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
kusch wrote:
slam wrote: I've heard of a "Mickey Mouse class" (as well as "Mickey Mouse" used to minimize other things), but I have never heard courses referred to as "micks".

And what's wrong with basket weaving? It's a rigorous test of dexterity and, um, um.........
Especially underwater basket weaving :lol:

summus123

#15 Post by summus123 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16,000
A. Shiloh B. Antietam
I remember that Pickett's Charge was part of Gettysburg from a James Bond movie, where Timothy Dalton was pointing out to Jon Don Baker that the charge was up Cemetary Ridge, not Little Round Top.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#16 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:58 am

I think all my kids took Organic Gardening...which comes close to a "Mick" or a "gut" class, neither of which I've ever heard about in these parts anyway.
At least it was a guaranteed "A" for them. :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:00 am

kayrharris wrote:I think all my kids took Organic Gardening...which comes close to a "Mick" or a "gut" class, neither of which I've ever heard about in these parts anyway.
Oh yeah. Non-organic gardening is the tough one.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#18 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:06 am

If they offered non-organic, I'm sure they would have registered. Although I'm sure organic just has to be more difficult. 8)

I'm into organic milk these days. It's amazing how much longer it will keep and I don't use a lot of it. I was throwing away more milk than I used until I made the switch. Price is about the same as well.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#19 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 am

kayrharris wrote:I think all my kids took Organic Gardening...which comes close to a "Mick" or a "gut" class, neither of which I've ever heard about in these parts anyway.
The course for which we still give my older son verbal abuse was called "The Films of Clint Eastwood." (This was long before Eastwood directed the more serious movies of recent years.)

We used all these terms and more.

Once Adventure Boy partied his way out of school, slept through the winter in a tent in the Tetons, and came back to the university, he never took any easy courses and made the Dean's List. The fact that he was paying most of his own tuition at that point made the difference.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#20 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:43 am

silvercamaro wrote:
The course for which we still give my older son verbal abuse was called "The Films of Clint Eastwood." (This was long before Eastwood directed the more serious movies of recent years.)

We used all these terms and more.

Once Adventure Boy partied his way out of school, slept through the winter in a tent in the Tetons, and came back to the university, he never took any easy courses and made the Dean's List. The fact that he was paying most of his own tuition at that point made the difference.
He's a shoo-in for Movie Week......rugged outdoor movie buff (more ways than one).