Transcript 6/25/2008 Alex Drake

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 6/25/2008 Alex Drake

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:46 am

Transcript June 24, 2008
Alex Drake
Charlotte, NC

History teacher. A colleague gave him the nickname "Drakey cakes".

$100
A famous wedding march by Richard Wagner is commonly known as "Here Comes the" what?

A: Minister
B: Groom
C: Bride
D: Ball & chain

$200
Extra innings is the equivalent of overtime in what sport?

A: Baseball
B: Tennis
C: Bowling
D: Volleyball

$300
"He floats through the air with the greatest of ease" is a line from a familiar song about what
type of circus performer?

A: Lion Tamer
B: Trapeze artist
C: Fire eater
D: Juggler

$500
Repeatedly heard in "The Star-Spangled Banner", the word "o're" is a contraction of what word?

A: Offer
B: Older
C: Over
D: Order

$1000
In 2007, a chat with Archbishop Desmond Tutu was "auctioned off" on Ebay to raise money for
kids' charities in what country?

A: Bangladesh
B: South Africa
C: Guatemala
D: The Philippines

$2000
Though often used generically, which of these terms for a writing implement is actually a brand
name trademarked in 1957?

A: Crayon
B: Magic Marker
C: Mechanical pencil
D: Ballpoint pen

ATA:
A: 23%
B: 59%
C: 4%
D: 14%

$4000
On the TV series "The Golden Girls", what character would often spin yarns of her years growing
up in St. Olaf, MN?

A: Rose
B: Dorothy
C: Sophia
D: Blanche

Alex calls his friend Eric, who is the quiz bowl coach of a team he competes with. Leeza says he
must respect him. Alex mentions Eric's team beats them all the time! Eric knows the answer
right away and tells him to "take the money to the bank" with his answer.

Commercial break
Leeza says Alex's students must be proud of him. He said his students & colleagues told him
to never come back if he didn't reach the $1000 level!

$8000
What European range inspired the name of a geological period that occurred more than 145
million years ago?

A: Rila Mountains
B: Pindus Mountains
C: Jura Mountains
D: Tatra Mountains

Alex uses the Jurrassic correlation to choose his answer.

$16000
Generally a prolix person does what excessively?

A: Speaks
B: Sleeps
C: Eats
D: Drinks

50/50:
A; Speaks

He says "no guts no glory..."C".....then he changes his mind. Alex mentions this is hard & he
thought he could do better than his. Leeza says she won't have him shame himself like that!
Alex decides to walk with $8000.

Answers:
$100 C - Bride
$200 A - Baseball
$300 B - Trapeze artist
$500 C - Over
$1000 B - South Africa
$2000 B - Magic Marker
$4000 A - Rose
$8000 C - Jura Mountains
$16000 A - Speaks

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 6/25/2008 Alex Drake

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 am

$16K: I'm leaning toward speaks, but I want to PAF.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 am

Code: Select all

History teacher. A colleague gave him the nickname "Drakey cakes". [quote]

Is this anything like Flaky Flix?[/quote]
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:24 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$16K: I'm leaning toward speaks, but I want to PAF.
I believe Mr. Wintergreen could have helped him here, if he had saved that lifeline and if WG could have squeezed an answer in under 30 seconds. Nobody knows prolix better that WG.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:32 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript June 24, 2008
Alex Drake
Charlotte, NC

History teacher.

$16000

50/50:
A; Speaks

He says "no guts no glory..."C".....then he changes his mind. Alex mentions this is hard & he
thought he could do better than his. Leeza says she won't have him shame himself like that!
So what questions does a history teacher get? Mostly pop culture and English definitions. Bad "luck of the stack". Too bad.

How old did this guy appear to be? I've known "prolix" since my high school days when we had vocabulary in English classes and analogies on the SAT's.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

slam

#6 Post by slam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 pm

The 16K was a tough question. I doubt that ATA would be particularly helpful on it. I was leaning toward the correct response but would not have felt very comfortable about it.

Needing to use a lifeline on the writing instrument question is simply ridiculous. Which one of the words in any of the responses sounds like it would be in a brand name and not in a generic name. "Magic", of course. You have to stop and think folks! (More of this theme in another of today's contestant's stacks).

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#7 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 pm

gsabc wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript June 24, 2008
Alex Drake
Charlotte, NC

History teacher.

$16000

50/50:
A; Speaks

So what questions does a history teacher get? Mostly pop culture and English definitions. Bad "luck of the stack". Too bad.

How old did this guy appear to be? I've known "prolix" since my high school days when we had vocabulary in English classes and analogies on the SAT's.
He appeared to be young----30 ish.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm not good at guessing ages, but I think he may still be in his twenties.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:16 pm

slam wrote:The 16K was a tough question. I doubt that ATA would be particularly helpful on it. I was leaning toward the correct response but would not have felt very comfortable about it.

Needing to use a lifeline on the writing instrument question is simply ridiculous. Which one of the words in any of the responses sounds like it would be in a brand name and not in a generic name. "Magic", of course. You have to stop and think folks! (More of this theme in another of today's contestant's stacks).
I guess I am an idiot then. I thought crayon was a good distractor. When I was little, my grandmother called them Crayolas but we called them crayons, which is the generically-used part of the trademarked name. But they are indeed older than 1957, which got me past my hesitation.

I just wanted to point out that Magic Marker is not a slam dunk for all of us, not without a pause, or in the contestant's case, some reassurance.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

KillerTomato

#10 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Ritterskoop wrote: I guess I am an idiot then. I thought crayon was a good distractor. When I was little, my grandmother called them Crayolas but we called them crayons, which is the generically-used part of the trademarked name. But they are indeed older than 1957, which got me past my hesitation.

I just wanted to point out that Magic Marker is not a slam dunk for all of us, not without a pause, or in the contestant's case, some reassurance.

I said the same thing when the question came up, but then I remembered that "Crayola" is trademarked, but I don't believe "crayon" is. It's French for pencil, isn't it? "Mon crayon est sur la table...."
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:16 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
I said the same thing when the question came up, but then I remembered that "Crayola" is trademarked, but I don't believe "crayon" is. It's French for pencil, isn't it? "Mon crayon est sur la table...."
Yep. But like Kleenex and Xerox, we use all these words interchangeably.

It was worth a pause.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:28 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
"Mon crayon est sur la table...."
It is not. You left it on the check-out counter at the bibliotheque!

KillerTomato

#13 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:31 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:

Hey, gimme a break. It's one of the few French sentences I know, other than that one from "Lady Marmalade" that starts "Voulez vous...", and one simply doesn't find that many occasions to use that in North America, outside of the Montreal red light district.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm

KillerTomato wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:

Hey, gimme a break. It's one of the few French sentences I know, other than that one from "Lady Marmalade" that starts "Voulez vous...", and one simply doesn't find that many occasions to use that in North America, outside of the Montreal red light district.
How close is Montreal to your home?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

slam

#15 Post by slam » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
slam wrote:The 16K was a tough question. I doubt that ATA would be particularly helpful on it. I was leaning toward the correct response but would not have felt very comfortable about it.

I guess I am an idiot then. I thought crayon was a good distractor. When I was little, my grandmother called them Crayolas but we called them crayons, which is the generically-used part of the trademarked name. But they are indeed older than 1957, which got me past my hesitation.

Pause, sure. I never suggested not to pause, just not to waste a lifeline. Upon first hearing the question, my initial reaction was WTF, how do I figure this out? I even briefly had the same thought you did, confusing crayon with the brand name Crayola. On J! with the necessary quick reaction, I could easily have gone wrong. But a little reflection got me to the right reasoning that the most likely word up there to be part of a trademarked name was indeed "magic". My point, which has been made here many times before by others, is that you just need to take your time, take a step back and try and reason it out when you have a seemingly perplexing clue at the mid-level. You won't always be able to deduce a correct answer, but many times you'll have a shot at it.

Along those lines, there might be some fairly common word with the same root as prolix which could lead to the correct response. I still don't know it, but someone else around here might be able to enlighten us.
Last edited by slam on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#16 Post by sunflower » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:38 pm

I never called them crayolas, so I guess to me it seems like a simple question. I see why others would struggle though, if you grew up calling them crayolas rather than crayons.

Ritterskoop

#17 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:41 pm

sunflower wrote:I never called them crayolas, so I guess to me it seems like a simple question. I see why others would struggle though, if you grew up calling them crayolas rather than crayons.
My grandmother also referred to a food item as oleo, which took me decades to figure out was oleomargarine. We just called it butter even though we knew it wasn't butter but margarine. But margarine sounds oily and ooky, and buttah sounds yum.
--------

Ritterskoop

#18 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:48 pm

KillerTomato wrote: It's French for pencil, isn't it? "Mon crayon est sur la table...."
Eddie Izzard's best DVD "Dress to Kill" has a marvelous sequence on this, on how he learned a few basic phrases about a mouse being on a table or chair, and how he had to truck around France with a mouse, a chair, and a table so that he could point to them and say what was going on.

I have the European version tape if anyone wants it - I paid $40 to have it converted to this region before they started doing that more cheaply.

"There's not much makeup in the army, is there? They only have that nighttime look, and that's a bit slapdash, isn't it?"
--------

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#19 Post by sunflower » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:52 pm

slam wrote:Along those lines, there might be some fairly common word with the same root as prolix which could lead to the correct response. I still don't know it, but someone else around here might be able to enlighten us.
I actually just knew what it meant. It was one of my SAT prep words. One of my friends and I put names to some of the adjectives (of people we knew) to help us remember what they meant. Prolix was one that we had associated with someone, lascivious was another. I'll tell you, it helped, and I still remember today!!

Ritterskoop

#20 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:03 pm

gsabc wrote:
I've never seen the word, though it seems like someone should have applied it to me at some point.

I just looked it up, and the helper is lix and liquid, having to do with flowing.
--------

KillerTomato

#21 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
KillerTomato wrote: It's French for pencil, isn't it? "Mon crayon est sur la table...."
Eddie Izzard's best DVD "Dress to Kill" has a marvelous sequence on this, on how he learned a few basic phrases about a mouse being on a table or chair, and how he had to truck around France with a mouse, a chair, and a table so that he could point to them and say what was going on.

I have the European version tape if anyone wants it - I paid $40 to have it converted to this region before they started doing that more cheaply.

"There's not much makeup in the army, is there? They only have that nighttime look, and that's a bit slapdash, isn't it?"
I remember an old Steve Martin routine where he's so excited to go to France, cuz he can finally use the only French he knows: "omelette du fromage". But when he was done with the waiter, he'd said, "Give me a shoe with cheese on it, force it down my throat, and I want to massage your grandmother!"
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16000

50/50:
A; Speaks

According to this article, Alex benefitted from the fourth (fifth?) lifeline on this question.
“I really am not sure at all,” Drake told Gibbons, his right hand grazing his chin. Suddenly, Drake lifted his frame from the hot seat, saying, “No guts, no glory - C) Eats.”

But he hesitated from saying “final answer.” That’s because he heard a few people in the audience gasp after he told Gibbons the wrong answer. Drake said the reaction, which could not be heard on Wednesday’s broadcast, prompted him to rethink his strategy.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#23 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 am

I even replayed it before I did the transcript to see if I could hear anything. He sure changed his mind in a hurry and it made me think that the audience may have reacted. (Did I mention the crappy reception I have on this particular channel??)

Of course, with just two choices, he could have changed it to the other one and had a bit more money!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#24 Post by sunflower » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 am

I did that during my episode. They tell you not to trust any audience reactions since you have no idea who knows what. But when I was sitting there, there was one I wasn't sure of. I said I think I'm going to go with x...then I paused. Meredith said "final answer?" and I just stared at her and ONE woman in the audience clapped and said "woooooo" and that put me over the edge to go with the answer. I have no idea who she was or anything. Not my smartest moment, but it worked out. They edited it all out but I can see where I went from confused to more confident by the look on my face.

Hotseat Or Bust!
Bored Hottie

#25 Post by Hotseat Or Bust! » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:07 am

kayrharris wrote:I'm not good at guessing ages, but I think he may still be in his twenties.
You're better than I am, he's actually only 25.