Transcript 06/26/08 - Janey Gubow

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/26/08 - Janey Gubow

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Guest Host: Leeza Gibbons

Janey Gubow
New York, NY

During the week, Janey wears a business suit and is usually behind the camera, instead of in front of it. On the weekends, she's a ski instructor. She started a ski program for women, to turn fear into fun.

$100
A woman who is making her "Broadway debut" is most likely doing what on Broadway for the first time?

A: Acting B: Sewing
C: Cooking D: Hosing you for 125 bucks

$200
Fine lines, dark circles and puffiness are pesky cosmetic problems that often occur where on the body?

A: Bottoms of the feet B: Around the eyes
C: Under the arms D: On the scalp

$300
To launch his own company in 1947, Italian entrepreneur Enzo Ferrari drew on his own experience competing in what sport?

A: Auto racing B: Boxing
C: Yachting D: Skiing

$500
Which of these college sports teams has a reptile as its mascot?

A: Georgetown Hoyas B: UCLA Bruins
C: Florida Gators D: Connecticut Huskies

$1,000
A "quad stretch" primarily limbers up what part of the body?

A: Neck B: Arms
C: Back D: Legs

-- Commercial Break --

$2,000
What actor directed the 2007 film "Gone Baby Gone," which stars his younger brother?

A: George Clooney B: Owne Wilson
C: Ben Affleck D: Ashton Kutcher

$4,000
Joan of Arc believed that God had chosen her to defend France from invaders from what country?

A: Austria B: England
C: Spain D: Italy

ATA: A: 6% B: 72% C: 19% D: 3%

That's the answer Janey was leaning towards.

$8,000
In the mid-80's what two pop bands enjoyed hit songs that were both named "Head Over Heels"?

A: The Police & Duran Duran B: Wham! & Culture Club
C: Tears For Fears & the Go-Gos D: Genesis & the Bangles

50/50 leaves B & C.

Leeza: Would it be a complete guess?

Janey: At this point, yes. The song isn't coming into my head, which is the problem. Okay, C, final answer.

$16,000
Prized for its succulent meat, the Blue Foot is a pricey California-bred variety of what animal?

A: Cow B: Pig
C: Turkey D: Chicken

PAF: Janey calls her sister, Mona. She gets part way into the queston when Mona interrupts.

Mona: Wa-wa-wait! I couldn't hear you!

Janey repeats the question and answers.

Mona: The prize for--

Janey: Blue foot! A pricey Califor--

Mona: Blue foot.

Janey: Seven seconds. Cow, pig--

Mona: A pricey cow?

Janey: Cow--

Mona: Picture?

Janey: Cow, pig, turkey, chicken.

[Time runs out.]

Leeza: I hate it when that happens!

Janey: Me, too. A lot of help she was! That family vacation is not happening!

Janey says B, pig, final answer.

Janey drops to $1,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$100: A: Acting
$200: B: Around the eyes
$300: A: Auto racing
$500: C: Florida Gators
$1,000: D: Legs
$2,000: C: Ben Affleck
$4,000: B: England
$8,000: C: Tears For Fears & the Go-Gos
$16,000: D: Chicken

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Was that the PAF call from hell? Mona immediately started yelling "I can't hear you" making her read the question all over again. Then Mona is yelling over Janey repeating words at random, causing nothing but mass confusion.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 06/26/08 - Janey Gubow

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Prized for its succulent meat, the Blue Foot is a pricey California-bred variety of what animal?

PAF: Janey calls her sister, Mona. She gets part way into the queston when Mona interrupts.

[Time runs out.]

Note to those who are reading the transcript without having seen the show: I'm afraid my transcription doesn't really do justice to this exchange, since it gives the impression that they were taking turns speaking. At the end of that disaster, Mona was blurting out her words simultaneously with Janey. :shock:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:40 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

[Time runs out.]

Note to those who are reading the transcript without having seen the show: I'm afraid my transcription doesn't really do justice to this exchange, since it gives the impression that they were taking turns speaking. At the end of that disaster, Mona was blurting out her words simultaneously with Janey. :shock:

Sounds just like my family.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#5 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

It sounded like a parody of a PAF call, as scripted by the writers of Saturday Night Live.

I hope that the contestant's local newspaper might bring us an explanation of whatever went so horribly wrong.
Sou iu koto de.

goongas

#6 Post by goongas » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:14 pm

Leeza is the first Millionaire host I recall that has given the dramatic pause when the contestant got the answer wrong, giving the contestant false hope, in my opinion.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#7 Post by clem21 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm

OK, yes the PAF was miserable but I don't see that as an excuse for throwing away 7,000, which is what she proceeded to do as she said she had no clue whatsoever and was completely guessing. I guess she can afford it.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 pm

clem21 wrote:OK, yes the PAF was miserable but I don't see that as an excuse for throwing away 7,000, which is what she proceeded to do as she said she had no clue whatsoever and was completely guessing. I guess she can afford it.
Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance. She was a local who had little expenses for either her audition or the show itself. She ended up with $1000. Yes, she lost 7k but she could have gained 8k. I agree that a one out of four chance aren't good odds but she had the fallback of the 1k.
I think most players here feel they can make it to 25k. But I'd be interested in hearing what they would do with all their lifelines gone in a similar situation.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#9 Post by sunflower » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Well I wouldn't have used my ATA or 50/50 where she used them, so I'd still have those at my disposal. I didn't know the answer to the one she got wrong but I certainly wouldn't guess if I had no idea and had a disaster for a PAF. There's a difference between a guess and an educated guess, and in my opinion, a pure guess is a gamble and not at all worth it. If you're not sure but can reasonably and sensibly narrow it down, it's a calculated risk and then worth it if you want to get to the next level.

TheConfessor

#10 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:57 pm

sunflower wrote:There's a difference between a guess and an educated guess, and in my opinion, a pure guess is a gamble and not at all worth it.
With that attitude, you'll never be selected for Deal Or No Deal.

slam

#11 Post by slam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

Despite the PAF disaster, this struck me as a fairly difficult stack. The Joan of Arc question for $4K seemed about 2 or 3 levels too low. A rather specific 80s music question for $8K also seemed brutal. I'm the right age to know that, but lots of people aren't. And that "Blue Foot" question for $16K seemed ridiculous to me. I had never heard of those. Is it just me, or does it seem that they've been sneaking some tougher questions into the mid-level clues the past few weeks? Maybe they're behind on their budget and need to trim down the winnings a bit?

Although the PAF interplay was a disaster, I doubt it mattered much. What chance is there that the PAF would have known that even if she heard all the correct information in a timely fashion?

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

slam wrote:Despite the PAF disaster, this struck me as a fairly difficult stack. The Joan of Arc question for $4K seemed about 2 or 3 levels too low. A rather specific 80s music question for $8K also seemed brutal. I'm the right age to know that, but lots of people aren't. And that "Blue Foot" question for $16K seemed ridiculous to me. I had never heard of those. Is it just me, or does it seem that they've been sneaking some tougher questions into the mid-level clues the past few weeks? Maybe they're behind on their budget and need to trim down the winnings a bit?

Although the PAF interplay was a disaster, I doubt it mattered much. What chance is there that the PAF would have known that even if she heard all the correct information in a timely fashion?
I'll agree with you on "Blue Foot", but Joan of Arc is basic history.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#13 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:06 am

If you Google "Blue Foot" the word chicken comes up right away. I doubt her PAF would have known it, but it could have been figured out if her PAF was ready to Google. It was hard to tell, but I think the PAF was trying to repeat the question to a room full of people.

The music question would have killed me as well. I wonder if the ATA would have known it? 50/50 would not have done me a bit of good on this type question. It did seem very hard for that level, but pop culture is definitely out of my wheel house.
Benjamin Franklin

slam

#14 Post by slam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
slam wrote:Despite the PAF disaster, this struck me as a fairly difficult stack. The Joan of Arc question for $4K seemed about 2 or 3 levels too low. A rather specific 80s music question for $8K also seemed brutal. I'm the right age to know that, but lots of people aren't. And that "Blue Foot" question for $16K seemed ridiculous to me. I had never heard of those. Is it just me, or does it seem that they've been sneaking some tougher questions into the mid-level clues the past few weeks? Maybe they're behind on their budget and need to trim down the winnings a bit?

I'll agree with you on "Blue Foot", but Joan of Arc is basic history.
I agree that Joan of Arc is basic history. But how much detail about her is? I'm not saying that knowing that England was France's opponent at the time is incredibly hard, just misplaced at this level. This might just be due to my personal reaction to the question. At this level, I expect to know the right answer immediately unless it's a pure deductive reasoning type clue in which case I should be able to figure it out quickly. This didn't strike me as a pure deductive reasoning clue since all those countries are close enough to France for them to fight each other. And my first reaction was "Do I know this?" Ten seconds later I came to the conclusion that I did. It was that brief uncertainty that makes me feel that this question was misvalued.

slam

#15 Post by slam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am

kayrharris wrote:If you Google "Blue Foot" the word chicken comes up right away. I doubt her PAF would have known it, but it could have been figured out if her PAF was ready to Google. It was hard to tell, but I think the PAF was trying to repeat the question to a room full of people.
Sure, but do you really think that this particular PAF was going to get around to googling within 30 seconds?

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:26 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
clem21 wrote:OK, yes the PAF was miserable but I don't see that as an excuse for throwing away 7,000, which is what she proceeded to do as she said she had no clue whatsoever and was completely guessing. I guess she can afford it.
Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance. She was a local who had little expenses for either her audition or the show itself. She ended up with $1000. Yes, she lost 7k but she could have gained 8k. I agree that a one out of four chance aren't good odds but she had the fallback of the 1k.
I think most players here feel they can make it to 25k. But I'd be interested in hearing what they would do with all their lifelines gone in a similar situation.
I've complained enough about contestants walking in the middle tier that I'd keep going, even on a one-in-four guess. No way have I pursued the quest this long for a mere $8K!

And this particular stack would have been a trial for me. I'd have burned the ATA on "Gone Baby Gone," then I'd have needed the PAF for "Head Over Heels."

I agree that the Blue Foot question was too obscure for $16K. I had the right hunch, mostly because I was thinking of the Blue-footed Booby. :wink:

gsabc

#17 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Guest Host: Leeza Gibbons

Janey Gubow
New York, NY

During the week, Janey wears a business suit and is usually behind the camera, instead of in front of it. ...
So the implication is that she's a WE/WE.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100
A woman who is making her "Broadway debut" is most likely doing what on Broadway for the first time?

A: Acting B: Sewing
C: Cooking D: Hosing you for 125 bucks

$200
Fine lines, dark circles and puffiness are pesky cosmetic problems that often occur where on the body?

A: Bottoms of the feet B: Around the eyes
C: Under the arms D: On the scalp

$300
To launch his own company in 1947, Italian entrepreneur Enzo Ferrari drew on his own experience competing in what sport?

A: Auto racing B: Boxing
C: Yachting D: Skiing

$500
Which of these college sports teams has a reptile as its mascot?

A: Georgetown Hoyas B: UCLA Bruins
C: Florida Gators D: Connecticut Huskies

$1,000
A "quad stretch" primarily limbers up what part of the body?

A: Neck B: Arms
C: Back D: Legs

$2,000
What actor directed the 2007 film "Gone Baby Gone," which stars his younger brother?

A: George Clooney B: Owne Wilson
C: Ben Affleck D: Ashton Kutcher
By coincidence, on my audition date last year, Ben was doing "The View" to plug the film, and a woman near me in line went bonkers when she saw him being chaffeured into the garage port at the studio. Couldn't get her camera phone out fast enough.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
Joan of Arc believed that God had chosen her to defend France from invaders from what country?

A: Austria B: England
C: Spain D: Italy

ATA: A: 6% B: 72% C: 19% D: 3%

That's the answer Janey was leaning towards.
ATA results argue that the question was properly valued. OTOH, France and England were at each other's throats so often back then that it was a reasonable guess whether you actually knew it or not.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
In the mid-80's what two pop bands enjoyed hit songs that were both named "Head Over Heels"?

A: The Police & Duran Duran B: Wham! & Culture Club
C: Tears For Fears & the Go-Gos D: Genesis & the Bangles

50/50 leaves B & C.

Leeza: Would it be a complete guess?

Janey: At this point, yes. The song isn't coming into my head, which is the problem. Okay, C, final answer.
Absolute guess on my part, too. '80's music is a major weakness. Fortunately, I'd still have my ATA.

And where is this knowledge popular? I was reasonably sure it was one of the birds, but no idea which. Don't know if I'd have tried the 50/50 to see if it left one of the four-footers, or just gone to PAF with Google on this one. If the 50/50 left both birds, then I'd have had to use the PAF anyway.

Not a good stack for me. Likely one or zero lifelines with the $25K milestone yet to come.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:02 am

gsabc wrote:

And where is this knowledge popular?
Maybe Where Elsers should have been familiar with this question; there was an article about the Blue Foot in New York magazine! :P

Notice the picture, which shows the chicken as it is normally sold, with feet and head still attached! And for this, you pay ten times the price of a regular chicken! (New York isn't so gauche as to mention price, but Wikipedia does.)

tanstaafl2

#19 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:42 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
It has always been my intention to go for at least 50K no matter what. I would have needed help at 8K so not sure what lifelines would be left but I didn't need one for the 16K or any other question on this one.

But then the additional 7K isn't that big a deal for me. I know it is for some. I would be there to play the game as much as for the money at least through 50K. I would only start considering the money if I got to 50K and was totally unsure at 100K with no lifeline left.

Not that I am ever likely to get on the show. With the demise of the phone game and the requirement for casting I am unlikely to audition and even if I did and presuming I could pass the test, as a fairly garden variety MAWG, I am unlikely to make the show. My only hook might be my job and my willingness to appear in uniform if they were interested but I am not likely to be considered "good TV" by TPTB.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#20 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 am

Auditions in Atlanta tomorrow. Check it out!! I'm serious.
Benjamin Franklin

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#21 Post by Here's Fanny! » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:05 am

As I told Kay when she gave me the lowdown on this, I figured that the Blue Foot must be a fowl. Going with Uly's parameters of no lifelines left, I'd like to think I would have said chicken but just reading it and thinking 'yeah, I'd go with chicken' is a little different than in reality, so I don't know for sure.

Unlike Snoopy, 7k is a big deal to me but I'm a dumbass gambler so, with a 50/50 shot, I'd probably go for it, given the possible reward of continuing on combined with the fact that this is a one shot deal. Unlike the casino, you can't pocket for right now and come back later.

As for Joan of Arc, I had to think about Spain for a second.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:01 am

kayrharris wrote:Auditions in Atlanta tomorrow. Check it out!! I'm serious.
Those were this morning, Kay.

7yrscollegedownthedrain

#23 Post by 7yrscollegedownthedrain » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:32 am

coulda been worse - read where 12% of Americans think Joan of Arc was Noah's wife...
In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#24 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:36 am

Yikes. Did I mention details we're not my thing? Guess I stupidly thought Saturday would make more sense!!
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:41 am

kayrharris wrote:Yikes. Did I mention details we're not my thing? Guess I stupidly thought Saturday would make more sense!!
The APs like their weekends. :P

Get your vibes going for the interviews, which should be starting soon. We know that gsn passed the test; hopefully, so did our other BBs.