QoD 06/27/08 Jeopardy! Friday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:34 am

Don’t forget to phrase your responses in the form of a question. Daily Double to follow in a separate thread.

Today’s Jeopardy! Category is GRASS.

4 pts: In a memorable episode of “Northern Exposure,” Chris the DJ is fired for mentioning the possibility of this “Leaves of Grass” poet’s homosexuality.

8 pts: This 20th century German poet, playwright, and sculptor’s most famous work is The Tin Drum

12 pts: This largest member of the grass family can grow up to 3-4 feet per day, depending on conditions.

16 pts: Erma Bombeck title which best fits this category.

20 pts: Written by Curly Putnam, Jr. and covered by a multitude of singers in pop and country, many people don’t realize it’s being sung from the perspective of a man sentenced to execution. Sweet Mary!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

VAdame

#2 Post by VAdame » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:05 am

Spoiler
1 - Who is Walt Whitman?

2 - Who is Gunter Grass?

3 - What is Bamboo? (or even Big Bambu, to keep with the "Grass" theme :wink: )!

4 - What is The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?

5 - What is The Green Green Grass of Home?

OK, in the interest of consistency I'll wager half.

jarnon

Re: QoD 06/27/08 Jeopardy! Friday

#3 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 am

Spoiler
4 pts: Who is Whitman?
8 pts: Who is Günter Grass?
12 pts: What is bamboo?
16 pts:
20 pts: What is One Toke Over the Line?

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#4 Post by Here's Fanny! » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:03 am

Spoiler

Don’t forget to phrase your responses in the form of a question. Daily Double to follow in a separate thread.

4 pts: In a memorable episode of “Northern Exposure,” Chris the DJ is fired for mentioning the possibility of this “Leaves of Grass” poet’s homosexuality.

Who is Walt Whitman?

8 pts: This 20th century German poet, playwright, and sculptor’s most famous work is The Tin Drum

Who is Herr Grass?

If LFHP's answer isn't James Blunt, I will be highly disappointed.

12 pts: This largest member of the grass family can grow up to 3-4 feet per day, depending on conditions.

What is the ganga? (Smothered with Miracle Gro and injected with both the clear and the cream.)

The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank.

My mom used to have all the Bombeck books. I never understood what this title meant, but a septic tank sounded like something really boss. Ha!

20 pts: Written by Curly Putnam, Jr. and covered by a multitude of singers in pop and country, many people don’t realize it’s being sung from the perspective of a man sentenced to execution. Sweet Mary!

What is The Green Green Grass of Home?

This was a staple in my Dad's band (I think it was a law they they had to do every Porter Wagoner song known to man). A more boring song I never heard. Long Black Veil always being the exception to that statement, of course.
Since I'm Fanny, I can put down some random number instead of a percentage. Mrk says so. So I will bet 5986045733. Or the amount I've gotten today, whichever is smaller.

Hopefully I put in enough commentary so that mrkelley will know this is really me. Ha!

mcd1400de

#5 Post by mcd1400de » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:19 am

Spoiler
mrkelley23 wrote:QoD 06/27/08 Jeopardy! Friday

Who is Walt Whitman?

Who is Gunther Grass?

What is bamboo?

What is The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?

What is The Green, Green Grass of Home?

Tricky category... I'll wager half my points on the DD.
Bazinga!

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 am

Spoiler

Who is Walt Whitman?

Who is Gunter Grass?

What is bamboo?

What is "The GrassIis Always Greener Over the Septic Tank"?

Staying clam.

And I'll bet it all on the Daily Double.

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 am

Spoiler
1. Who isWalt Whitman
2. Who is GUnter Grass
3. What is Bamboo
4. What is "The Grass is ALways Greener Over the Septic Tank"
5. What is Green, Green Grass of Home

wager all
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 am

Spoiler
Who is Walt Whitman?

Who is Gunter Grass? Which I am guessing more because of the category than any knowledge of this work.

What is bamboo?

What is "The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank"? A favorite euphemism!

Hmm, I dunno.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Catfish

#9 Post by Catfish » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am

Spoiler

Who is Walt Whitman?

What is bamboo?

**Daily Double**
In light of the huge number of points I have at stake here, I'll wager ALL
Catfish

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Spoiler
Who is Whitman?
Spoiler
Who is Grasse?
Spoiler
What is bamboo?
Spoiler
What is The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank?

Daily double -- I'll bet it all. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

JBillyGirl

#11 Post by JBillyGirl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Spoiler
4 pts: In a memorable episode of “Northern Exposure,” Chris the DJ is fired for mentioning the possibility of this “Leaves of Grass” poet’s homosexuality. -- Who is Walt Whitman?

8 pts: This 20th century German poet, playwright, and sculptor’s most famous work is The Tin Drum -- Who is Gunter Grass?

12 pts: This largest member of the grass family can grow up to 3-4 feet per day, depending on conditions. -- What is bamboo?

16 pts: Erma Bombeck title which best fits this category. -- What is "The Grass Is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Septic Tank"?

20 pts: Written by Curly Putnam, Jr. and covered by a multitude of singers in pop and country, many people don’t realize it’s being sung from the perspective of a man sentenced to execution. Sweet Mary! -- What is "Kiss My Grass"? (OK, I just made that title up)

I'll bet half my points on the Daily Double.

KillerTomato

#12 Post by KillerTomato » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Spoiler

Who was Walt Whitman?

Who is Gunter Grass?

What is bamboo?[/]

What is "The Grass is Always Greener On the Other Side of the Septic Tank"?....or something like that. Wish I could remember if there's a penalty for guessing....

What is "The Green Green Grass of Home"?
Hope it's not "Green Grow the Lilacs", which is the only other thing I can think of.

I'll bet everything on the DD.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

andrewjackson

#13 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Spoiler
4 pts: Who is Walt Whitman?

8 pts: Who is Gunter Grass?

16 pts: What is The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?

20 pts: What is the Green, Green Grass of Home?

I'll wager everything on the Daily Double.
No matter where you go, there you are.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Spoiler
4 pts. Who is Walt Whitman?

8 pts.

12 pts.

16 pts. What is "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank"?

20 pts. What is "Green Green Grass of Home"?
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

TheConfessor

#15 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Spoiler

Who is Walt Whitman?

Who is Gunter Grass?

What is bamboo?

What is: The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank?

What is: The Green Green Grass Of Home?
Cause there's a guard and there's a sad old padre
Arm in arm, we'll walk at daybreak
Again I'll touch the green green grass of home.

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm not really sure how this works, but I guess I'm supposed to wager something, so I'll bet it all.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#17 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Spoiler

Who is Mr. Walt Whitman?

Who is Mr. Gunter Grass?

What is bamboo?

What is The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?

What is The Green, Green Grass of Home? (That's the only grass song I can think of.)

I will bet nothing on the daily double, because I always lose points, and then I feel bad.
Sou iu koto de.

kroxquo

#18 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:53 am

Who is Walt Whitman

Who is Gunter Grasse

What is kudzu

What is The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank

WAG What is The Green Grass of Home
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#19 Post by frogman042 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Spoiler

Walt Whitman

Guenter Grass

No idea - Marsh grass?

The grass is always greener over the septic tank

The green, green grass of home

LookingForHumorPoints
Merry Man

#20 Post by LookingForHumorPoints » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Who is Cheech Marin?

Who is Alex Van Halen?

What is Astroturf?

What is "Hey, Don't Bogart That Joint!"?

What is "Tokin' in the Boys Room"

Spoiler
Formerly known professionally as Gabriel Tree, Michael Landon convinced her to go back to her real name when she got the job as Caroline Ingalls.

Who is Gabby Bare Patch?

LFHP

NellyLunatic1980

#21 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:57 am

Spoiler
4 pts: Who was Walt Whitman?
8 pts: Who is Gunter Grass?
16 pts: What is "The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank"?
20 pts: pass

Going back to betting half on the Double.

mrkelley23

#22 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 pm

4 pts: In a memorable episode of “Northern Exposure,” Chris the DJ is fired for mentioning the possibility of this “Leaves of Grass” poet’s homosexuality. Who is Walt Whitman?

8 pts: This 20th century German poet, playwright, and sculptor’s most famous work is The Tin DrumWho is Gunter Grass

12 pts: This largest member of the grass family can grow up to 3-4 feet per day, depending on conditions.what is (giant) bamboo?

16 pts: Erma Bombeck title which best fits this category.What is The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank?

20 pts: Written by Curly Putnam, Jr. and covered by a multitude of singers in pop and country, many people don’t realize it’s being sung from the perspective of a man sentenced to execution. Sweet Mary!What is the Green, Green Grass of Home?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman