Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:33 am

Get those second interviews, Nelly and Minty and anyone else who might be going to the cattle call! :)

Here's another promo for the auditions.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/blogs/cont ... re_in.html
The audition process is painless, says Trisha Miller, who handles public relations for the show.
How about a second opinion on that, Trisha? :|

gsabc

Re: Good luck to our BBs in Atlanta!

#2 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Get those second interviews, Nelly and Minty and anyone else who might be going to the cattle call! :)

Here's another promo for the auditions.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/blogs/cont ... re_in.html
The audition process is painless, says Trisha Miller, who handles public relations for the show.
How about a second opinion on that, Trisha? :|
She's right. It doesn't hurt them a bit.

Good luck to everyone down there for their shot!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:53 am

gsabc wrote:She's right. It doesn't hurt them a bit.
I don't know about that. Some of those APs look like they're being tortured by the boredom. :twisted:

ne1410s

#4 Post by ne1410s » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:58 am

Some of those APs look like they're being tortured by the boredom.
Ya know, that was true. The Jeopardy audition on the other hand was an absolute hoot. The APs were very glad to be there or very good at faking enthusiasm and empathy. Nah, nobody's that good...

I haven't had so much fun since the hogs ate Grandpa.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:06 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I don't know about that. Some of those APs look like they're being tortured by the boredom. :twisted:
Mine seemed fairly enthusiastic last week. Or maybe that's just my hopes talking.

It could also be just the road auditions. I was the very first person interviewed at my own first audition way back when in Boston, and the AP there already seemed uninterested, unenthusiastic, and uninvolved in what she was doing. Barely looked up at me, didn't even glance at my application other than to make sure it was neatly in her pile of papers.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 am

On to the interview, gsn! 8)

Make it two!

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am

I suppose I should have given the interviews a try given they are so close by. After all, I am a "guvmint" employee so it is not as though anyone would miss me if I didn't show up for work!

Unfortunately just not a great week, out of the office on TDY to Mississippi for a little "fishing" Monday through Wednesday, have guests in town this week and am going on vacation starting this weekend for a few days so just not the best time.

In addition to the fact I find nothing appealing about the audition process for me.

I do hope the BB's that did go are successful.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:04 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:In addition to the fact I find nothing appealing about the audition process for me.
I hear ya, tanstaafl. :|

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:In addition to the fact I find nothing appealing about the audition process for me.
I hear ya, tanstaafl. :|
To be entirely accurate I suppose I should say "casting" process. Recent and past evidence suggests skill at or even interest in the game itself and trivia in general is of secondary importance to the process!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#10 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:02 pm

tan,

love the avatar.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#11 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Someone needs to pick up the slack for uly who is obviously out of the office today!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

gsn309

#12 Post by gsn309 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:37 pm

No big news to report. I guess I went "stealth"!
I passed the general knowledge test but not the Movie Week test (only a handful passed that one). Interview went 4 or 5 minutes, which was longer than some. We'll see --- but I was glad I went. I mean, they are here -- why not!

Oh, one thing--in the later session (who was interviewing with my session) they were told a happy post card is good for two years now. That's it.
Best of luck to the others who auditioned today.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Were they inviting some to have second interviews, gsn?
gsn309 wrote: Oh, one thing--in the later session (who was interviewing with my session) they were told a happy post card is good for two years now.
That's been standard since they first decided they'd have to flush the pool, back in May, 2006. :|
If you have auditioned before and received a postcard stating that you are in the Contestant Pool, please note: Eligibility for selection from the Contestant Pool does expire. Anyone who auditioned prior to June 2006 will need to audition again this year.
Which actually means a Happy Card is good for three seasons.

JBillyGirl

#14 Post by JBillyGirl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Best of luck, gsn! I'm glad you went, and I'm really pulling for you! (Well, I'm pulling for all Atlanta BBs, but particularly for you!) :D

gsn309

#15 Post by gsn309 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Were they inviting some to have second interviews, gsn?
gsn309 wrote: Oh, one thing--in the later session (who was interviewing with my session) they were told a happy post card is good for two years now.
That's been standard since they first decided they'd have to flush the pool, back in May, 2006. :|
If you have auditioned before and received a postcard stating that you are in the Contestant Pool, please note: Eligibility for selection from the Contestant Pool does expire. Anyone who auditioned prior to June 2006 will need to audition again this year.
Which actually means a Happy Card is good for three seasons.

Well I was told it was random.. but I can also tell you that the guy who is a dead ringer for Jack Sparrow (and you WILL see him on Halloween week, as sure as I have ever been sure about anything regarding Millionaire) was recorded, as were the "generations" contestants (1 group) who passed. Now it may be they all have to get recorded because they are trying for speciality shows. But I suspect not getting taped (and I was not) will not bode well for a happy card.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 pm

gsn309 wrote:But I suspect not getting taped (and I was not) will not bode well for a happy card.
Oh.

I share your assessment of the situation. :|

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Is that their fault?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:26 am

There was a nice article in the "living" section of the Atlanta Journal today about the auditions.

gsn309

#19 Post by gsn309 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:36 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:But I suspect not getting taped (and I was not) will not bode well for a happy card.
Oh.

I'll give more thoughts on the auditions after the post cards are received. As I said, I'd be shocked to receive a happy card. It did go much better than the 2003 fiasco at the show taping. And, well, I am always happy to just pass the test! It was a weird feeling (and a first, for me!) to finish the test knowing I had passed it. My understanding, too, is that the earlier session test was a bit -- or perhaps considerably -- more difficult.

slam

#20 Post by slam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:51 am

gsn309 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Oh.

I'll give more thoughts on the auditions after the post cards are received. As I said, I'd be shocked to receive a happy card. It did go much better than the 2003 fiasco at the show taping. And, well, I am always happy to just pass the test! It was a weird feeling (and a first, for me!) to finish the test knowing I had passed it. My understanding, too, is that the earlier session test was a bit -- or perhaps considerably -- more difficult.
We have been hearing reports that at least one of the tests that they're using this year produces much fewer passers. I'm wondering why they still use it after the first few times of that happening. If anything, it seems that they want the test to be more inclusive than less inclusive.

And I also share Marley's assessment of the situation despite hearing the AP specifically say that wasn't true.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#21 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:10 am

gsn309 wrote:My understanding, too, is that the earlier session test was a bit -- or perhaps considerably -- more difficult.
They might figure that the people who get on line early enough to be in the first group are the diehards, so they give them a harder test.

Whether it's because they think they can handle it, they want to keep the percentage of passers to a reasonable amount for interview purposes or they just want less of the diehards to pass the test, I don't know.

Probably a bit of each.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:30 pm

slam wrote: And I also share Marley's assessment of the situation despite hearing the AP specifically say that wasn't true.
Well, I believe half of what they say is true: getting the second interview is not a guarantee of getting in the pool. However, as for not getting the second interview not necessarily meaning that you're not getting into the pool...well, I suppose there might be that rare contestant who is soooo over-the-top fabulous that the APs all but give him or her a tape date right there...but why not videotape such a person just to show him off to TPTB?

Edit: Added a missing verb.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsn309

#23 Post by gsn309 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:58 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
slam wrote: And I also share Marley's assessment of the situation despite hearing the AP specifically say that wasn't true.
Well, I believe half of what they say is true: getting the second interview is not a guarantee of getting in the pool. However, as for not getting the second interview not necessarily meaning that you're not getting into the pool...well, I suppose there might be that rare contestant who is soooo over-the-top fabulous that the APs all but him or her a tape date right there...but why not videotape such a person just to show him off to TPTB?
Boo! I mean it's a bummer if that's how it is (no taping = no card), but that's life. But --- if they're lying about the fact that it is random, that would suck, eh? I suspect most of those decisions (to tape or not to tape) were made beforehand based solely on the digital photos... and that that is how the interview stacks were arranged. Maybe another auditioner will shed more light on that, later on.
[/b]

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:04 pm

gsn309 wrote:But --- if they're lying about the fact that it is random, that would suck, eh?
Did they actually tell you that the decision to tape a second interview was random? Or did they just say that it doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other?

gsn309

#25 Post by gsn309 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:08 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:But --- if they're lying about the fact that it is random, that would suck, eh?
Did they actually tell you that the decision to tape a second interview was random? Or did they just say that it doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other?
I specifically asked, and was told it was random.