Flushing my phone

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Flushing my phone

#1 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am

I had started using a holster that slides onto my belt for my cell phone recently. Last night, as I was preparing to "do God's work", as Bill Cosby put it, I undid my pants. The end of the belt slid out of the loop and the holster fell off, right into the toilet. I grabbed it out as fast as I could, but the phone still got wet. I took out the battery and let it dry overnight. A trial this morning just gave me an intermittant white screen. I'll let it dry some more before declaring it officially flushed.

eBay lists the phone, new, for about $80. I'm fine with using a phone that's two years out of style. It has what I need and use. I hope the SIM (SIMM?) card in the old one is still okay.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 am

My kids say to use a hair dryer to make sure all the parts are dry. Haven't had to try it myself. I usually just drop mine on concrete so it won't ever work again.

$80 for a replacement doesn't sound bad at all. Good luck!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:33 am

kayrharris wrote:My kids say to use a hair dryer to make sure all the parts are dry.
Didn't think of that. I'll have to try it tonight. Thanks for the idea!

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:24 am

That's one way to avoid those unwanted incoming text messages.

:lol:
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#5 Post by sunflower » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:07 pm

The fine folks at Verizon gave me instructions after mine went in the bathtub. They said it's an exercise in patience. Take the battery out, leave the cover off and let it sit for 2 days. Don't try to turn it on, or the water in there can short it out. They also said not to use a hair dryer because that can move the water around more and cause more of a problem. I let it dry and in 2 days it worked (might have been closer to 3 by the time I tried to turn it on)...the hair dryer might work but I am not sure, I went with their advice.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:25 pm

sunflower wrote:The fine folks at Verizon gave me instructions after mine went in the bathtub. They said it's an exercise in patience. Take the battery out, leave the cover off and let it sit for 2 days. Don't try to turn it on, or the water in there can short it out. They also said not to use a hair dryer because that can move the water around more and cause more of a problem. I let it dry and in 2 days it worked (might have been closer to 3 by the time I tried to turn it on)...the hair dryer might work but I am not sure, I went with their advice.
Like I said, I tried it this morning and at least got some response out of it. I'll leave it alone until tomorrow evening, which will be two days. Fortunately, I have my work cellphone for the family to contact. Others, not so much.

TPTB better not be trying to call to schedule a taping!

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#7 Post by sunflower » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 pm

gsabc wrote:TPTB better not be trying to call to schedule a taping!
They'd give you another day to call back! But to be on the safe side...maybe you should change your voice mail to have people call an alternate number!

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 pm

gsabc wrote:TPTB better not be trying to call to schedule a taping!
I think you're safe today, while they're in Atlanta.

Better have the phone working by next week, though. :)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Flushing my phone

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 pm

gsabc wrote:I had started using a holster that slides onto my belt for my cell phone recently. Last night, as I was preparing to "do God's work", as Bill Cosby put it, I undid my pants. The end of the belt slid out of the loop and the holster fell off, right into the toilet. I grabbed it out as fast as I could, but the phone still got wet. I took out the battery and let it dry overnight. A trial this morning just gave me an intermittant white screen. I'll let it dry some more before declaring it officially flushed.

eBay lists the phone, new, for about $80. I'm fine with using a phone that's two years out of style. It has what I need and use. I hope the SIM (SIMM?) card in the old one is still okay.
Just send your phone to WGAS. They will heal it. If that doesn't work, send it to Larry Craig.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Update: IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Tried it again last night after another 36 hours of drying time. Turned right on and everything that was there still is. Now the AP's have no excuse for not calling me.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#11 Post by sunflower » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:18 pm

gsabc wrote:Update: IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Tried it again last night after another 36 hours of drying time. Turned right on and everything that was there still is. Now the AP's have no excuse for not calling me.
Good news! :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:35 pm

sunflower wrote:The fine folks at Verizon gave me instructions after mine went in the bathtub. They said it's an exercise in patience. Take the battery out, leave the cover off and let it sit for 2 days. Don't try to turn it on, or the water in there can short it out. They also said not to use a hair dryer because that can move the water around more and cause more of a problem. I let it dry and in 2 days it worked (might have been closer to 3 by the time I tried to turn it on)...the hair dryer might work but I am not sure, I went with their advice.
Emma left her phone in her pants and I washed it. It's her second phone to go through the laundry.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#13 Post by sunflower » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:39 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Emma left her phone in her pants and I washed it. It's her second phone to go through the laundry.
Oh no!!! I'm guessing the phone doesn't make a good recovery from that???

Wow, you must have pretty fast laundry turnaround time, to be able to wash the pants before she realized her phone was missing!! I'm impressed!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:28 pm

gsabc wrote:Update: IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Good news. maybe I should see if I can get my phone from the bottom of Newport Bay to see if it still works.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#15 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:47 pm

sunflower wrote:
Oh no!!! I'm guessing the phone doesn't make a good recovery from that???

Wow, you must have pretty fast laundry turnaround time, to be able to wash the pants before she realized her phone was missing!! I'm impressed!
She was sleeping.

Speaking of clothes on the ground, I think that was some sort of strange happenings in Placentia last night. I have a usual route that I walk. Sometimes there are dead animals or lost dogs on the route , but today I saw three pairs of underwear on my route. They were about 100 feet apart from each other. It was very odd.
three pairs of underwear at various points on my route.

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:53 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Speaking of clothes on the ground, I think that was some sort of strange happenings in Placentia last night. I have a usual route that I walk. Sometimes there are dead animals or lost dogs on the route , but today I saw three pairs of underwear on my route. They were about 100 feet apart from each other. It was very odd.
What size were they? Maybe you could do a Cinderella type thing and have all the neighbors try them on until you find the rightful owner.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#17 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:16 am

TheConfessor wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Speaking of clothes on the ground, I think that was some sort of strange happenings in Placentia last night. I have a usual route that I walk. Sometimes there are dead animals or lost dogs on the route , but today I saw three pairs of underwear on my route. They were about 100 feet apart from each other. It was very odd.
What size were they? Maybe you could do a Cinderella type thing and have all the neighbors try them on until you find the rightful owner.
I don't want to go near them. All I hope is that a roving band of squirrels will carry them off before I go on my walk tomorrow.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 am

TheConfessor wrote:
I don't want to go near them. All I hope is that a roving band of squirrels will carry them off before I go on my walk tomorrow.
I don't think squirrels wear underwear.

TheConfessor

#19 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:34 am

ulysses5019 wrote:I don't think squirrels wear underwear.
It's kind of surprising how many hits you get when you google squirrel underwear. Here's one:
http://clothing.cafepress.com/squirrels ... ?topic=340

gsabc

#20 Post by gsabc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Speaking of clothes on the ground, I think that was some sort of strange happenings in Placentia last night. I have a usual route that I walk. Sometimes there are dead animals or lost dogs on the route , but today I saw three pairs of underwear on my route. They were about 100 feet apart from each other. It was very odd.
Must have been an orgy in the back of the pickup.

Would you believe a strip poker foursome in a moving mobile home?

How about some laundry left on top of the car from the laundromat?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#21 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:30 am

gsabc wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Speaking of clothes on the ground, I think that was some sort of strange happenings in Placentia last night. I have a usual route that I walk. Sometimes there are dead animals or lost dogs on the route , but today I saw three pairs of underwear on my route. They were about 100 feet apart from each other. It was very odd.

The underwear was on the golf course, inside the fence.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#22 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:33 am

gsabc wrote:

The underwear was on the golf course, inside the fence.
Brings a new definition to the skins game, doesn't it?
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.