The Dark Knight

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
danielh41

The Dark Knight

#1 Post by danielh41 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:45 pm

After reading Peter Travers's review, http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/mov ... ark_knight, I absolutely can't wait to see this movie.

The trouble is, my 5-year-old, who is superhero crazy, can't wait to see this movie either. But after reading the review describing the content of the movie, I just don't think I can take him to see it. I'm wondering how to break the news to him.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

Re: The Dark Knight

#2 Post by Here's Fanny! » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:07 pm

danielh41 wrote:After reading Peter Travers's review, http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/mov ... ark_knight, I absolutely can't wait to see this movie.

The trouble is, my 5-year-old, who is superhero crazy, can't wait to see this movie either. But after reading the review describing the content of the movie, I just don't think I can take him to see it. I'm wondering how to break the news to him.
I haven't read any reviews, but I definitely wouldn't take a 5 year old to a PG-13 movie. And judging from the trailer and what I know of the movie itself, I think the PG-13 rating is a bit soft.

Also, I don't consider Batman a superhero. I would assume a 5 year old has only seen cartoons and stuff like the Adam West show, in which case I don't think he's ready for the Dark Knight himself, much less the movie of the same name. So as far as breaking the news to him? If more is needed than he can't see it because you're the parent and it's your decision, or that he's supposed to be 13 to see it, then just tell him this is a different Batman than the one he knows about and he wouldn't like it, anyway.

I was thinking about this movie the other day since it's all over the tv and meant to post a message asking people's opinions on it. So, I'll add it here.

Does just seeing the trailers creep anybody out as much as it does me? Or is the creepiness factor because this is the role that essentially killed Heath Ledger? I don't know, even when they were filming it I thought just the pictures of him were very disturbing.

Now I certainly wouldn't expect them to can the movie because of the death of one of the actors, but I'm wondering if that will hurt the movie because the creep factor or if it will pull a Saratoga and be all the more popular because of it?
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#3 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote:
I'm wondering if that will hurt the movie because the creep factor or if it will pull a Saratoga and be all the more popular because of it?
Yes.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#4 Post by Here's Fanny! » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:
Here's Fanny! wrote:
I'm wondering if that will hurt the movie because the creep factor or if it will pull a Saratoga and be all the more popular because of it?
Yes.

/:P\
But which side will prevail?

I consider myself as macabre as the next person (yeah, yeah, even more so), but I don't think I could see it without being very disturbed.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

lilyvonschtupp26

#5 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:46 pm

Have a private showing at home and rent some of the old Batman the Animated Series instead of going to Dark Knight. BTAS had great stories and the animation was good (not as good as Gargoyles).

I wouldn't take anyone under 12 to see the new one.
It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many lives as we wish. -S.I. Hayakawa

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm

danielh41 wrote:After reading Peter Travers's review, http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/mov ... ark_knight, I absolutely can't wait to see this movie.

If he's looking for a hero........SuperSquirrel!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#7 Post by Evil Squirrel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:14 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

You look an awful lot like that squirrel that always wears the glasses....
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

Rocket_J_Squirrel
Merry Man

#8 Post by Rocket_J_Squirrel » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:34 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about an upcoming movie deal!

I am going to have to have a talk with my agent. He spends all his time trying to get that damned moose a job to try to keep him out of trouble.
Where the the hell is that damned moose?

andrewjackson

#9 Post by andrewjackson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm waiting for the big screeen/live action version of Secret Squirrel.

The casting battle to portray Morocco Mole will be intense.
No matter where you go, there you are.

elwoodblues

#10 Post by elwoodblues » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:22 pm

andrewjackson wrote:I'm waiting for the big screeen/live action version of Secret Squirrel.

How about Danny DeVito for Morocco Mole?

I saw The Happening tonight, and someone in the audience actually brought a little girl to see it. Some people do not seem to know what that "R" after the title means.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:23 am

elwoodblues wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:I'm waiting for the big screeen/live action version of Secret Squirrel.

How about Danny DeVito for Morocco Mole?

I saw The Happening tonight, and someone in the audience actually brought a little girl to see it. Some people do not seem to know what that "R" after the title means.
The worst thing I remember was parents taking their kids to see the original Child's Play movie. I doubt a lot of five-year-olds have a firm grip on the difference between fantasy and reality and the idea that a kid's toy could come to life and start killing people is not a really pleasant one to come to (and spend the night in a dark room full of similary potentially psychotic toys).

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:27 am

Here's Fanny! wrote:

I haven't read any reviews, but I definitely wouldn't take a 5 year old to a PG-13 movie. And judging from the trailer and what I know of the movie itself, I think the PG-13 rating is a bit soft.
They have ratings guidelines and if a movie avoids excessive profanity (primarily multiple uses of the f-word), nudity and drug use, and there isn't much gore (violence is okay as long as blood and broken bones aren't shown), then it will get a PG-13 rating. Today's rapid-fire editing style for action scenes, in which the camera rarely dwells on any one image, actually is a benefit for studios trying to avoid an R-rating for big budget blockbuster films.