Back From Sengal

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

Back From Sengal

#1 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:21 am

I've just gotten back from 11 days in the country of Senegal. What an eye-opening experience. Never having been in a third world country before, it was amazing to actually experience what conditions are like, and saying that, I must guess about the fact that things are much harder in many parts of the country because our group spent most of its time in Dakar.

I was part of a group of 33 North Carolina educators - teachers, principals, and comm. college instructors - who traveled to the country as part of a cultural exchange program set up by a program called World View set up by UNC. The idea is that by exposing educators to life in other countries we are better able to educate our students on the world and its inter connectedness (if that's a word).

During our time there we visited several schools ranging from relatively well-off private schools to a school for street kids who are lost and homeless. We also visited cultural landmarks such as Goree Island - one of the headquarters of the European slave trade - and the city of Touba, a Muslim holy city. We also heard lectures on local cultures, customs, the education system, Islam, and took lessons in Woloff the local language and Batik a form of tye-dyeing.

It was an incredible experience and one which i am glad I took.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

bazodee

#2 Post by bazodee » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Any photos to share?

ksbirchtree

#3 Post by ksbirchtree » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:24 pm

My nephew went there not long after college graduation. He said then that every 12-year-old should go.... make them appreciate what they have!
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 am

bazodee wrote:Any photos to share?
The whole group is going to be posting their pictures on snapfish or some similar site, so when I find out which one, I'll post a link.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams