Olympic Trials

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

Olympic Trials

#1 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:49 am

Is anyone watching the Olympic trials for either swimming or track & field?

It is a bit "sad" that they are being relegated to the USA Netowrk mainly and with limited coverage. Of course, I also am one of those people who get geeked up over nearly any sport as long as it is the Olympics that I am watching.

Anyway, there had been some amazing performances, both in the water and on the track. I was amazed at how easily Bernard Legat ran the 5000 meters race. Heck, he could have won while carrying a small child over each shoulder. :wink:

I want to try to head over to the Aqua Zone at the Qwest Center to see it (and see if I can see any of the more famous swimmers) before we head out of town on Friday for our extended trip.

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 pm

I saw the 1500m final event for the Decathlon. I also saw the summary lead-in coverage for the event, so I saw the efforts of the top contenders in the discus, pole vault, & javelin.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

andrewjackson

#3 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 pm

I watched some of the stuff on NBC over the weekend. I haven't caught any of the USA coverage.
No matter where you go, there you are.

jaybee

#4 Post by jaybee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Every once in a while you get lucky!

The Swimming and Diving trials are taking place at the UT Aquatic center - located a scenic 12 minutes away from this keyboard that I'm typing on. My oldest and youngest have plans to go in the next day or two and since the trials are going on today through Sunday, I just may go too.

Costs $20 all day for an adult and only $6 all day if you are under 18.
Jaybee

andrewjackson

#5 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:08 pm

jaybee wrote:Every once in a while you get lucky!

The Swimming and Diving trials are taking place at the UT Aquatic center - located a scenic 12 minutes away from this keyboard that I'm typing on. My oldest and youngest have plans to go in the next day or two and since the trials are going on today through Sunday, I just may go too.

In Austin this week? I thought the swimming trials were in Omaha and the diving trials were last month in Indianapolis.

Ah.

1. UT in this case is the University of Tennessee.
2. Some of the diving trials were in Indy but the rest are this week in Knoxville.

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:20 pm

andrewjackson wrote: In Austin this week? I thought the swimming trials were in Omaha and the diving trials were last month in Indianapolis.
You must be thinking of the Lee and Joe Jamail Center.
http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/about/

andrewjackson

#7 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:23 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
andrewjackson wrote: In Austin this week? I thought the swimming trials were in Omaha and the diving trials were last month in Indianapolis.
You must be thinking of the Lee and Joe Jamail Center.
http://www.tsc.utexas.edu/about/
That's funny. We have the Lee and Joe Jamail Center here in Houston as well.

OK, technically it is the Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark but who's counting.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:14 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
jaybee wrote:Every once in a while you get lucky!

In Austin this week? I thought the swimming trials were in Omaha and the diving trials were last month in Indianapolis.

Ah.

1. UT in this case is the University of Tennessee.
2. Some of the diving trials were in Indy but the rest are this week in Knoxville.
I can attest to the fact that the swimming trials indeed are in Omaha, where we are setting new records for crowds everyday. :)

There is talk that Omaha will get the swim trials again and again in the future. Of course, there also is talk that the swimmers want the trials moved to earlier in the year, as they do not like trying to peak twice in such a short period of time (trials and then Olympics).