How glad are you that you're not on my fantasy baseball team

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ToLiveIsToFly

How glad are you that you're not on my fantasy baseball team

#1 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:13 pm

One of my best starting pitchers blew out his knee trying to make a tag at first base. While I watched from the 9th row.

Another of my supposedly best starting pitchers had a rib surgically removed the other day. Presumably this wasn't to have a companion made out of it.

Another one has missed starts twice already this season, most recently because of back pain.

Two outfielders and my shortstop have been on the DL already this season. One with broken fingers getting hit by a pitch, one spraining his ankle tripping over second base, I think.

But my starting catcher? Men, I dare you to read this without wincing.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#2 Post by hermillion » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 pm

If you decide to host a pick-up game -- please don't pick me! :lol:
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

clem21
Nose Exploder

#3 Post by clem21 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Ow.
At least you didn't have Kaz Matsui earlier this year when he missed time due to a severe anal fissure. I had to look that up on wikipedia at the time.

ToLiveIsToFly

#4 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 pm

clem21 wrote:Ow.
At least you didn't have Kaz Matsui earlier this year when he missed time due to a severe anal fissure. I had to look that up on wikipedia at the time.
I dunno. Personally, I'd rather read "injured (anus)" about me than "injured (testicle)".

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Maybe jeemie will see this and lodge a bit of a complaint of his own.

Not that I'm doing any better with my two best pitchers (Wainwright and Zambrano) on the DL along with 3 of my other players....

lb13

gsabc

Re: How glad are you that you're not on my fantasy baseball

#6 Post by gsabc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:26 am

ToLiveIsToFly wrote:But my starting catcher? Men, I dare you to read this without wincing.
Carlton Fisk used to get hit all the time, probably because of the way he crouched at the plate. One of the local sportswriters has a story of one year when Fisk had been hit numerous times. Late in the season, Fisk went down yet again, and as he lay there on the dirt, the phone in the press box started ringing. One of the writers said "That's Linda Fisk, announcing Carlton's retirement from baseball."
Last edited by gsabc on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

Re: How glad are you that you're not on my fantasy baseball

#7 Post by Here's Fanny! » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 am

Fantasy sports are silly.

Maybe his wife got tired of him using 'stop busting my balls' as a metaphor.
gsabc wrote:
ToLiveIsToFly wrote:But my starting catcher? Men, I dare you to read this without wincing.
Carlton Fisk used to get hit all the time, probably because of the way he crouched at the plate. One of the local sportswriters has a story of one year when Fisk had been hit numerous times. Late in the season, Fisk went down yet again, as as he lay there on the dirt, the phone in the press box started ringing. One of the writers said "That's Linda Fisk, announcing Carlton's retirement from baseball."
Bill Lee relates a painful Fisk incident in his autobiography. The Wrong Stuff is one of the best autobio books I've ever read.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

ne1410s

#8 Post by ne1410s » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:32 pm

'member when John Kruk had testicular cancer? After its removal he showed up at spring training with a T shirt that read:

Let me play or I'm going to take my ball and go home!
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

TheConfessor

#9 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Lance Armstrong recently opened an upscale bike shop in downtown Austin. It includes a snack bar that bears the name Juan Pelota.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#10 Post by Here's Fanny! » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:30 pm

They just showed a clip on the news of a Padre who fouled a ball off of his face last night. That looked painful. And it still looked painful after the 48506870433rd time they slowed the reply in slo-mo.

See what you started, Joe Theismann and/or Lawrence Taylor?
Spoiler

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:40 am

Here's Fanny! wrote:They just showed a clip on the news of a Padre who fouled a ball off of his face last night. That looked painful. And it still looked painful after the 48506870433rd time they slowed the reply in slo-mo.

See what you started, Joe Theismann and/or Lawrence Taylor?

It's been a banner year for ugly injuries! I was watching the game on TV where Pujols lined a shot off Chris Young's forehead back in May.... then came around to score and rolled over catcher Josh Bard's ankle.... 2 nasty injuries in the same inning!

Probably the weirdest injury I've ever seen while watching a game involved, I believe, Sean Casey when he was with the Tigers (It may have been the injury he suffered in the 2006 ALCS, but I can't find the moment for sure. I thought it was in the WS against the Cards, but he was quite healthy that whole Series). Anyway, he got injured while running out a ground ball, and they showed the clip of him running out of the box, and you could see something in his leg look like it exploded! It was like a huge muscle spasm rippling through his leg. They showed the replay of it several times because it just looked so cool....

lb13

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#12 Post by Here's Fanny! » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 am

littlebeast13 wrote: Probably the weirdest injury I've ever seen while watching a game involved, I believe, Sean Casey when he was with the Tigers (It may have been the injury he suffered in the 2006 ALCS, but I can't find the moment for sure. I thought it was in the WS against the Cards, but he was quite healthy that whole Series). Anyway, he got injured while running out a ground ball, and they showed the clip of him running out of the box, and you could see something in his leg look like it exploded! It was like a huge muscle spasm rippling through his leg. They showed the replay of it several times because it just looked so cool....

lb13
Speaking as someone who tore a calf muscle three times in April, that makes me cringe much more than the thought of a busted nut. I could definitely not handle seeing that.

I think the only reason the 'fouled off of his face' thing got so much play is because it was a Rockies game.
Spoiler