Atlanta audition story, video and blog

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsn309

Atlanta audition story, video and blog

#1 Post by gsn309 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Here are the links from the Spartanburg (SC) reporter who attended the Atlanta audition, passed the test and interviewed.
There is a TWENTY minute video associated with the article. You will see Jack Sparrow as the first person interviewed (and probably agree that he's likely to show up on Halloween week). My friend Heather appears about 7 1/2 minutes in. Sadly (as some might surmise from mere observation), she did not pass the test. Luckily the shots of me are too short to notice! There'll be a small bit more to tell about the video after I get my sad card.

Oh, the Yellow Pages proofreader guy! LOL! You just sorta have to watch it and you'll know what I mean! :P

Oh, the writer's blog contains some observations that might even make the most grumbling of gh0sts smile!

Article and video:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/200807 ... /807060334

blog:

www.goupstate.com/lanefiller
Last edited by gsn309 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#2 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for posting the links. If you watch/listen to the video, near the end they are interviewing a film critic who passed the movie test. I was amused that during the interview he said he had tried out for J! and just missed passing by 1 question. Well, for anyone who has ever tried out for J!, they never tell anyone their individual scores, but the do say that since they don't know the score it is possible that missed it by just 1 question, so thats what they can tell their friends. So it was funny to hear him say with such authority that he missed it by just 1 question.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Atlanta audition story, video and blog

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:52 pm

gsn309 wrote:Here are the links from the Spartanburg (SC) reporter who attended the Atlanta audition, passed the test and interviewed.
There is a TWENTY minute video associated with the article, of which as of now I've watched only the first few minutes. You will see Jack Sparrow as the first person interviewed (and probably agree that he's likely to show up on Halloween week). My friend Heather may appear in the video later, but I won't get to watch it til late tonight.

Oh, and his blog contains some observations that might even make the most grumbling of gh0sts smile!

Article and video:

blog:

From the blog

Starting at 7 a.m., there were three rounds of tests. Starting at 12:30 p.m., there were two rounds of one-on-one interviews, solely for people who passed the tests. So, of course, when we went to get in line for the interviews there was a chick who told us she hadn't taken the written test but felt sure she would get on the show anyway. She was painfully drunk, said her excuse for being five hours late was that she "had to do a favor for a friend," would not have gotten more than, say, two questions right on the test had she showed up for it, and for some reason felt she should engage Mike in conversation for trhe entire time we were in line.

It was hugley comical, because Mike, the very definition of a worshipful and devoted family man, is not at his best with young, blond, drunk fools (did I mention I'm almost certain she was a stripper.) Good times. She told Mike, "If they want me to leave, they're going to have to tell me so." Three minutes later, she gets to the front of the line, explains her predicament and the "Millionaire" employee manning the door said, after a bit of back and forth, "We want you to leave." And she did.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:59 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
gsn309 wrote:Here are the links from the Spartanburg (SC) reporter who attended the Atlanta audition, passed the test and interviewed.
There is a TWENTY minute video associated with the article, of which as of now I've watched only the first few minutes. You will see Jack Sparrow as the first person interviewed (and probably agree that he's likely to show up on Halloween week). My friend Heather may appear in the video later, but I won't get to watch it til late tonight.

Oh, and his blog contains some observations that might even make the most grumbling of gh0sts smile!

Article and video:

blog:

From the blog

Starting at 7 a.m., there were three rounds of tests. Starting at 12:30 p.m., there were two rounds of one-on-one interviews, solely for people who passed the tests. So, of course, when we went to get in line for the interviews there was a chick who told us she hadn't taken the written test but felt sure she would get on the show anyway. She was painfully drunk, said her excuse for being five hours late was that she "had to do a favor for a friend," would not have gotten more than, say, two questions right on the test had she showed up for it, and for some reason felt she should engage Mike in conversation for trhe entire time we were in line.

It was hugley comical, because Mike, the very definition of a worshipful and devoted family man, is not at his best with young, blond, drunk fools (did I mention I'm almost certain she was a stripper.) Good times. She told Mike, "If they want me to leave, they're going to have to tell me so." Three minutes later, she gets to the front of the line, explains her predicament and the "Millionaire" employee manning the door said, after a bit of back and forth, "We want you to leave." And she did.

Hmmmm.....did you know her seersuckerdude?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 am

gsn309 wrote:Oh, the writer's blog contains some observations that might even make the most grumbling of gh0sts smile!
You mean like this?
*Most people who think they are really good at trivia are middle-aged white guys. Because of that, the secret to getting on the show is likely, "Don't be a middle-aged white guy." That being said, I'm not quite sure what oiur options were. I do have a youthful, exuberant immaturity, but coupled with a receding hairline, painfully cigarette and whiskey-soaked voice and paunch, no one is turning around at the mall to sneak a second peak at me.
:|

gsn309

#6 Post by gsn309 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:10 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:Oh, the writer's blog contains some observations that might even make the most grumbling of gh0sts smile!
You mean like this?
*Most people who think they are really good at trivia are middle-aged white guys. Because of that, the secret to getting on the show is likely, "Don't be a middle-aged white guy." That being said, I'm not quite sure what oiur options were. I do have a youthful, exuberant immaturity, but coupled with a receding hairline, painfully cigarette and whiskey-soaked voice and paunch, no one is turning around at the mall to sneak a second peak at me.
:|
Hah! Actually Suitguy found it already! As for his self-assessment-- well, he'd be right at home here, wouldn't he? :wink: Did you watch the video Marley? I was surprised they allowed access to the actual test session, even though nothing really 'secret' was revealed.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 am

gsn309 wrote:Did you watch the video Marley? I was surprised they allowed access to the actual test session, even though nothing really 'secret' was revealed.
Not yet--I can't watch the video at work. It's definitely surprising that they'd allow an audition to be taped.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#8 Post by frogman042 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:24 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsn309 wrote:Did you watch the video Marley? I was surprised they allowed access to the actual test session, even though nothing really 'secret' was revealed.
Not yet--I can't watch the video at work. It's definitely surprising that they'd allow an audition to be taped.
The only thing the video shows inside the audition arena is a handfull of numbers being called out and a few folks standing and heading to an off camera area after their number is called.

Other then that it is virtually all interviews with contestents outside of the interview/testing area.

gsn309

#9 Post by gsn309 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:18 pm

You can add another :cry: to the list.
I mean, I knew (we all did) that that would be the case.

I guess my only beef is the contention that taping is "random." If theyare only gonna tape people that interest them, fine. But don't call it random. I hate them saying it, if it's a lie.

If you go to the video posted at the top of the thread, the blonde woman barking orders about 8 minutes in was the one who interviewed me. She seemed to be in a bad mood -- or at least short, in general -- the entire time. I am also guessing, based on the short time I was in the interview area --- that she got the likely "reject" pile of test passers.

So it goes.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Sorry, gsn. I really am. :(
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:23 am

Dang!

I had a dream that you were in the hot seat and ate all of your words.

It was bizarre.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:44 am

Burying your news in this thread, gsn? :(

All these Sad Cards should be buried, of course. With a stake of holly through their "We appreciate your continued interest in the show" hearts.

gsn309

#13 Post by gsn309 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Burying your news in this thread, gsn? :(

All these Sad Cards should be buried, of course. With a stake of holly through their "We appreciate your continued interest in the show" hearts.
I put it here so people could reference the video in the Spartanburg reporter's story.
I guess she appears, briefly, about halfway in. You sorta get the idea from the video.

I'm as convinced as I can be that she was the one handling their predetermined "rejects"... which really sucks. Maybe Nelly (and I guess PC Maxey) can tell us if she was their interviewer, too.

As I said, I stretched out my 90 seconds to 5 minutes -- but she never bothered to look at my questionnaire. (I had a great hook attached concerning the superstitions question, but I never got to mention it). Now I will tell you I could have answered 2 of her 3 main questions better --- one of them a lot better (and if I ever audition and get interviewed again, I will know how to answer that) -- so I can see why I was rejected. But I feel like a different AP interviewing me may have yielded better results, or at least given me a fighting chance.

I think it's fair to conclude from yesterday's reports that despite what they say -- anyone who interviews and is not taped for a 2nd interview will not be placed in the contestant pool.

whittler44

#14 Post by whittler44 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 am

I'm planning on auditioning in Detroit on August 13... but after seeing what happened yesterday I'm starting to get scared. :shock: I watched the video and there sure were a lot of people at the road audition. Some of the people said they got to the mall later in the morning, from those that have gone to the road auditions, is that advisable? I'd like to get a good nights sleep, but I don't want to be so far in line that I miss a chance to take the test.

This is my first time taking the test and hopefully auditioning. What kinds of questions did she ask gsn? Not that I think I have many interesting answers, but it never hurts to be prepared. :)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am

whittler44 wrote:I'm planning on auditioning in Detroit on August 13... but after seeing what happened yesterday I'm starting to get scared. :shock: I watched the video and there sure were a lot of people at the road audition. Some of the people said they got to the mall later in the morning, from those that have gone to the road auditions, is that advisable? I'd like to get a good nights sleep, but I don't want to be so far in line that I miss a chance to take the test.

This is my first time taking the test and hopefully auditioning. What kinds of questions did she ask gsn? Not that I think I have many interesting answers, but it never hurts to be prepared. :)
I'm bumping this up. I don't know the answers to your questions but I know that there are those on the bored who know.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:02 am

Oh, and good luck and if you see kazoo there, wish her luck.

gsn309

#17 Post by gsn309 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 am

whittler44 wrote:I'm planning on auditioning in Detroit on August 13... but after seeing what happened yesterday I'm starting to get scared. :shock: I watched the video and there sure were a lot of people at the road audition. Some of the people said they got to the mall later in the morning, from those that have gone to the road auditions, is that advisable? I'd like to get a good nights sleep, but I don't want to be so far in line that I miss a chance to take the test.

Hey Whittler! Good luck in Detroit!
As for when to arrive -- all I can say is that, because this is Atlanta, I KNEW that they would not hit their 2500 hundred person limit, or come even close to it.. so I showed up around 9am and was in a relatively short line. Some of that video was shot in the first session, which had 400 people. I was in the third session, which had about 75. I can't tell you how other cities would be, though I can't imagine they would (or even could) have just a single sessions.

As for the questions:
Well here are the main ones to ponder:
Why do you want to be on the show?
What would you do with a million dollars?
What would Meredith find most interesting about you?

I think that those are the questions you will be asked even if they don't look at your questionnaire (and she did not ever look at mine). I would say go all-out! Given the taping sked this year -- and the fact there seem to be no other road trips, if you really knock them out you'll make the show. Good luck!!

JBillyGirl

#18 Post by JBillyGirl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 am

I'm so sorry, Marc. I know you felt you knew this was coming, but it still has to hurt.

ghostjmf

#19 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am

This all stinks.

Enough about you, now for fascinating stuff about me!: I've been debating about whether hope should spring eternal or whether I should just let it die. Considering what this year is like so far, I'd say not this year again for me. I would have better luck getting onto J!, providing I could pass the test that is, which so far I have not. And I would get absolutely creamed on J!, as I'm just not fast enough.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am

whittler44 wrote:What kinds of questions did she ask gsn? Not that I think I have many interesting answers, but it never hurts to be prepared. :)
We've had a couple people post this year's questions from the application already:

1. Quirks, rituals, superstitions…What makes you unique?

2. How would winning $1 million change your life?

3. What is one thing you do that makes people laugh?

4. If you could vote yourself as best-_____ or most-likely-to_____, what would be your vote?

5. What do you do for fun?

6. You’d never believe it but I once…

7. Why do you want to be on Millionaire?

The questions the AP asks you will very likely be some of these, although they may not even glance at your application form during the interview.

And, yeah, boring answers don't get advanced to the second interview. :|

pcmaxey

#21 Post by pcmaxey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:00 pm

gsn309 wrote: I'm as convinced as I can be that she was the one handling their predetermined "rejects"... which really sucks. Maybe Nelly (and I guess PC Maxey) can tell us if she was their interviewer, too.
I had a different AP. I don't recall her name, she had blondish/brown curly hair.
She spent more time with me than the APs I had in other interviews, but I choked. She was very nice and actually looked at a couple of my answers.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#22 Post by secondchance » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:13 am

whittler44 wrote:I'm planning on auditioning in Detroit on August 13...
I also had the little blonde meanie. She asked around 4 questions without looking at my questionnaire:
1. Why do you want to be on the show
2. What do you do for fun
3. What would you do with the money
4. What do you do that makes people laugh. My response did not make her laugh. Not a good sign.

My answers, while given with a large smile, were probably too sincere and relaxed as I could feel her stifling a yawn as she decided where to have lunch. Come up with and rehearse responses that are really unusual if not zany, and blurt them out quickly, loudly, and enthusiastically. Make something up if you have to - lol.

peacock2121

#23 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 am

ghostjmf wrote:This all stinks.

Enough about you, now for fascinating stuff about me!: .
ghost cracked me up!

mntetn

#24 Post by mntetn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:40 am

gsn309 wrote:... all I can say is that, because this is Atlanta, I KNEW that they would not hit their 2500 hundred person limit, or come even close to it..
I'm curious about this. I was surprised by the low turnout compared to my other experiences (Nashville and Chicago) but what is it that made you know ahead of time?

pcmaxey

#25 Post by pcmaxey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:26 am

I thought they had a pretty good turnout for no more than they advertised the audition.
I saw it mentioned once on the local affiliate’s 5:00 AM new program the day before the audition. Twice if you count the teaser they used for the mention… “Coming up next, learn how to become a millionaire without winning the lottery.”