Halloween Temptation

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Halloween Temptation

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 pm

I have been very good (overall) in my dietary intake. I have been very mindful of my carb and sugar intake (with advice from the wife of one of my favorite bb's) and my numbers have been most excellent.

I must confess, though..I snuck a bite-size Baby Ruth and a roll of Smarties.

My wife goofed. She bought Three Musketeers and Hershey Bars (sans Almonds) to pass out, knowing that they would not tempt me. She purposely did not purchase Butterfingers, Almond Joys, Crunch Bars, $100,000 bars, Reese's, or my all-time fave, M&M" Peanut. Good thinkin'. But she shoulda known better with the Baby Ruths. I only et one, though. And now they are gone.

The Smarties were sitting on my desk at work, courtesy of a co-worker in a witch's costume. I have loved those freakin' things (smarties, not witch's costumes) since I wuz a youngun. Seriously. If there was a Smarties-addicts group, I coulda been a charter member.

So..I et them. I am weak. My name is T-Bone, and I have a Smarties problem.

Still, one teensy Baby Ruth and a roll of Smarties. Not bad for Halloween.

Of course, 26 more days and we leave for Disney. The land of killer restaurants and Pineapple Dole Whips.

Well, I'll be good when I get back home.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#2 Post by hermillion » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:35 pm

Smarties are the official candy of my Academic Bowl team. We take a bag with us to every competition. Anything to psych out the opposing teams!

8)
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Halloween Temptation

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:38 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote: She purposely did not purchase Butterfingers, Almond Joys, Crunch Bars, $100,000 bars, Reese's, or my all-time fave, M&M" Peanut.
Hey, hey, big boy. I have a basket of Butterfingers and Almond Joys sitting right next to my front door....

I would be sayin' I'm just sayin' if I could be sayin' that.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:42 pm

It was all I could do to not open the two bags - yes two one pound bags - Sting bought for the 2 - yes 2 - neighbor kids.

Only one kid came - Sting gave the kid the other bag to give to his sister. Pissed me off - I wanted that bag.

It is all for the best.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:51 pm

Actually I read somewhere that if you must eat candy Three Musketeers is the one to indulge. :) Smarties have no fat, just sugar, so you're only half bad there.

No candy in my house as I am the Halloween Grinch. :twisted: We have over 1000 (not kidding) kids come through here. I turn off the lights, keep the black cat in the house and don't answer the door. It would be 2 1/2 hours solid of standing at the door giving out candy. No thank you.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Halloween Temptation

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:51 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote: She purposely did not purchase Butterfingers, Almond Joys, Crunch Bars, $100,000 bars, Reese's, or my all-time fave, M&M" Peanut.
Hey, hey, big boy. I have a basket of Butterfingers and Almond Joys sitting right next to my front door....

I would be sayin' I'm just sayin' if I could be sayin' that.
Yer just lucky my chair isn't fully charged right now. If I had a full battery, me & my power chair would be on the interstate doin' a cool 9MPH (top speed..feel the heat!)
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm

We're the ones nobody gets excited about. A mixture of Sam's special. Tootsie Rolls (which I personally think are good) and the other crappy stuff. Oh well.
Well, then

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#8 Post by cindy.wellman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:22 pm

We are smack dab in the land of Latter Day Saints. I have NO idea what to expect as far as the number of children that may come to our door. Most of the families who have children here have 3+ (4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

I bought so much candy it is sickening.

Right now I guess the church is having a trunk or treat event, but that is over at 6:30, so we'll see if business gets boomin'! Since 90% of the neighbors are LDS, I'm guessing that is where everyone is.

I'm also guessing that Sam wants the worst case scenario to happen, which is to have very few children come to the door. By default, the candy will be then be hers. LOL :lol:

Edited to add: Of course one of the candies I bought was Smarties. Along with T-Bone, I would have been a charter member of that club.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:35 pm

I used to hate Milky Way bars, so I bought them for Halloween.
A few years ago, somebody developed Milky Way Midnights and only buying Milky Ways backfired because they are now my favorite candy bar.

Shade

#10 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:38 pm

I love three musketeers, Halloween is a great excuse to eat lots of Candy. :)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm under orders to give away all the candy before SteelersFan gets home, but it's not going so well. We live about five houses from the end of a cul-de-sac, and the kids often skip us entirely.

I started off with two 12- or 13-year-olds who didn't even bother to dress up, but I just had the most darling pair. Big sis was in an elaborate black and orange witch outfit complete with tiny flashing orange lights, and little brother was riding a pony and had the complete cowboy outfit, again including little flashing red lights for safety. Made my night, even if I have to take three bags of candy to work tomorrow.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:50 pm

kayrharris wrote:Actually I read somewhere that if you must eat candy Three Musketeers is the one to indulge. :) Smarties have no fat, just sugar, so you're only half bad there.

No candy in my house as I am the Halloween Grinch. :twisted: We have over 1000 (not kidding) kids come through here. I turn off the lights, keep the black cat in the house and don't answer the door. It would be 2 1/2 hours solid of standing at the door giving out candy. No thank you.
I am really surprised. It seems out of character.

But that is a lot of candy to buy.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:01 pm

kayrharris wrote:Actually I read somewhere that if you must eat candy Three Musketeers is the one to indulge. :) Smarties have no fat, just sugar, so you're only half bad there.

A million years ago, I lived in a neighborhood where there were very few children. The residents were all either my parents' age and the kids were grown and gone, or they were my age and hadn't started having children yet. This was also a very strange time in our country, of razor blades in apples and pins in candy, when most children trick-or-treated only at the homes of their friends and relatives. I got fewer than 10 tricks-or-treaters one year.

Times change! That neighborhood now has a similar situation to the one Kay is in. Parents import children from all over town because it's a very kid-friendly neighborhood, most residents decorate, and some pass out full-size candy bars. The ones who don't want to participate do what Kay does -- all lights off.

When I lived in that neighborhood, Midnight wasn't allowed out on Halloween either. She would be furious at me for two days, but it was worth it not to worry about her.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#14 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Annie's birthday party is under way, with a "cake" comprised primarily of cottage cheese and dog cookies. She's wearing her beloved pumpkin suit, of course, and Lizbit is wearing a hand-me-down red jacket, which barely stretches around her sturdy little body.

The puppy was very puzzled by the costumes, until she met her first group of trick-or-treaters. About 7 or 8 small children, the oldest no more than 4, showed up together. Between Lizbit's efforts to get out to be with the children and the toddlers trying to get in to pet the puppy, the whole thing was hysterical chaos. I'd give anything if someone had been aiming a video camera at all of us.

Fortunately, since I'd forgotten to unlock the back door, Lizbit was too distracted to lock the front door, with me outside. (This is her new, most consistent trick.) I now can hear Annie outside at the fence in the back, barking to attract another crowd.

ladysoleil

#15 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:55 am

Our neighborhood gets so few kids that we generally hand out full-sized bars. True to form, we have about four Snickers bars left. I hate Snickers, so they're safe from me.

In related news, I'm not sure whether I should be flattered or irritated that my roommate went as me for Halloween...

ksbirchtree

#16 Post by ksbirchtree » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 am

I'm with you, T-Bone, on Smartees! But who can eat just one????

I try not to give out candy, as neither my husband nor I need it. If it were just me, I could buy candy with nuts and never touch it. But I have yet to find a candy my hubby won't eat. So I gave out popcorn balls from Wally-World. Lots left, which may get trashed. The tester at my house said they weren't very good.
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Smartees are on the Do Not Buy list!

Love 'em. Always have.

The Boyfriend's house averages about 40 kids each Halloween. That's what it was last night.

We buy two boxes of 30 full-sized bars. That way, if it does spike, we are covered and, if not, there are candy bars to bring to work the next day.

The kids were VERY excited about Skittles and Starbursts.