Transcript 10/31/2007 - Lyn Payne

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/31/2007 - Lyn Payne

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Lyn Payne
Orlando, FL
Journalist

$100 - According to an old saying, "love of" what "is the root of all evil"?

A - food
B - money
C - clothing
D - reality television

$200 - A hideaway bed is typically "hidden away" inside which of these pieces of furniture?

A - sofa
B - wing chair
C - coffee table
D - footstool

$300 - Where on the human body is the umbilicus?

A - head
B - arm
C - stomach
D - foot

$500 - In the Olympics, a decathlon has how ma ny more events than a triathlon?

A - 5
B - 6
C - 7
D - 8

$1K - An April 2007 issue of Time magazine featuring a penguin on its cover was dedicated to what hot-button issue?

A - tax cuts
B - global warming
C - gun control
D - same-sex marriage

Commercial break

Lyn is a journalist.

$2K - Media pundits often refer to which of these time periods by the moniker, "the Decade of Greed"?

A - 1950s
B - 1960s
C - 1970s
D - 1980s

Lyn says she is a media pundit herself so she should know this. She says it is related to "Greed is good" which came out in the 1980s.

$4K - What firearm shares its name with a classic Beatles album?

A - pistol
B - revolver
C - rifle
D - musket

It happens to be Lyn's favorite Beatles album of all time "and it's not 'Musket'".

$8K - What ancient civilization domesticated the Caffre cat, believed by many to be the ancestor of short-haired domestic cats?

A - Roman
B - Aztec
C - Chinese
D - Egyptian

Lyn says this is a tough question because she doesn't know about the Caffree cat, but she does know languages, so she attempts to reason it out. Unable to come up with anything she decides to use her Phone-a-Friend to call Leszek (Pawlowicz??). Lyn reads the first part of the question only, then spells "Caffre". Leszek has only a couple seconds and time runs out as he says, "Egyptian."

THE HORN!!!!!

Lyn will return tomorrow with her ATA and 50/50 remaining.

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (money)
$200 - A (sofa)
$300 - C (stomach)
$500 - C (7)
$1K - B (global warming)
$2K - D (1980s)
$4K - B (revolver)
$8K - D (Egyptian)
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:55 am

Nihil obstat®

And WHOO Leszek! :D

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:45 am

Seems to me that she didn't think about the value of the question. If she had and if she knew how the questions usually go, she would have known this was not a trick and Egypt would have to go with cat.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/31/2007 - Lyn Paine

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K - What firearm shares its name with a classic Beatles album?

A - pistol
B - revolver
C - rifle
D - musket

It happens to be Lyn's favorite Beatles album of all time "and it's not 'Musket'".
Sorry, pop music people, I'd have to ATA here.

And as I said in the other thread, great save, Leszek! If you're still in touch with Lyn, please give her an invitation to visit us.

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#5 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:25 am

Lyn Paine
Orlando, FL
Journalist

$100 - According to an old saying, "love of" what "is the root of all evil"?

A - food
B - money
C - clothing
D - reality television

The contestants they pick for this show take that very seriously...

$200 - A hideaway bed is typically "hidden away" inside which of these pieces of furniture?

A - sofa
B - wing chair
C - coffee table
D - footstool

$300 - Where on the human body is the umbilicus?

A - head
B - arm
C - stomach
D - foot

$500 - In the Olympics, a decathlon has how ma ny more events than a triathlon?

A - 5
B - 6
C - 7
D - 8

$1K - An April 2007 issue of Time magazine featuring a penguin on its cover was dedicated to what hot-button issue?

A - tax cuts
B - global warming
C - gun control
D - same-sex marriage

What, didn't they have a picture of Al Gore's sky high electric bill?

Lyn is a journalist.

OK...

$2K - Media pundits often refer to which of these time periods by the moniker, "the Decade of Greed"?

A - 1950s
B - 1960s
C - 1970s
D - 1980s

Lyn says she is a media pundit herself so she should know this. She says it is related to "Greed is good" which came out in the 1980s.

No, it was green is good, not greed, you idiot! Where were you when teebee taught up that?

$4K - What firearm shares its name with a classic Beatles album?

A - pistol
B - revolver
C - rifle
D - musket

Hey Lyn. You worry about answering the questions. Leave the lame attempts at humor to me...

$8K - What ancient civilization domesticated the Caffre cat, believed by many to be the ancestor of short-haired domestic cats?

A - Roman
B - Aztec
C - Chinese
D - Egyptian

Lyn says this is a tough question because she doesn't know about the Caffree cat, but she does know languages, so she attempts to reason it out.

Exactly what does this question have to do with languages? Which of those ancient civilizations is associated with those evil furballs we call cats?

Unable to come up with anything she decides to use her Phone-a-Friend to call Leszek (Pawlowicz??).

Wow, indianstudent and Leszek in one show! This is a red letter day for the Bored...

Lyn reads the first part of the question only, then spells "Caffre". Leszek has only a couple seconds and time runs out as he says, "Egyptian."

Geez, that was close! I sure would have hated to open up a can of Whoop-Ass® on such a well respected man of trivia. Then again, I sure could go for some of that....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

slam

#6 Post by slam » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:27 am

And <i>Revolver</i> is also my favorite Beatles album. Most people think of <i>Sgt. Peppper's Lonely Hearts Club Band</i> as the Beatles best. I like that album also, but prefer <i>Revolver</i>. Even though you weren't sure of the album name, I strongly suspect that you know some of the songs on it, such as:

Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
Got to Get You Into My Life
Good Day Sunshine

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:31 am

slam wrote:Even though you weren't sure of the album name, I strongly suspect that you know some of the songs on it, such as:

Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
Good Day Sunshine
Yes, my pop cultural ignorance isn't that complete! :P

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:52 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Lyn Paine
Orlando, FL
Journalist
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - What ancient civilization domesticated the Caffre cat, believed by many to be the ancestor of short-haired domestic cats?

A - Roman
B - Aztec
C - Chinese
D - Egyptian

Lyn says this is a tough question because she doesn't know about the Caffree cat, but she does know languages, so she attempts to reason it out. Unable to come up with anything she decides to use her Phone-a-Friend to call Leszek (Pawlowicz??). Lyn reads the first part of the question only, then spells "Caffre". Leszek has only a couple seconds and time runs out as he says, "Egyptian."
Yes, it was our own Leszek serving as PAF. I read the other thread where Leszek explained the problem with the PAF call. I figured it might be "Egyptian" even before the answers came up, since that society is associated with cats.
Last edited by earendel on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:53 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Sorry, pop music people, I'd have to ATA here.
Marley, even I knew this one.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:11 am

earendel wrote:
So you've got a few years on me. :P

There actual was a lone neuron firing the message, "Hey, 'Revolver' sounds kinda familiar," but it was shouted down by the overwhelming response, "Shuttup, you! That'd be the most irresponsible form of uninformed guessing."

And the thing is, one can know the songs, without being aware of the organizational detail of the albums they came from. That abstracted information is not passed on with every casual hearing.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:22 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:So you've got a few years on me. :P

And the thing is, one can know the songs, without being aware of the organizational detail of the albums they came from. That abstracted information is not passed on with every casual hearing.
Good point - someone posted some of the songs from the album but that's not always part of the DJ's intro when the songs are played on the oldies stations.

slam

#12 Post by slam » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:31 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
So you've got a few years on me. :P

There actual was a lone neuron firing the message, "Hey, 'Revolver' sounds kinda familiar," but it was shouted down by the overwhelming response, "Shuttup, you! That'd be the most irresponsible form of uninformed guessing."

I agree absolutely. I wasn't trying to say that one had to know that there was a Beatles album named <i>Revolver</i>, but just that I thought you would know some of the songs on it even though you didn't know they were on it.

This brings me to a current pet peeve of mine. When I was a kid, DJs on the radio would announce the name and artist of every song they played both before and after the song. In this way, I learned a lot of song names. These days, DJs seem to mention those details sporadically. I find this rather frustrating. Sure, my car radio has something which "might" display that info if I press a button repeatedly (not all stations give that info and the info isn't always complete), but this doesn't quite substitute for the way it used to be. If the song name and artist always were visible to me, I would be happier.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:36 am

slam wrote: This brings me to a current pet peeve of mine. When I was a kid, DJs on the radio would announce the name and artist of every song they played both before and after the song. In this way, I learned a lot of song names. These days, DJs seem to mention those details sporadically. I find this rather frustrating. Sure, my car radio has something which "might" display that info if I press a button repeatedly (not all stations give that info and the info isn't always complete), but this doesn't quite substitute for the way it used to be. If the song name and artist always were visible to me, I would be happier.
I find this annoying as well. If I hear a song that I like, I wrote down a couple of lines from the song, then when I go home, I can Google the lyrics and the buy the song on iTunes.

The latest song that I found this way is "Clint Eastwood" by GorillaZ. I didn't write down enough information to find the lyrics and I was searching for about two days. What put me off the track is the fact that the words "Clint Eastwood" are not in the song, so I kept passing by the song when I was looking for lyrics.

starfish1113

#14 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:07 am

slam wrote: This brings me to a current pet peeve of mine. When I was a kid, DJs on the radio would announce the name and artist of every song they played both before and after the song. In this way, I learned a lot of song names. These days, DJs seem to mention those details sporadically. I find this rather frustrating. Sure, my car radio has something which "might" display that info if I press a button repeatedly (not all stations give that info and the info isn't always complete), but this doesn't quite substitute for the way it used to be. If the song name and artist always were visible to me, I would be happier.
That's why I have XM! When I don't know the name of a song, all I need to do is look at the device and there is the song and artist! I'm listening right now on the computer to IT, the history of pop music, which goes from decade channel to decade channel playing every song they have, chronologically. Currently, it's on April 1970 and Which Way You Goin', Billy by the Poppy Family. Not exactly high art, but at least now I know who sings this song!

starfish1113

#15 Post by starfish1113 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 am

slam wrote:And <i>Revolver</i> is also my favorite Beatles album. Most people think of <i>Sgt. Peppper's Lonely Hearts Club Band</i> as the Beatles best. I like that album also, but prefer <i>Revolver</i>. Even though you weren't sure of the album name, I strongly suspect that you know some of the songs on it, such as:

Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
Good Day Sunshine
It's both my favorite Beatles albums AND my favorite album of all time. In addition to the songs you mentioned, I particularly love For No One and Here, There, and Everywhere.

Appa23

#16 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:12 am

I saw a little of this contestant on the show yesterday.

She reminded me of a female Kevin Smith, personality-wise.

I imagine that it might bode well for her results (although using the PAF so early does not).

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 am

Appa23 wrote:I imagine that it might bode well for her results (although using the PAF so early does not).
Spoiler
It might...if one is inclined to read articles with officially released spoilers in them! :)

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#18 Post by Odyssey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:31 am

I have to say I would have had to ATA on the Beetles album.
Odyssey

Appa23

#19 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:13 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:I imagine that it might bode well for her results (although using the PAF so early does not).
Spoiler
It might...if one is inclined to read articles with officially released spoilers in them! :)
Spoiler
Marley, I was specifically referencing her possible need for the PAF on her last question today.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:17 am

Appa23 wrote:
Spoiler
Marley, I was specifically referencing her possible need for the PAF on her last question today.
Oh.

If we can get Lyn to visit, I would be curious to hear why she decided to use the PAF instead of the ATA for this $8K question.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#21 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:44 am

That 1k one might have gotten me, what with everyone's panties in a bunch over penguins' tendencies after March of the Penguins. The answer could have gone either way, like penguins just might...

Appa23

#22 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 am

Spoiler
O.K. There still has not been a Million Dollar Winner because of the newer STQ lifeline. It did help double her money. :)

I guess that she does not read USA Today. -) :roll:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006 ... avez_x.htm

I still remember from AP American History the insult: "a jerk, a stooge and a lackey of imperialism".
Last edited by Appa23 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:04 am

Appa23 wrote:
Spoiler
I guess that she does not read USA Today.
Spoiler
Were you looking for a tongue-in-cheek emoticon there? :P

Appa23

#24 Post by Appa23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am

Spoiler
Rather than tongue-in-cheek, I went with rolling eyes.

I never would have thought that there would have been such a recent article.

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 am

It's also amusing to me when HoltDad and marley do this thing they do.