Containers do not equal lids

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Containers do not equal lids

#1 Post by gsabc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Our plastic containers fell on me once too often today as I put away the clean dishes out of the dishwasher. I drug out every last one of the suckers, along with their lids, from all the places we stash them, determined to match them up.

I do not understand how we lose lids. There are numerous containers with no lids.

I understand even less how we lose containers. Especially the large, rectangular Tupperware ones. There is a lid for one with no matching container. Conversely, there is a differently sized rectangular Tupperware container without a lid. There are also a fair number of other lids which do not match any of the lidless containers.

I think that somewhere in the universe, in the same solar system as the planet Single Sock, there is a planet known as Containers Only, circled by its moon, Lids Only.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:00 pm

You are not alone! I'm sick to death of searching for lids....I have dozens of them as well as dozens of containers, none of which seem to belong to each other! :oops:

I did invest in some more expensive containers with really nice lids. A set of about 10 different sizes. Haven't lost a lid or container yet. Just give me a little more time. 8)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Containers do not equal lids

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 pm

gsabc wrote:Our plastic containers fell on me once too often today as I put away the clean dishes out of the dishwasher. I drug out every last one of the suckers, along with their lids, from all the places we stash them, determined to match them up.

I do not understand how we lose lids. There are numerous containers with no lids.

I understand even less how we lose containers. Especially the large, rectangular Tupperware ones. There is a lid for one with no matching container. Conversely, there is a differently sized rectangular Tupperware container without a lid. There are also a fair number of other lids which do not match any of the lidless containers.

I think that somewhere in the universe, in the same solar system as the planet Single Sock, there is a planet known as Containers Only, circled by its moon, Lids Only.
Well the single sock place is known as the hozone. Let me think about the Tupperware universe.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 pm

I got rid of my Rubbermaid containers and invested in some Tupperware Flat Out containers.

They take up less space and with just three sizes it's more likely that you will be able to match a lid up to a bowl.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#5 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:39 pm

kayrharris wrote:You are not alone! I'm sick to death of searching for lids....I have dozens of them as well as dozens of containers, none of which seem to belong to each other! :oops:

I did invest in some more expensive containers with really nice lids. A set of about 10 different sizes. Haven't lost a lid or container yet. Just give me a little more time. 8)
Lock and Locks?

Back when I had a kitchen with tons of storage room (a galley kitchen, so no floor space but two long walls of floor to ceiling cabinets and drawers), it was impossible for me to throw away a cottage cheese container, a yogurt cup (changing to peel off only lids was a blessing to me) or a sherbet tub. I even had a set of Anchor Hocking containers, but still couldn't throw anything away.

I worked on this when I was in therapy.

Step 1: I had to take out everything plastic that wasn't part of the set and match up lids with containers. The rule was any container or lid that didn't have a mate HAD to be thrown out.

Step 2: One month later I had to take out everything again and follow step 1. Then any duplicates I had, half of them had to be tossed. If I couldn't bring myself to toss that 9th cottage cheese container, I had to toss one of something else to keep them even.

Step 3: One month later, I had to take everything (if I couldn't do it, I could keep one of each type) and box it up and put it in the garage.

Step 4: One month later, you guessed it, I had to take all that was left and box it up.

As I could, I had to throw away the boxes unopened.

A similar concept was used with other things as well. As far as the plastic stuff goes, I think I'm down to one box in the garage I haven't been able to let go of yet, along with one box of old pots and pans that we worked on in a similar fashion.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

gsabc wrote:Our plastic containers fell on me once too often today as I put away the clean dishes out of the dishwasher. I drug out every last one of the suckers, along with their lids, from all the places we stash them, determined to match them up.

You would be surprised how many excess lids we end up with at work because people will buy containers and then forget to get the lid for it. Our more popular selling totes will often have anywhere from 10-20 excess lids in the lid bin before we'll finally just have to throw them away.

The same thing happens in my area with the detatchable wringers in the mop buckets.....

lb13

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#7 Post by Here's Fanny! » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:02 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:You would be surprised how many excess lids we end up with at work because people will buy containers and then forget to get the lid for it. Our more popular selling totes will often have anywhere from 10-20 excess lids in the lid bin before we'll finally just have to throw them away.

The same thing happens in my area with the detatchable wringers in the mop buckets.....

lb13
Does this mean that I don't have to feel guilty when I accidentally pick up two lids instead of one and don't realize it until I get home and pry them apart?
Spoiler

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Here's Fanny! wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:You would be surprised how many excess lids we end up with at work because people will buy containers and then forget to get the lid for it. Our more popular selling totes will often have anywhere from 10-20 excess lids in the lid bin before we'll finally just have to throw them away.

lb13
Does this mean that I don't have to feel guilty when I accidentally pick up two lids instead of one and don't realize it until I get home and pry them apart?

Nope, you probably did the store a favor.

Our overnight manager took all the excess trash can lids we had this winter and handed them out to kids to use as sleds when it snowed. May as well find some use for them....

lb13

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Our overnight manager took all the excess trash can lids we had this winter and handed them out to kids to use as sleds when it snowed. May as well find some use for them....

lb13
Geez, ship a couple to me! We are constantly losing trash can lids when the stoopid "sanitation engineers" throw them into the street instead of putting them back on the can or even just tossing them into the yard. The wind and passing cars take care of the rest. I've been saying for years that Rubbermaid is missing a chunk of sales by not selling the lids separately, as well as with the barrel.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 am

I do not suffer from this problem.

My tops are on one side of the drawer and the bottoms are on the other.

I throw away any bottom that does not have a top and toss any top that does not have a bottom.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 am

peacock2121 wrote:I do not suffer from this problem.

I throw away any bottom that does not have a top and toss any top that does not have a bottom.
This makes too much sense.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 am

What do you do when you find the missing one?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 am

ulysses5019 wrote:

This makes too much sense.
I have been accused of that before.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 am

Why do that when we have Press and Seal? I love that stuff!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#15 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:57 am

My containers are like my kids--I got a bunch and they don't always do things the way I want them to, but I can tolerate the mess 363 days a year. Maybe twice a year I whip them back into shape. Right now, I have a bunch of absentees because I send food home with my dad and he only remembers to bring back the containers every three months or so. He wandered by around dinner time last night, but the food was ziploc kinda stuff, so no containers were necessary.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#16 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 am

minimetoo26 wrote:My containers are like my kids--I got a bunch and they don't always do things the way I want them to, but I can tolerate the mess 363 days a year. Maybe twice a year I whip them back into shape. Right now, I have a bunch of absentees because I send food home with my dad and he only remembers to bring back the containers every three months or so. He wandered by around dinner time last night, but the food was ziploc kinda stuff, so no containers were necessary.
Ever since they've started putting deli meat in those Reynolds and Gladware containers, I've amassed quite a collection. I keep the population under control by bringing things to family members (apparently I'm the only one who can manage to make tapioca pudding from scratch) and telling them to keep the container.

Since the vast majority are the Reynolds types, I use the clear top Wal-Mart ones and the red top Gladware ones for the giveaways so I can have a matching set of blue tops. Ha!
Spoiler

peacock2121

#17 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:

What do you do when you find the missing one?
The same thing I did with the part that wasn't missing, silly boy.

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 am

Are you not familiar with the classic Avram Davidson SF story in which wire hangers, bicycles & one other common household object (prolly paper clips; I forget) are actually all 3 different aspects of one alien lifeform, & so can therefore metamorphose into each other (& drive people who were looking for one of the other forms batty)?

"And All The Sea With Oysters", I think. Unless that is another classic Davidson story. I should look it up.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 am

ghostjmf wrote:Are you not familiar with the classic Avram Davidson SF story in which wire hangers, bicycles & one other common household object (prolly paper clips; I forget) are actually all 3 different aspects of one alien lifeform, & so can therefore metamorphose into each other (& drive people who were looking for one of the other forms batty)?

"And All The Sea With Oysters", I think. Unless that is another classic Davidson story. I should look it up.
What about socks?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#20 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:Are you not familiar with the classic Avram Davidson SF story in which wire hangers, bicycles & one other common household object (prolly paper clips; I forget) are actually all 3 different aspects of one alien lifeform, & so can therefore metamorphose into each other (& drive people who were looking for one of the other forms batty)?

What about socks?
I bet they all drowned when the island moved.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.