TRIVIAL PURSUIT - auditions start Monday. So who's going?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Re: trivia question reject

#26 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Second Chance wrote:At the mall search, they said my favorite trivia question was too obscure and vetoed it:

What comic had her TV sitcom debut playing Margo Van Meter - the wacky, man-hungry receptionist in a frenzied real estate office?
Spoiler

Ellen Degeneres in Fox's 1989-90 "Open House" which also starred Allison La Placa, Danny Gans, & Chris Lemmon - and was a kind of spin-off from the show "Duet"
I watched that show and liked it. At this point she is more accurately described as a talk-show host than a comic, though.

I agree with them it is too hard for most contestants. Sorry.
But the show is called "Trivial Pursuit." If most people knew the answer, it wouldn't be trivia.
I thought I said most contestants, not most people.

We don't know the difficulty level they are shooting for. If "gettability" is on their list of quality traits, that particular question is pretty hard, as not many people watched the show or learned that fact.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

TheConfessor

#27 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Ritterskoop wrote: I thought I said most contestants, not most people.
And I thought most contestants would be people. Although there is a game show for cats in the works.

Ritterskoop

#28 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:32 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
And I thought most contestants would be people. Although there is a game show for cats in the works.
Contestants are a subset of people - a subset expected to know more trivia than the larger set.

Cats are also people.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

o-man

#29 Post by o-man » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Second Chance wrote: Hey, o-man- you too! Hotline alert: 323-762-7359
I don't care what Bonnie Raitt says- you CAN make them love you!!! unless of course there's some pesky restraining order on file...
Sorry! The AP called today and we concluded that this round of auditions is not far enough removed from my most recent appearance on the J! show. But I will wish you guys all the best and maybe a recap so I can get a heads-up for when I call 'em again in October! How's that? :)

gsabc

#30 Post by gsabc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
Contestants are a subset of people - a subset expected to know more trivia than the larger set.

Cats are also people.
Cats are just small people with fur and fangs. -- Garfield
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#31 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Cats are also people.
Right on, sister!

You may have noticed that I differentiate between two-footers and four-footers, but I figure that we're all people and we're all in this together.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#32 Post by sunflower » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 pm

PSM - Did you go today? How was it?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#33 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#34 Post by secondchance » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Second Chance wrote:
jsuchard wrote:I'm going on Tuesday.I got a call from them last Thursday, inviting me to audition. Apparently, this show has the same chief contestant coordinator that worked on Merv Griffin's Crosswords. She must have put my name on a list of good people to recruit for gameshows.
Well, good luck & hope to hear how it went! I got a call as well, stemming from the "America Submit a Question" day interview. I hope this turns out to be a good one. I was informed that if you win on this show, you can return indefinitely, kinda like "J," so the cash is indefinite as well. Just not sure how much potential is in the kitty.
Update: I went last week, went well - even passed the test without my beloved multiple choice. Went on to play against an opponent and won, so we'll see. Am almost inspired enough to try the humiliating J! test again... ah, probably not.

But I need to clarify something I posted earlier - as of Thursday, they've done away with the "indefinite return" and gone to the "one day, one play" system, and that you could win from $5 - $25,000. Poo.
Auditions are still being booked, call early on Monday to be booked for the following week. It was a pretty mellow process, and the over 35 crowd has an advantage as far as the pop culture questions are concerned. Now whether they want to use us is a different story...

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#35 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Second Chance wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
jsuchard wrote:I'm going on Tuesday.I got a call from them last Thursday, inviting me to audition. Apparently, this show has the same chief contestant coordinator that worked on Merv Griffin's Crosswords. She must have put my name on a list of good people to recruit for gameshows.
Well, good luck & hope to hear how it went! I got a call as well, stemming from the "America Submit a Question" day interview. I hope this turns out to be a good one. I was informed that if you win on this show, you can return indefinitely, kinda like "J," so the cash is indefinite as well. Just not sure how much potential is in the kitty.
Update: I went last week, went well - even passed the test without my beloved multiple choice. Went on to play against an opponent and won, so we'll see. Am almost inspired enough to try the humiliating J! test again... ah, probably not.

But I need to clarify something I posted earlier - as of Thursday, they've done away with the "indefinite return" and gone to the "one day, one play" system, and that you could win from $5 - $25,000. Poo.
Auditions are still being booked, call early on Monday to be booked for the following week. It was a pretty mellow process, and the over 35 crowd has an advantage as far as the pop culture questions are concerned. Now whether they want to use us is a different story...
Congratulations! I will be testing the waters this coming Friday.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.