Post-Halloween scare

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Post-Halloween scare

#1 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:17 am

Got my flu shot this AM, and driving to work, heard a breaking story of a double murder in the area. In the town where my son lives. On the street where he just moved. The reported ages of the victims were wrong, though, so I just wondered where on the street it happened.

While paying for breakfast (went off early without it to get the flu shot), cell phone rings. It's GW, asking if I'd heard about the shooting. She's home for some contractors, and saw it on the TV news. This station reported one of the ages to be the same as HS. And the TV camera view, in the dark, looked to her like his apartment building. She had already called the police there, and been reassured that HS was okay, it was someone else. Still don't know if it was his apartment building, though.

I looked at my phone after getting to work, and saw that GW had tried to call four times before. The phone was on soft ring instead of vibrate, so I didn't hear it over the road noise. GW did not sound overly calm on the phone. We're still waiting for an AIM response from HS.

The rest of the day almost has to be better, the "almost" indicating that I'm not challenging "Worse". I'm trying meditation. Alcohol tonight is not out of the question.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 am

Yikes!

Let us know when you hear from your son.

christie1111
11:11

Re: Post-Halloween scare

#3 Post by christie1111 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:39 am

gsabc wrote:. We're still waiting for an AIM response from HS.

Soon please.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:08 am

I am glad that the tragedy did not strike close to home.

May the family of those it did strike be strong.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Okay, I'm glad the radio didn't have the right ages, or else I would have driven straight to HS's apartment and pounded the door till he got up. It was his building, and the killings were in the apartment right next to his. Police don't think it was random, but the latest news video shows what looks like a kicked-in door lock, and the ex of one of the victims says it was a retaliation for some event "in the street". Police aren't saying, probably from lack of hard information.

HS is deaf, but "heard" a loud noise, then nothing till about 15 minutes later, when he went out and found the police everywhere. They asked him if he buzzed anyone in, or knew the two guys, or heard anything. He's a bit scared now, too. Hadn't heard that they were dead. Didn't know either of them except to say hello if they passed by on the stairs. Doesn't want to go out in case he gets on TV news. Is worried about this maybe being a gang thing with someone wanting to get rid of "witnesses". Can't blame him.

I'm trying to reassure him that his idea isn't likely, that this was a targeted victim and since he didn't see or hear anything, he'll be okay. Not certain it's working. More if or when I find out.
Last edited by gsabc on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 pm

gsabc wrote:Okay, I'm glad the radio didn't have the right ages, or else I would have driven straight to HS's apartment and pounded the door till he got up. It was[/i] his building, and the killings were in the apartment right next to his. Police don't think it was random, but the latest news video shows what looks like a kicked-in door lock, and the ex of one of the victims says it was a retaliation for some event "in the street". Police aren't saying, probably from lack of hard information.

HS is deaf, but "heard" a loud noise, then nothing till about 15 minutes later, when he went out and found the police everywhere. They asked him if he buzzed anyone in, or knew the two guys, or heard anything. He's a bit scared now, too. Hadn't heard that they were dead. Didn't know either of them except to say hello if they passed by on the stairs. Doesn't want to go out in case he gets on TV news. Is worried about this maybe being a gang thing with someone wanting to get rid of "witnesses". Can't blame him.

I'm trying to reassure him that his idea isn't likely, that this was a targeted victim and since he didn't see or hear anything, he'll be okay. Not certain it's working. More if or when I find out.

What a relief! Glad everything turned out all right.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:12 pm

That is way too close for comfort!
gsabc wrote: I'm trying to reassure him that his idea isn't likely, that this was a targeted victim and since he didn't see or hear anything, he'll be okay. Not certain it's working. More if or when I find out.
That might be true, but I wouldn't want my face getting on the news in these circumstances, either.

fuzzywuzzy

#8 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:51 pm

gsabc wrote:

gsabc...glad to hear all has turned out ok for now. I hope HS can relax, and know that he will be alright!

sending +++++ vibes to gsabc & HS!

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Poor guy. I can appreciate his concern. Hope he talks to the police and that they can be forthcoming enough to calm his fears or to let him know he should be afraid.

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:39 pm

Glad to hear that HS is OK. But, yeah, way too close for comfort.

a1mamacat

#11 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Yikes, what a scare.

Sending you some good thoughts.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

gsabc

#12 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 am

Link to the story, with a photo of the apartment.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2007110 ... 20622/1116

HS is doing okay as of last night. Things were a bit calmer in the neighborhood by then. Said it was a bit creepy knowing he lived next to an apartment where two people were killed. I agreed.

His comment on the article: "Ugh, stupid humans." Made me chuckle.

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:38 pm

This has taken too long to sink in. I hope they catch the SOB's who did this, and feel sorry for the surviving family of the victims. However, I am glad that the shooters were smart enough to locate their victims and kicked in the correct door! HS's door is less than ten feet away.

NOW I think I'll freak out.

gs, shaking a bit