the Halloween wedding recap

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

the Halloween wedding recap

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:17 am

I should start by pointing out that my son and his new bride are wonderful people but neither of them are particularly gifted with the skill of organization. Thus most of the day was spent in trying to manage chaos. There were transportation issues to deal with - none of the other bridal party members or friends had cars (or were willing to spend the gasoline required to come) so they had to be picked up. My oldest son also had car problems so he and his girlfriend (who was a bridesmaid) had to be picked up also. I ended up riding the bus to the church, where we all met to don our costumes before going to the park for the ceremony. The reception was also going to be there (a picnic lunch) but there wasn't room for the food, so it wasn't until after the ceremony that someone went back to the church to get the food, and the cake never made it at all (a communication problem between the baker and my son - she thought it was an evening wedding). My sons dressed in pseudo-medieval/Renaissance/fantasy garb, while the bride wore a wedding dress that looked suitable (it was really lovely).

We had one minor pre-wedding incident. One of the friends of the couple came dressed as a box of tissues, with the words "Blow Me" as the brand name. The minister thought this was an inappropriate costume and asked my son to ask the friend to remove the costume. There was some discussion, but the friend acquiesced.

The weather was ideal - temperature in the mid-60s and slightly breezy. The minister (my pastor) carried off the service with a great deal of dignity and sanctity despite the costumes - at one point he even put on a Groucho nose-and-glasses. There was the exchange of vows and rings, and all the usual accoutrements of a wedding. If I had any misgivings before, I came away convinced that they really do love each other and this wasn't just a whimsical act on their part.

The reception was, as noted above, a picnic lunch prepared by the bride and groom, featuring sandwiches, chips, drinks, and desserts, so even without the wedding cake there was plenty. Unfortunately some of those in attendance left before the food could be brought back, so there were lots of leftovers. The bridesmaid bouquets didn't get used - they were at the wedding but someone forgot to take them out of the bag and distribute them; we did get pictures of the bridesmaids with their flowers later.

All in all it was a very nice ceremony.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:23 am

What did you dress as?

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:34 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:What did you dress as?
Matthew, son of Alphaeus, tax collector and scribe, and disciple of Jesus. I'm looking through the pictures elwing took to see if I can find any of me. So far all I've found are photos of the back of my head.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:47 am

Matthew, son of Alphaeus, tax collector and scribe, and disciple of Jesus.
Good choice!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:49 am

So far all I've found are photos of the back of my head.

...ahhh...so she got your best side?!?! You shoulda hired a professional...hint, hint....
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:54 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Matthew, son of Alphaeus, tax collector and scribe, and disciple of Jesus.
Good choice!
For several reasons - on Wednesday nights I collect the money that people pay for dinner, sitting behind a table. Matthew 9 describes Matthew as "sitting at the tax booth" collecting tolls and fees. Plus I'm the church clerk, meaning that I take minutes for all official meetings, and Matthew is considered to be a scribe.

MarleysGh0st

Re: the Halloween wedding recap

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:13 am

earendel wrote:My sons dressed in pseudo-medieval/Renaissance/fantasy garb
Isn't that everyday wear for elves? :)

So every detail of the event didn't go off flawlessly--I still think the entire wedding production industry is a rip-off, anyway.

I wish the bride and groom a lifetime of happiness. Which is far more important than the food or the bouquets or the bus used as a limo substitute.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:15 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:So every detail of the event didn't go off flawlessly--I still think the entire wedding production industry is a rip-off, anyway.
For the most part I agree with you.
MarleysGh0st wrote:I wish the bride and groom a lifetime of happiness. Which is far more important than the food or the bouquets or the bus used as a limo substitute.
Yes indeed. And it appears that they will be.

Now if I could just figure out how to post pictures within messages I'd do a couple.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:21 am

earendel wrote: Now if I could just figure out how to post pictures within messages I'd do a couple.
I haven't embedded images before, but I think they have to be posted online somewhere (not just on your own PC), then you can surround a link to them with the "Img" button.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: Now if I could just figure out how to post pictures within messages I'd do a couple.
I haven't embedded images before, but I think they have to be posted online somewhere (not just on your own PC), then you can surround a link to them with the "Img" button.
That could be a problem - I wonder if posting them to Phoenix 2 would do the trick.

VAdame

#11 Post by VAdame » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 am

Click on the [ Img ] button at the top (no spaces) -- paste the URL -- click on it again to close.

If you need a place to store your pix online, Photobucket is a good site.

Best wishes to the happy couple!

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Was wondering how things went.

Glad to see that, in spite of the minor glitches, things went well.

And many good wishes for the bride & groom

traininvain

#13 Post by traininvain » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:09 pm

earendel wrote:If I had any misgivings before, I came away convinced that they really do love each other and this wasn't just a whimsical act on their part.

All in all it was a very nice ceremony.
Well that's all that really matters. I lifetime of health & happiness for the newlyweds , and congatulations to you.
Enjoy every sandwich