Radiation

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Radiation

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:52 am

There is a new kind of radiation that can be used for post operative breast cancer care.

If the tumor is smaller than 3 cm and the patient is older than 45 and there is no lymph node involvement

There is an alternative to the 6 or 7 weeks of 5 days a week radiation.

The surgeon inserts a catheter and radiation is deliver 2 times a day for 5 days (in a row) and you are done.

It has given my m-i-l such relief. She was paralyzed at the prospect of having to get out of the house 5 days a week for 6 weeks and having to be somewhere.

If you have ever given money to breast cancer research - it is making a difference.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Radiation

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 am

peacock2121 wrote:There is a new kind of radiation that can be used for post operative breast cancer care.

If the tumor is smaller than 3 cm and the patient is older than 45 and there is no lymph node involvement

The surgeon inserts a catheter and radiation is deliver 2 times a day for 5 days (in a row) and you are done.

It has given my m-i-l such relief. She was paralyzed at the prospect of having to get out of the house 5 days a week for 6 weeks and having to be somewhere.

If you have ever given money to breast cancer research - it is making a difference.
This is AWESOME. I've thought that if I ever had a recurrence I would not go through radiation again. This, however, I could do.
Well, then

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 am

Beebs52 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:There is a new kind of radiation that can be used for post operative breast cancer care.

This is AWESOME. I've thought that if I ever had a recurrence I would not go through radiation again. This, however, I could do.
That is exactly what my m-i-l said :

I can do that.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 am

Didn't a BB have something similar to that last year or so?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

christie1111
11:11

#5 Post by christie1111 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 am

Well, we have donated since Husband1111's sister died at 43.

I am glad the treatment is getting better.

Women shouldn't be dying at 43 of this anymore.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

It may have been Junebug. I'm not sure about what exactly she had treatment wise.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

It may have been Junebug. I'm not sure about what exactly she had treatment wise.
Yes! It was her.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Didn't a BB have something similar to that last year or so?
Yes! It was her.
I did not read that - it was all a big and happy surprise to me.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Didn't a BB have something similar to that last year or so?
Yes! It was her.
She gave a name to her tumor, but I can't remember what it was. Howard? Larry? Marvin?

Calling the archivist!

Tocqueville3

#10 Post by Tocqueville3 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:16 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: It may have been Junebug. I'm not sure about what exactly she had treatment wise.
Yes! It was her.
She gave a name to her tumor, but I can't remember what it was. Howard? Larry? Marvin?

Calling the archivist!
I think June might have named her tumor Leonard. I'm not quite sure, though.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#11 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 pm

We lost Jennifer. a friend and co-worker this time last year to breast cancer, age 35. Her birthday is July 19, the same as my son. I will be a little sad on his birthday this year.
:(

Cancer research is critical to saving lives. Unfortunately, when you get it young, it's usually more aggressive. Similar to what happened to Tony Snow and his mom with their colon cancer.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Tocqueville3

#12 Post by Tocqueville3 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

kayrharris wrote:We lost Jennifer. a friend and co-worker this time last year to breast cancer, age 35. Her birthday is July 19, the same as my son. I will be a little sad on his birthday this year.
:(

Cancer research is critical to saving lives. Unfortunately, when you get it young, it's usually more aggressive. Similar to what happened to Tony Snow and his mom with their colon cancer.
July 19 is also my birthday. I will be 36.

35 is too young to die.

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm

It's good to read about this treatment.