The School Crotch Inspector

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

The School Crotch Inspector

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 pm

There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it's perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible. The first group includes officials at Safford Middle School in Safford, Arizona, who in 2003 forced eighth-grader Savana Redding to prove she was not concealing Advil in her crotch or cleavage.

Full story:
http://www.reason.com/news/show/125786.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm

Just what I want....Advil I've been storing in my crotch!! :evil:

Pluz-eez!!!!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: The School Crotch Inspector

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it's perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible. The first group includes officials at Safford Middle School in Safford, Arizona, who in 2003 forced eighth-grader Savana Redding to prove she was not concealing Advil in her crotch or cleavage.

Full story:
http://www.reason.com/news/show/125786.html
Ahhhh, crotch pot cooking.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Apply directly where it hurts. Apply directly where it hurts....

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#5 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:03 pm

I am so relieved. When I saw the subject line, I thought this was going to be an embarrassing thread about Lizbit.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:10 pm

As a parent, I would be furious if my child was strip searched without my permission.

I like this quote:
Later, she recalled, the principal, Robert Beeman, said "he did not think the strip search was a big deal because they did not find anything."
I wonder how he would feel if he was strip searched by a secretary. I am sure that they would find nothing in his underpants too.
Safford Middle School has a "zero tolerance" policy that prohibits possession of all drugs, including not just alcohol and illegal intoxicants but prescription medications and over-the-counter remedies, "except those for which permission to use in school has been granted."
At the middle school that Maddie was pulled out of, Maddie had permission to carry around an EpiPen. I was told by the school nurse that Maddie wasn't allowed to tell anyone that she had it and that if it was stolen it would be considered Maddie's fault. So basically, if Maddie went into anaphylactic shock from eating a peanut, she would have to have the presence of mind to give herself an injection, while choking to death, and hope that nobody tried to get high by stealing the pen from her.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm

This seems to come up every so often amongst the idiots who are let loose in our school systems. Some hysterical idiot at our school system ordered the strip search of an entire drama class at an off-campus theatre because the teacher went nuts over some money being stolen out of her purse. My money was on somebody at the threatre stealing the money because I'd had $45 stolen out of my purse there when I was stupid enough to leave it unattended, but the teacher's money was never found, mine either.

Then it came up a couple years later back east, and somebody here posted about it. I was actually relieved, thinking wow! we don't have the stupidest people in the universe in our school system.

Now I feel bad for feeling relieved and for the young person in this new case. They're just idiots -- if it gets to that point, call law enforcement, the people who know what they're doing. If there's no case, they're done. If there is a case, it's handled properly. Our judicial district has mandatory Youth Advocates who are called in when the suspect is under 18, so that probably influences my thinking.

The person who ordered the strip searches at the theatre was eventually fired after due process, and I hope whoever was in charge of this case will be too.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:45 am

Zero tolerance policies usually end up becoming zero thought policies. Just do the same thing under any and all circumstances. Heroin? Aspirin? Who cares? What's the difference? To paraphrase from an infamous historical event, "Strip search 'em all and let the courts decide the guilty."

Common sense is an oxymoron in far too many cases.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

macrae1234

#9 Post by macrae1234 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Terrific!!! Oral Arguements about an underwear and bra search
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 pm

At my most recent airport trip, for my cousin's funeral, I was patted down. They offerred as an explanation "you are wearing blousy clothes". I made some kind of lame joke about "next time I'll show up in a swimsuit, & you'll all be sorry". I guess I should be happy they didn't take it as some sort of threat.

At a previous airport trip security had me take off my overshirt. Clearly there was a t-shirt under it, though.

This is all done in a business-like manner, we all know they're just trying to determine if I'm a terrorist, because of course I look like one, & there so far have been no cavity searches.

I am happy there were no cavity searches on the kid in the story either, but nekkid to the underwear is humiliating enough for a kid.

Advil? You can get high from Advil? Last Advil I took was at the oral surgeon's command, & it did make me sleepy. Its never done that before, but I've usually been told to take it before some nervous-making medical procedure; this time was "after".