Driving Route advice

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Driving Route advice

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm

I am driving to Michigan over two days Friday and Saturday.

Ultimate destination is a little northwest of Ann Arbor.

Should I turn North at Memphis and take the Indiana route (includes Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne), or go to Nashville before turning north and go up through western Ohio (route includes Bowling Green KY, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton, Bowling Green OH & Ann Arbor).

According to Google Maps, the difference in mileage is only 30, so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. I just wonder which route might provide better scenery.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob Juch

Re: Driving Route advice

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:I am driving to Michigan over two days Friday and Saturday.

Should I turn North at Memphis and take the Indiana route (includes Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne), or go to Nashville before turning north and go up through western Ohio (route includes Bowling Green KY, Louisville, Cincinnati, Dayton, Bowling Green OH & Ann Arbor).

According to Google Maps, the difference in mileage is only 30, so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. I just wonder which route might provide better scenery.
I'd prefer the Nashville route by far, but that may be just me.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Without wanting to offend anyone from the fair state of Indiana...my impression of Indiana is as follows:

Indiana = Corn

Okay, in fairness, I think you'll hit a Cheesecake Factory in Indianapolis...then back to corn.

I vote for the other route!! :)

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:14 pm

sunflower wrote:Without wanting to offend anyone from the fair state of Indiana...my impression of Indiana is as follows:

Indiana = Corn

Okay, in fairness, I think you'll hit a Cheesecake Factory in Indianapolis...then back to corn.

Indianapolis has two Hooters too. :twisted:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Snaxx

#5 Post by Snaxx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:15 pm

sunflower wrote:Without wanting to offend anyone from the fair state of Indiana...my impression of Indiana is as follows:

Indiana = Corn

I miss Corn. I think the whole bored misses Corn.

TheCalvinator24

#6 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:23 pm

Another option is to go north up to Tulsa, then northwest across Missouri.

major cities include: Springfield MO, St Louis, Springfield IL, Bloomington IL, Gary IN, Kalamazoo.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:45 pm

You know, I live here, love it here, and even I'm telling you to avoid Indiana. Once you get past about Vincennes, it's is some of the most boring and painful driving ever. Add to that the fact that I-70 (I'm assuming that's the one you're taking between Terrible Haute and Indy) carries more semi-trailer traffic than any interstate I"ve ever seen, and it's a hard route to recommend.

You might run into more construction coming up from Nashville, but if I were driving it, that's the way I'd come.

Now you could come up to St. Louis, then take I-64 across southern Indiana. Believe it or not, it's a much prettier drive -- you cut through the Hoosier National Forest, and the geography is rolling hills, rather than all cornfields. You could pick up your Ohio interstate once you got past Louisville.

And, if you feel like a rest stop somewhere around Evansville, you could give me a call. I-64 passes within about 15 miles of my house.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

otherindigo

#8 Post by otherindigo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Indiana = Corn

Hooters? Heck Texarkana has a Hooters now, therefore Hooters means nada.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#9 Post by sunflower » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Indiana = Corn

I do like their food, sadly.

I think there is a PF Chang's too, yum! They're building one about 10 minutes from my house and I can't wait!!! Although I said the same thing about the Cheesecake Factory and since it opened last November, I've never gone there.

But I digress, even for PF Changs, I wouldn't drive through Indiana!

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#10 Post by hermillion » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 pm

FWIW - if you take the Ft. Wayne route, you could pay homage at my high-school-years home, and the HS from which I graduated. It's not a national monument, yet.

OTOH - if you come through Tulsa I'll buy you coffee!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 am

mrkelley23 wrote:You know, I live here, love it here, and even I'm telling you to avoid Indiana. Once you get past about Vincennes, it's is some of the most boring and painful driving ever. Add to that the fact that I-70 (I'm assuming that's the one you're taking between Terrible Haute and Indy) carries more semi-trailer traffic than any interstate I"ve ever seen, and it's a hard route to recommend.

You might run into more construction coming up from Nashville, but if I were driving it, that's the way I'd come.

Now you could come up to St. Louis, then take I-64 across southern Indiana. Believe it or not, it's a much prettier drive -- you cut through the Hoosier National Forest, and the geography is rolling hills, rather than all cornfields. You could pick up your Ohio interstate once you got past Louisville.

And, if you feel like a rest stop somewhere around Evansville, you could give me a call. I-64 passes within about 15 miles of my house.
I second mrkelley's recommendation. And Louisville has Hooters, a Cheesecake Factory and a PF Chang's, and I can throw in Kaelin's Restaurant, where the cheeseburger was invented, and the Louisville Slugger bat museum.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:41 am

I try to eat at Kaelin's every time I go home....even if I have to skip White Castle. :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:03 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:I am driving to Michigan over two days Friday and Saturday.
I hope you took out a second mortgage to pay for the gas.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:12 am

Why don't you pick up kazoo and take her to an audition.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ne1410s

#15 Post by ne1410s » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 am

Why don't you pick up kazoo and take her to an audition.
As God is my witness, I spewed Gatorade!
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."