Notes from the Home Run Derby

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
nitrah55

Notes from the Home Run Derby

#1 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:04 am

- Beloved Son and I got there in time for the workout at 5:30. Spent time playing All-Star Game version of "Out of State License Plates." We spotted fans wearing stuff from every MLB team but three: Padres, Rockies and Blue Jays.

- We were sitting in the next-to-last row of left field bleachers. There's a big advertisement for the Chevy Malibu- we were directly under the front door. Very few balls in the Derby were hit to left, understandably, since Yankee Stadium is famous for its short porch in right field.

- There was a parade of team mascots. Atlanta's is the lamest of the group- a pale imitation of Mr. Met, who was booed and did his best "You want a piece of me?" mime. The Green Monster from Boston was not in attendance. Best is still Phillie Phanatic. That said, I still hold the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs in high regard because they do not have mascots.

- Josh Hamilton. My, my. Saw balls hit farther than I've ever seen, in places I've never seen them hit. Longest was an upper deck shot at 518 feet. No one has ever hit one out of Yankee Stadium, but last night everyone in the place thought he could do it. He's such a great story, too. Overcame serious drug abuse, finds God and is tearing up the AL. He deserves good stuff.
I am about 25% sure of this.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:18 am

Glad you had fun.

I'd make a great mascot.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Notes from the Home Run Derby

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 am

nitrah55 wrote:- Beloved Son and I got there in time for the workout at 5:30. Spent time playing All-Star Game version of "Out of State License Plates." We spotted fans wearing stuff from every MLB team but three: Padres, Rockies and Blue Jays.

- We were sitting in the next-to-last row of left field bleachers. There's a big advertisement for the Chevy Malibu- we were directly under the front door. Very few balls in the Derby were hit to left, understandably, since Yankee Stadium is famous for its short porch in right field.

- There was a parade of team mascots. Atlanta's is the lamest of the group- a pale imitation of Mr. Met, who was booed and did his best "You want a piece of me?" mime. The Green Monster from Boston was not in attendance. Best is still Phillie Phanatic. That said, I still hold the Yankees, Dodgers and Cubs in high regard because they do not have mascots.

- Josh Hamilton. My, my. Saw balls hit farther than I've ever seen, in places I've never seen them hit. Longest was an upper deck shot at 518 feet. No one has ever hit one out of Yankee Stadium, but last night everyone in the place thought he could do it. He's such a great story, too. Overcame serious drug abuse, finds God and is tearing up the AL. He deserves good stuff.

Although I've never witnessed a Home Run Derby, I am a regular at batting practice, and I wonder if other BP regulars like me aren't all that Oohed and Aahed by the long balls hit in the Derby. I have seen pedestrian players hit balls into the far reaches of both Busch Stadiums during BP over the years, and it will be interesting to see where next year's contestants hit them when they come here.

One of these years, they should just pick the strongest players, regardless of number of homers hit or All Star status, and just let them rip......

lb13

OCDer
Merry Man

#4 Post by OCDer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:35 am

nitrah55 wrote:-

- Josh Hamilton. My, my. Saw balls hit farther than I've ever seen, in places I've never seen them hit. Longest was an upper deck shot at 518 feet. No one has ever hit one out of Yankee Stadium, but last night everyone in the place thought he could do it.

It would seem someone is forgetting another Josh. Josh Gibson.

nitrah55

#5 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am

OCDer wrote:

- Josh Hamilton. My, my. Saw balls hit farther than I've ever seen, in places I've never seen them hit. Longest was an upper deck shot at 518 feet. No one has ever hit one out of Yankee Stadium, but last night everyone in the place thought he could do it.

Let me ask you about that.

I have heard that there was a home run hit out of Yankee Stadium during a Negro League game, but that no one had ever confirmed this, records for those games having been sketchy or lost or both.

Wikipedia says the Sporting News reported in 1967 (well after the fact) that he hit one 580 feet to the top of the wall, and that Jack Marshall of the Chicago American Giants said that Gibson hit one out in 1934, but there doesn't appear to be any supporting documentation for this.

Is there?

Has this been finally documented?
I am about 25% sure of this.

peacock2121

#6 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:51 am

There was a peacock trying out for BAM when suitguy was trying out.

I thought "This would make a greak mascot"

The Peoria Peacocks.

The Pleasantville Peacocks

The Poughtown Peacocks

I would make a great peacock.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:55 am

peacock2121 wrote:There was a peacock trying out for BAM when suitguy was trying out.

The Peoria Peacocks.

The Poughtown Peacocks

Do you have a costume?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:There was a peacock trying out for BAM when suitguy was trying out.

The Peoria Peacocks.

The Poughtown Peacocks

Do you have a costume?
I don't.

Someone will make me one.

I will wait.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am

nitrah55 wrote:- Beloved Son and I got there in time for the workout at 5:30. Spent time playing All-Star Game version of "Out of State License Plates." We spotted fans wearing stuff from every MLB team but three: Padres, Rockies and Blue Jays.

Before she became a movie star, didn't melly dress up as the Philly Phanatic or maybe his better half.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#10 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Before she became a movie star, didn't melly dress up as the Philly Phanatic or maybe his better half.
Miss Melly was Phyllis Phanatic. I bet she was the nicest mascot ever.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

MissDenise
Four-Footer

#11 Post by MissDenise » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:04 am

AnnieCamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Miss Melly was Phyllis Phanatic. I bet she was the nicest mascot ever.

/:P\
Actually, missanniecamaro, Pretty Lady is so old she PREDATED the Philly Phanatic.

When Veterans Stadium opened, the Phillies new mascots were colonial dressed kids, Phil and Phillis. But they were only on patches and license plates and the centerfield scoreboard.

The second year, 1972, the front office decided on live mascots. So, that's how Pretty Lady got to be a baseball mascot. Carrying 20 pounds of paper mache on her shoulders.

My Boonie tells her that he fell in love with her legs 30 years before he fell in love with her. They hug. They are silly.

She tells me she has this on her theatrical resume as "Live Character." I also thought she was a live character but you know how these theatrical types are.

When the Phanatic came along, the Phillies retired Phil & Phillis. The scoreboard characters are at Storyland, outside Atlantic City.

The Phillies ressurected Phil & Phillis for the final year of the Vet. Pretty Lady went back for one weekend and ended up working the whole season.

She has many funny Phillis stories - like how the Secret Service made her and Phil take off the costume before the 1976 All-Star Game so they could be checked because President ford was there.

They made it back for the opening on TV - where they waved at America as Al Michaels said "Welcome to Philadelphia." But it was close.

The last year of the Vet, she worked alongside such luminaries as Spongebob Squarepants and Jimmy Neutron on Nickelodeon weekend.

There was a big rain delay and there were many little kids in the concourse and one little boy was so excited to see Spongebob that he held on so tight and ripped him. He cried but Spongebob told him it would be OK.

But Pretty Lady helped the nice man from Nickelodeon hot glue Spongebob back together.

The last weekend, the Phillies gave away Phil & Phillis bobblehead dolls. We have several.

Your friend,
Miss Denise

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:10 am

Glad you had a good time.

I heard the Josh Gibson story from my dad but have never seen any confirmation of it.

I thought it was very sweet last year when Ryan Howard, despite not being picked for the game, came back to defend his HRD crown.

I was a little disappointed that there were no Yankees in it even. Yeah, A-rod, I'm talking to you. The last time you were in a HRD, you hit 30 in the second half. so, please, it has bupkis to do with your swing.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#13 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 am

Thank you, Denise, for that wonderful story and excellent history of Mr. Phil and Miss Phillis. (I'm sorry I spelled Miss Phillis's name wrong earlier.) Miss Melly must be a wonderful two-footer to get to do all that, and meet Mr. Spongebob, too!

If he didn't live in a pineapple under the sea, Mr. Spongebob might have had more career choices. I'm wondering whether he'd rather be a baseball player or a scientist like me and Jimmy Neutron. Would you please ask Miss Melly to ask him, if she sees him again?
Sou iu koto de.

OCDer
Merry Man

#14 Post by OCDer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 am

nitrah55 wrote:
OCDer wrote:

Let me ask you about that.

I have heard that there was a home run hit out of Yankee Stadium during a Negro League game, but that no one had ever confirmed this, records for those games having been sketchy or lost or both.

Wikipedia says the Sporting News reported in 1967 (well after the fact) that he hit one 580 feet to the top of the wall, and that Jack Marshall of the Chicago American Giants said that Gibson hit one out in 1934, but there doesn't appear to be any supporting documentation for this.

Is there?

Has this been finally documented?

None that I am aware of other than Jack Marshall's statement.