Mass Senate repeals antimiscegenation law

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Mass Senate repeals antimiscegenation law

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:08 pm

OK, I know the people who don't understand my simple sentences will write "What's Mass?" "What's Senate?" "What's miscegenation?".

So:

Mass is a state, as in -achusetts

Senate is a legislative body

miscegenation is "the mixing of the races".

The law in question was on the books from back in 1920-whatever, or maybe -teen whatever (I should check), saying that you couldn't marry in Mass(achusetts) if your marriage would not be legal in your home state. This was intended to keep brown or yellow or black or red colored people from marrying pinky-beige or light green colored people if their home state would consider the marriage illegal. This was being done as a creepy racist favor to the home states, as interracial marriage was not at the time illegal in Mass(achusetts).

Nowadays, its being used to ban out-of-state homosexual couples (whatever their body shade) from marrying in Mass(achusetts).

Relax, anti-gay-marriage fans, the Mass(achusetts) House (another legislative body) has to repeal this law too. But its a fair bet it will. Finally.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm

This was intended to keep brown or yellow or black or red colored people from marrying pinky-beige or light green colored people if their home state would consider the marriage illegal.
We knew that would happen because Capt. Kirk told us so
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.