I put on a thong for this?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: I put on a thong for this?

#26 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: We filled out the paperwork and were getting ready to take the test when my first-cousin-once-removed-in-law walked in. I didn't know that he was working on the show.

This does bring up an interesting question.

How closely related is related?
Apparently, closely enough to recognize a relative on sight.

Bummer, PSM! :(
He sent me an email last night and said that he is one of the producers on the show and elaborated a little more about what his job is. I can see where it might be a conflict.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#27 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:We spent an hour and a half driving to LA to audition for Trivial Pursuit. We waited outside, had our pictures taken and used the studio bathroom.

We filled out the paperwork and were getting ready to take the test when my first-cousin-once-removed-in-law walked in. I didn't know that he was working on the show.

After he saw us, we were told that we could take the test, but we couldn't be on the show, nor could we be one of America's Players.

I missed one question on the test, my husband missed three or four, but we both passed.

Did you shave your legs too?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#28 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:We spent an hour and a half driving to LA to audition for Trivial Pursuit. We waited outside, had our pictures taken and used the studio bathroom.

We filled out the paperwork and were getting ready to take the test when my first-cousin-once-removed-in-law walked in. I didn't know that he was working on the show.

After he saw us, we were told that we could take the test, but we couldn't be on the show, nor could we be one of America's Players.

I missed one question on the test, my husband missed three or four, but we both passed.

I always shave my legs. My husband doesn't appreciate stubble.
Last edited by PlacentiaSoccerMom on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#29 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Then he shouldn't rub your legs!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#30 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Then he shouldn't rub your legs!
Yeah, well, it was our 19th wedding anniversary (and the 24th anniversary of our first date!) so I figured that leg rubbing might have been part of the equation.

peacock2121

#31 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: We filled out the paperwork and were getting ready to take the test when my first-cousin-once-removed-in-law walked in. I didn't know that he was working on the show.

I have first cousins I could bump into and not know who they are. I also have relatives through marriage 4 times removed who I would know from the back from 200 yards away.

I still wonder what the rule is.

tlynn78

#32 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 am

BobJuch is screwed.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#33 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 am

peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: This does bring up an interesting question.

I have first cousins I could bump into and not know who they are. I also have relatives through marriage 4 times removed who I would know from the back from 200 yards away.

I still wonder what the rule is.
I really think recognizing them on sight is a practical way to phrase it. The rule could be very limited--to spouses, siblings, parents and children--but it's more pragmatic treating extended family the same way as friends. If you know those distant relatives by marriage so well, they're friends, and there would be the appearance of impropriety for the game show. If you don't recognize your first cousin, you're virtually strangers.

And while BobJuch might be able to do some research and discover that every single employee of a show is a 15th cousin 8 times removed, through King Edward Longshanks' crazy old aunt...they're still strangers as far as the rule is concerned.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#34 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 am

Going a bit further, you are not supposed to "know" anyone connected with the show. While I was in the green room for one show a lawyer for the show walked in and a friend of his was one of the contestants. Said contestant had to leave. What a bummer.

peacock2121

#35 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 am

tlynn78 wrote:

BobJuch is screwed.

t.
I was going to protest the likelihood of that and then I realized, you were talking figuratively.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#36 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:24 am

Jeff's family is pretty close. Jeff's grandmother and his cousin's mother are identical twins, so the family has often celebrates the major holidays together and they get together for parties. Emma , for instance, sends her cute outgrown clothes to her third cousin in Florida and they have gone to Disneyland together.

Given the lack of relatives who speak to each other on my side of the family, I think that it's neat. I have a half-first cousin that I have never even met, though when she graduation from high school school, I was sent an announcement (request for money). I have third cousins that I have email relationships with because of genealogy, but I have never met them either.

At this point, with the way that the economy is, I am just happy that Jeff's cousin has a job.

mcd1400de

#37 Post by mcd1400de » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:58 am

kayrharris wrote:I can't say that I've ever tasted a rose.
Hmmm.... does a Roseanne count? :wink:
Bazinga!

danielh41

#38 Post by danielh41 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm

My son and I went to the StoneBriar Mall in Frisco, TX about a week and a half ago. Trivial Pursuit was there looking for "people on the street" to ask questions. We both taped a few questions that may or may not make it on the air for the show. We were told that if a contestant misses our question, we could win a portion of the pot (or something like that anyway).

Rexer and I talked briefly about that the day before, when he and I went to the Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader audition, and at the time, I didn't think what they were doing would be worth a trip to Frisco. But my son and I had been wanting to catch a game at the Dr. Pepper Ballpark (the double-A Frisco Roughriders play there), so we went ahead and made the trip.

BTW, Dr. Pepper Ballpark is a fantastic place to watch a ballgame!

PlacentiaSoccerMom'sMom
Merry Man

#39 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom'sMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 pm

Dear, I really think you're giving "TMI" in this post. Except for your little friend called Skippy, I don't think anyone cares about the type of underwear you wore. And just because that rude Uly person asked you an intimate question, that doesn't mean you have to answer it, and then go into more details about your personal life. A little discretion goes a long way. If you need further instruction, I'll be glad to pitch my little tent in your back yard, and give your family lessons about drawing the line.

I've got my own little washing machine now that runs on solar power, so I won't inconvenience you.
There is no burden too great for a mother to bear.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#40 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:44 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom'sMom wrote:Dear, I really think you're giving "TMI" in this post. Except for your little friend called Skippy, I don't think anyone cares about the type of underwear you wore. And just because that rude Uly person asked you an intimate question, that doesn't mean you have to answer it, and then go into more details about your personal life. A little discretion goes a long way. If you need further instruction, I'll be glad to pitch my little tent in your back yard, and give your family lessons about drawing the line.

I've got my own little washing machine now that runs on solar power, so I won't inconvenience you.
You should stick to shaving your legs and not your head.