You thought YOUR first day on the job was bad...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

You thought YOUR first day on the job was bad...

#1 Post by gsabc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:50 am

HOBART, Ind.—Police officer Tim Pochron's first day on the job went poorly: Less than a half-hour into it, his squad car was wrecked in a crash.

Pochron was inside his house at 12:29 a.m. Monday when someone hit his new squad car parked outside, as well as a tree, police said.

"Pochron was 29 minutes into the first day of his new job when his parked squad car was struck," Lt. Steve Houck said.

The driver tested positive for drugs, was arrested and taken to a hospital, police said.

Pochron, 26, was sworn in last week. He was supposed to work the morning shift Monday. Instead, he spent the morning filling out paperwork at the police station.

The force of the crash bent the rear axle of the squad car. Deputy Chief Jeff White said the car can be repaired, though he's not sure how much it will cost.

Pochron "was just heartbroken," White said.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am

How many other officers can make an arrest on some serious charges after 29 minutes on the job?

whittler44

#3 Post by whittler44 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Where did you get that article from? That took place about twenty minutes from where I live, are you also living in NWIndiana?

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:32 pm

whittler44 wrote:Where did you get that article from? That took place about twenty minutes from where I live, are you also living in NWIndiana?
Nope. It went national. I saw it in the "odd news" section of a Boston TV station's website.

Not exactly how you would want to become nationally known. Better than serial killer, I suppose, but still ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

whittler44

#5 Post by whittler44 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Wow... national news! I could think of a lot of things I'd rather be known for nationally, but like you said it could be worse..

Sir_Galahad

Re: You thought YOUR first day on the job was bad...

#6 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm

gsabc wrote:HOBART, Ind.—Police officer Tim Pochron's first day on the job went poorly: Less than a half-hour into it, his squad car was wrecked in a crash.
Sadly, I can relate....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#7 Post by hermillion » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Why was the officer "inside his house" 29 minutes into his first shift? Wasn't he supposed to be on patrol, or something??
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm

hermillion wrote:Why was the officer "inside his house" 29 minutes into his first shift? Wasn't he supposed to be on patrol, or something??
The story never actually said that his first shift had started, just that the day had started and that he was scheduled to work the "morning shift" that day. I don't know when the "morning shift" starts in Hobart, Indiana. Maybe 8 a.m. Maybe midnight. My morning shift usually starts around noon.