I won't be voting for Steven Colbert

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

I won't be voting for Steven Colbert

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Democrats deny Colbert's ballot bid

Comedian Stephen Colbert’s whimsical bid to get on the 2008 ballot for president in his home state is a bust.

The South Carolina Democratic Party's executive committee decided Thursday Colbert would not be included on the ballot.

The S.C. Democratic Presidential Primary is scheduled to be held Jan. 26.

While Colbert, political satirist and self-proclaimed favorite son did not make the ballot, little known Henry Hewes of New York did.

Colbert collected the signatures required to be on the ballot and paid a filing fee.

No word yet of a write-in campaign, or if the Democrats plan to refund Colbert his $2,500 filing fee.

Colbert, host of Comedy Central’s "Colbert Report," toyed with running for president on the S.C. Republican Party’s primary ballot, too. But he reportedly decided to pass on the Republican's $25,000 filing fee.

http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday ... eny-c.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:51 pm

Like you would have anyway.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:38 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Like you would have anyway.
I dunno. I can envision Colbert in a seersucker suit. If only he'd known that was the key....

MarleysGh0st

Re: I won't be voting for Steven Colbert

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
The South Carolina Democratic Party's executive committee decided Thursday Colbert would not be included on the ballot.
Did he not collect sufficient signatures on his petitions or is this an arbitrary decision by the executive committee?

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:18 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Did he not collect sufficient signatures on his petitions or is this an arbitrary decision by the executive committee?
It was a decision by the executive committee. I'm of two minds about this - I think he should have the right to run if he meets the requisite requirements. But BTST he is doing it for the entertainment value, not because he has a realistic shot at winning, and in so doing is making a mockery of the electoral process (some might say it's too late for that).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

eyégor
???????

#6 Post by eyégor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:19 am

If you meet the requirements given to you for inclusion in a primary, you should be able to run, regardless of why you choose to run.

To exclude Colbert puts the SC Democratic primary in a category usually only occupied by sham elections in totalitarian regimes. There is no difference between this barring of a candidate and one based on the likelihood of someone defeating the executive committee's preferred candidate.

sad :cry:

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:21 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
It was a decision by the executive committee. I'm of two minds about this - I think he should have the right to run if he meets the requisite requirements. But BTST he is doing it for the entertainment value, not because he has a realistic shot at winning, and in so doing is making a mockery of the electoral process (some might say it's too late for that).
Just like the NOTA vote, comedians who run to make a point (and get a huge outpouring of popular support in the process) are part of our political system, too. How dare the executive committee reject the voice of the people? :evil:

Especially if they'll leave Henry Hewes of New York, whoever the heck he is, on the ballot...

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Especially if they'll leave Henry Hewes of New York, whoever the heck he is, on the ballot...
According to his official Web site:

http://www.henryhewes.com/about/index.htm

He was a Republican until 2004 when his strong opposition to the war in Iraq and to the degradation of civil rights that flowed from the war on terror made it impossible for him to remain a Republican. He supports a $10 minimum wage, universal health care, and is opposed to abortion.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 am

I say three cheers for that executive committee!!!

Clearly, they are like me and really enjoy The Colbert Report, so they did not want him to have to quit the show.

He could not be a political candidate and have a national cable show.

(Meanwhile, we wonder who, if anyone, will challenge TNT showing re-runs of the Fred Thompson episodes of Law *& Order.)

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:19 am

Appa23 wrote:I say three cheers for that executive committee!!!

Clearly, they are like me and really enjoy The Colbert Report, so they did not want him to have to quit the show.

He could not be a political candidate and have a national cable show.

(Meanwhile, we wonder who, if anyone, will challenge TNT showing re-runs of the Fred Thompson episodes of Law *& Order.)
tee hee

clearly

TheCalvinator24

#11 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:21 am

Has the Ex Council issued a statement? If I had to guess, I would say they had valid grounds to exclude him because I seriously doubt that Colbert filed all the appropriate paperwork with the FEC.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#12 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:24 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Has the Ex Council issued a statement? If I had to guess, I would say they had valid grounds to exclude him because I seriously doubt that Colbert filed all the appropriate paperwork with the FEC.
What I read is that it costs the party 20 grand for every name on the ballot. It makes good fiscal sense to eliminate the less-than-viable ones.

As much as I love the guy, it was a joke, and you're nowhere near viable if you only run in one state, and pick your party affiliation based on how much they charge you to file.

Jokes over. Back to the day job....

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:26 am

I am sure that all of the people who voted for Nader in Florida in 2000 wish that they could take back their votes.

I'm sure that people voting for Colbert would be throwing away their votes in a similar way. He isn't a viable candidate.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:45 am

minimetoo26 wrote:What I read is that it costs the party 20 grand for every name on the ballot. It makes good fiscal sense to eliminate the less-than-viable ones.
OK, but Henry Hewes????